Options

UKTV considers `best of channel`

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
Forum Member
This article...

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/broadcasters/uktv-brings-back-branding/5053157.article?blocktitle=Latest-News&contentID=2319

Suggests UKTV are considering a best of channel for their new Freeview slot.

Like the sound of that.

Comments

• Options
    freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't read it!
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    Not a bad idea especially if it gets any more content that would otherwise be locked away on the pay channels only, but top of the wishlist will always be GOLD which would do very well on Freeview, if only the advertising money could persuade them.

Blighty could also do well I feel.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet they'll call it UKTV ONE and it'll also be on Sky and Virgin, despite the fact that it's trying to promote the full line-up of UKTV channels which are only available on these pay platforms.

Anyone watching it on a pay platform will already have access to the full range of UKTV channels so it's pointless having it on Sky/Virgin but I suppose it's another advertising stream...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,252
    Forum Member
    top of the wishlist will always be GOLD which would do very well on Freeview
    At least until people watch it and realise it doesn't live up to its reputation.
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    lstar337 wrote: »
    At least until people watch it and realise it doesn't live up to its reputation.

It would obviously be better if it was still more like the original UK Gold, however the comedy on Freeview I imagine would be hugely popular, it's a shame that people are missing out on these classic series that they paid for anyway via the licence fee!
  • Options
    ndev70ndev70 Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    intune wrote: »
    UKTV are considering a best of channel for their new Freeview slot.

Like the sound of that.

So do I, as long as it's not like the 'UKTV Preview Channel' that was on analogue Sky which had a red border on all sides of the picutre :eek:
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...Blighty could also do well I feel.
    A kind of 'worst of' channel then! :)
  • Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    Can't read it!

Try Google then if you still cannot read it

Here is the Link to the UKTV website http://uktv.co.uk/network/item/aid/656458%20page
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try Google then if you still cannot read it

Here is the Link to the UKTV website http://uktv.co.uk/network/item/aid/656458%20page
    Have to laugh at all the corporate crap these channels come out with when changing their branding. :D
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    UKTV is also expected to announce its fourth Freeview channel in the coming weeks. The slot is currently being filled with Dave Ja Vu, a +1 version of its male-skewing entertainment channel, and one option would be a best-of-UKTV channel akin to Sky’s Pick TV on Freeview.
    http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&biw=1024&bih=600&sclient=psy-ab&q=uktv+broadcast+now&oq=uktv+broadcast+now&gs_l=hp.3...20983.29210.1.29777.39.26.2.0.0.10.488.4738.11j6j3j3j3.26.0...0.0...1c.1.7.psy-ab.3MYpeFkdyO8&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.44158598,d.ZGU&fp=9d83362f0a0c32c3 (Click on the first link ;))

It seems like they are looking at a number of options and that type of channel would be fine by me. Indeed, it would be infinitely better than Blighty :eek: and I wouldn't be surprised if this 'best of' channel were to be put on Sky and Virgin Media as well because it would probably be a ratings winner.
  • Options
    tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    intune wrote: »
    This article...

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/broadcasters/uktv-brings-back-branding/5053157.article?blocktitle=Latest-News&contentID=2319

Suggests UKTV are considering a best of channel for their new Freeview slot.

Like the sound of that.

Can some one cut & pastes it please as i can not view the web pages.

Thank you.
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    tomee wrote: »

Thank you.
    Doing so would breach DS rules on copyright. The main paragraph is shown in TelevisionUser's post.
  • Options
    tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a516 wrote: »
    Doing so would breach DS rules on copyright. The main paragraph is shown in TelevisionUser's post.

Thanks very much.I have to confess i check your site first before posting that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tomee wrote: »

Thank you.
    a516 wrote: »

Well guys, my tip is the following. When you find you cannot read an interesting Broadcast Now article, what you do is copy the article headline into Google, hit return and the full story is then usually available by clicking the first or second link in the Google results list - sorted! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Blighty was to be put on freeview I would be fairly sure it wouldn't be in it's current form, hence UKTV G2 was greatly improved to become Dave on Freeview and Really was also significantly improved for Freeview launch
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Blighty was to be put on freeview I would be fairly sure it wouldn't be in it's current form, hence UKTV G2 was greatly improved to become Dave on Freeview and Really was also significantly improved for Freeview launch
    They would have to do something to pep it up. Changing the awful name for starters!
  • Options
    DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    Given UKTV's love for one name channels, if they do a best of channel, it'll probably be called something such as 'Select' or 'Choice.'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blighty isn't a bad name there are plenty of things that could go on the channel. They could of capitalised when Sky Real Lives closed. UKTV People was better than Blighty!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DejaVoodoo wrote: »
    Given UKTV's love for one name channels, if they do a best of channel, it'll probably be called something such as 'Select' or 'Choice.'

UKTV have done this type of thing before with their UKTV Bright Ideas channel which was a mix of programmes from their lifestyle channels. I thought it was OK as a channel and I assume that this new channel would be a mix of programming from all the other UKTV channels not on Freeview already.
  • Options
    jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blighty isn't a bad name there are plenty of things that could go on the channel.

Best of Blighty perhaps? :eek:

I doubt it would fill a 24 hour slot. :p
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,421
    Forum Member
    DejaVoodoo wrote: »

They're normally a bit more abstract than that. I'd suggest 'Steve' or 'Blender'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    They're normally a bit more abstract than that. I'd suggest 'Steve' or 'Blender'.
    Yes I was thinking that. Best I could come up with was 'Mash' and 'Refill'. No doubt they will pay a consultancy £100ks to come up with a new name ...I mean brand! ;)
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should have launched a channel like this years ago.

Instead they delivered niche lifestyle and history shows for Freeview launch.
  • Options
    jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should have launched a channel like this years ago.

Instead they delivered niche lifestyle and history shows for Freeview launch.

True, but TopUp TV was more involved in the linear pay TV side at that time, giving them an opportunity to use DTT and get a subscription income.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jj20x wrote: »
    True, but TopUp TV was more involved in the linear pay TV side at that time, giving them an opportunity to use DTT and get a subscription income.
    Their business model was always planned to be pay but UKTV were press ganged into providing FTA channel support for Freeview.