Coldplay - Midnight

sunrisegirlsunrisegirl Posts: 302
Forum Member
Coldplay's buzz single from the new album, very different for them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQeMxWjpr-Y

Comments

• TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely a grower. I'm not sure it will go down well with the hardcore Coldplay fans
  • RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think there is probably a good song in there somewhere - pity they ruined it with the "treatment" of the vocal - just makes it sound like he has a really bad lisp.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very interesting - got a Bon Iver vibe about it...
  • x+yx+y Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this. Absolutely fantastic. I don't think it's a Top 10 single, but would be a great album track.:)
  • nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    All the video needs is some sort of pretend sacrifice in those woods (or perhaps there's one I missed?) and they'd have ticked all the boxes for OTO American music artists (which looking back is where they've clearly been heading for a very long time).

Pretty bad track, but not their worst. It's unsettling and 'wrong' though somehow, which I guess is the point. I bet there's backmasking and all sorts in there.

A massive uber-fan btw until after the MX tour when the penny dropped about what they've sold themselves into (imo). Just pause the Atlas video when Chris sings 'lord' and then look into Rihanna and Jay-Z and all the illumanati stuff...

Very sadly, no more Coldplay for me (when I was ignorant they lit up my life).
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never cared for Coldplay very much, but I actually really like this. It's quite beautiful and haunting.02
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nattoyaki wrote: »
    All the video needs is some sort of pretend sacrifice in those woods (or perhaps there's one I missed?) and they'd have ticked all the boxes for OTO American music artists (which looking back is where they've clearly been heading for a very long time).

Pretty bad track, but not their worst. It's unsettling and 'wrong' though somehow, which I guess is the point. I bet there's backmasking and all sorts in there.

A massive uber-fan btw until after the MX tour when the penny dropped about what they've sold themselves into (imo). Just pause the Atlas video when Chris sings 'lord' and then look into Rihanna and Jay-Z and all the illumanati stuff...

Very sadly, no more Coldplay for me (when I was ignorant they lit up my life).

Unfair to say you were ignorant. It suited you to like them then. Liking any form of music is subjective. Nothing to do with ignorance. To say it is, is itself ignorant.
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate it and I love Coldplay. Atlas was so promising as well, hopefully the full album will be better.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beautiful really. There's certainly some of Eno's ambience and Germanic electronic music in there amongst other influences.

Interesting that U2 have also done a B/W video for their 'buzz' single and there is a strong Kraftwerk influence in that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    Please god make this a joke.

You know like when an artist releases a 'buzz' song that isn't that good but gets them in every news source in prep for their 'actual' material. I am praying this is a bit like that.

This is just terrible.
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good primer for the album. :)
  • MicknsivMicknsiv Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    Not sure on it yet. Not sure I'll ever grow to love it but it's different and you've got to applaud them for that. Not convinced it'll be on the album just yet though. Just a wee taster for the great things to come hopefully.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually had time to listen to it and really like it. It's hypnotic. Sounded good on my phone and I'm sure on my stereo it'll sound amazing loud. Also look forward to hearing some remixes. It's made for it. Brave move.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's fantastic. I'm not a fan of CP as such, but I respect them and don't subscribe to snobbishly dismissing them like so many people do.

Very hypnotic and I like music that makes me feel uneasy at the mo, like London Grammar. This is very weird, 70s, creepy and beautiful. Well done to them on not trying to make stadium-filling music for a change.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As usual they get bashed for trying something new.
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh look it's Boards of Coldplanada

Such a tedious band.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    Think it'd be perfect as an opener to LP6.

Love that they aren't afraid to try things new. All of their albums have such a unique feel, with Viva la Vida being my favourite.
  • sunrisegirlsunrisegirl Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    The official 1st single called Magic - out today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PvBc2TOpE4
  • x+yx+y Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like it. Looking forward to the new album 'Ghost Stories' too. It'll only has 9 tracks on the album, so hopefully they're all killers:)
  • Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both 'Magic' and 'Midnight' are brilliant and completely different. I'll take their material over the usual generic dance rubbish.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Magic' is nice enough but 'Midnight' is absolutely outstanding - shame it isn't the first single although it's a bit too leftfield and would plummet...

They are taking a risk on selling about half the previous album unless there's another 'Paradise' on this record but good on them. If a band with their success can't do something for the art of it then there's something wrong.
  • JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Album leaked a few days back and personally it's probably the most disappointing album I've listened to in years. Genuinely left me questioning what they were thinking with this one, really not doing it for me.
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JMTD wrote: »
    Album leaked a few days back and personally it's probably the most disappointing album I've listened to in years. Genuinely left me questioning what they were thinking with this one, really not doing it for me.

I streamed it and my view is pretty much the complete opposite of yours! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ghost Stories is going to get to no.1 with very high sales - over 80k in one day. Rare to see that in this day and age - its not being on spotify might help. Of course it's going to go to no.1 in like a zillion countries.

I'm looking forward to buying it tomorrow. :)