Frank Skinner hosts new Room 101

Comments

• Toby LatimerToby Latimer Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a crock of crap, a great show ruined . There was nothing wrong with the old format imo .
  • al531al531 Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    I liked it. Frank Skinner is always good value on these kind of things. Surprisingly impressed by Robert Webb as well, never thought he has been that funny on panel shows before. Could have done without Fern Britton though.
  • gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it because your fave comic wasn't on GP ;)

Haha, not at all :p
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So was this bad then?

I was put off by the guest list... and Frank Skinner.

The old '101 was more of a light filler show on BBC2. Increasingly, light filler shows are the new main event.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It had its good moments. Frank Skinner is generally funny and I like Danny Baker so that made it worthwhile.

My item to go into Room 101 - people who post on TV Forums whilst the show is going out on air - especially the ones who say, "this is boring" or such like after five minutes.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alfster wrote: »
    They should get rid of BBC3 and convert into a channel that shows unedited versions of shows...I'd watch them...

I saw the Micky Flanagan recording, and that was three hours. I thought after 3 rounds, that must be it, then they started a fourth round! It's quite tiring after queueing for a couple of hours too, and no refreshments served either.

As for showing the recordings in real-time on TV: I suspect that shows which seem a lot of fun when you're part of the audience, just aren't quite the same on TV and a 3-hour show would be tedious.
    What a crock of crap, a great show ruined . There was nothing wrong with the old format imo .

Except I'd stopped the old-style format because it seemed tired (although it's hasn't been made for five years or so).

I saw a bit of the new one tonight, and I will catch the rest of it later. It seemed fresher than with Paul Merton. But I would have preferred it on BBC2 and at a later time slot.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,684
    Forum Member
    They should left the old format alone IMO, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
    Had its moments though, I agree with Robert Webb on Jezza!
  • Louise-annLouise-ann Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember seeing the old 'Room 101' years ago and I rather enjoyed it, this however was not in the slightest enjoyable at all.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was pretty good. Though wanting to put panel shows in Room 101 is almost like the production team taking this piss seeing as that's what they've just turned this show into!!

Really I'm glad the format has changed. If it came back unchanged it would have felt same-old same-old with no reason for its return. Plus we get more guests.
  • fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was really good. Found it laugh out loud funny!
  • zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never mind Paul Merton.... bring back Nick Hancock.
  • CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Format is fine , it's the timeslot that's the problem - hence we'll get twee guests like Fern Britton - her "reasons" for putting Sci-Fi in were flimsy, ill thought out and most importantly totally unfunny.

It'll just be a 6/10 show every week if has to be 8.30pm.
  • tco200tco200 Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who ever told Baddiel & Skinner they were funny?

Fantasy football was superb back in the day
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do we really need another panel show on BBC1?

No word of a lie, next week's guests are

Frank Skinner invites MasterChef's Gregg Wallace, comedian Sarah Millican and television presenter Gabby Logan to compete to have their pet hates and peeves consigned to Room 101.
  • horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »

Frank Skinner invites MasterChef's Gregg Wallace, comedian Sarah Millican and television presenter Gabby Logan to compete to have their pet hates and peeves consigned to Room 101.

Millican .... as the other thread says, is there a panel show she won't appear on. Can't watch anything with her in, I would have watched Greg Wallace ... Gabby Logan is a bit dull.
  • CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hmm underlining yet again he timeslot issue, Wallace and Logan wouldn't have got a look in had it been a 10pm programme - really would work better with edgier guests imho.
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it but I preferred the format of one person because it was more intimate. It used to be like a chat show with a theme but now it's a gameshow.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

omg. I was just kidding about Sarah Millican. She has without doubt become the queen of panel shows.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starsailor wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not sure about this. The point of Room 101 (which was orginally on radio) was to actually find out more about the person in a more humourous way, like an interview with a spin

I'm with Danny on the 'panal show' with D-list comedians though...

If you were at the filming, you'd have seen that some reasons took about a week to explain!

There was also a lot of swearing that had to be cut/filmed again, and it could well have gone out later with that retained.

I did fear that when cut it would spoil the show.
  • JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,656
    Forum Member
    Obviously gonna depend on the quality of the guests each week - and I thought Robert Webb and Danny Baker were both pretty good. Overall it was a decent enough start.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    If you were at the filming, you'd have seen that some reasons took about a week to explain!

There was also a lot of swearing that had to be cut/filmed again, and it could well have gone out later with that retained.

I did fear that when cut it would spoil the show.

and it did
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked the new format - I wouldn't have made the effort to watch it if it was in the old style. It's less intimate than the 1-on-1 interview, but the dynamics work better with more guests. The other varied format changes feel like they're well pitched.

If you think it was border-line acceptable, I fear you'll struggle with the weeks to come, as they'll have likely selected the best show for this first slot. However, I will be making it a regular fixture, as with You Have Been Watching, The Bubble and I've Never Seen Star Wars not getting re-commissioned, I've missed this type of show.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see Room 101 back and the change in format is a welcome refresh.

I'm a huge fan of Danny Baker - even though he is better on the radio, it's good to see him back on TV after his recent health problems.
  • up to the vocalup to the vocal Posts: 2,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    So was this bad then?

I was put off by the guest list... and Frank Skinner.

The old '101 was more of a light filler show on BBC2. Increasingly, light filler shows are the new main event.

LIKE MASTERCHEF.....PEAK TIME 3 NIGHTS A WEEK!
    joke of the century.
  • up to the vocalup to the vocal Posts: 2,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    Guests used to only appear once on Room 101 (I believe).

Will this new format mean that we have another panel show that Sarah Millican can appear on every other week?

don't joke..think sh es on next week,