The day Strictly ceased to be a dance contest.

Comments

• SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    Damahepa wrote: »
    Tonight's result makes a mockery of any notion that this is a dance show.

Congratulations, detractors. You've officially made the show defunct as a contest of talent, and more of who can pull the funniest face.

Hyperbole
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tawny wrote: »
    It is an entertainment show not a dance competition - if it was the latter the public wouldn't be allowed to vote - what do we know about dancing.
    Then Scott and Alison should still be here.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But Pixie has danced brilliant all through the series and then just slightly below par in one dance and she out. That's wrong, very wrong.

If Simon hadn't made the mistake last night chances are he would have outscored Pixie on the first dance. In the DO he rectified that.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pixie was in the dance off because the public didn't vote for her - the judges had put her second on the night
  • Fiddly_FeltzFiddly_Feltz Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't care who wins but I like the best dancers to appear in every show. Pixie was never going to win, like Natalie last year but I'd have liked her in the final.

But oh well......she didn't receive enough votes to avoid the dance-off.
  • Cal ChristopherCal Christopher Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    They put the dancers fates in the hands of the public and if there isn't enough overriding support out there then situations like this happen. Whoever leaves the competition can't be what the public are enjoying about the show else there would be no opportunity for them to have gone - look at Jake and Frankie for example, they've never been in the dance-off once.

Strictly is a television programme. Television programmes are created for entertainment and if you're not entertaining enough to encourage the majority of the public to vote for you then you're gone.

It's sad to see Pixie go, however when you create reality competitions like this and leave decisions in the hands of the public, not everybody is going to be happy. I get that if this were a real life and professional dance competition Pixie would almost definitely be in the top three along with Frankie and probably Caroline and Simon - but it's not, it's effectively a popularity contest.

Pixie was popular enough to get to the quarter-finals; this is nothing to be sniffed at, she must've been doing something right!
  • Jennifer_FJennifer_F Posts: 4,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a dance contest but I can't remember a time when the best dancer by a country mile failed to reach the final - it means that we won't get to see the magic Pixie and Trent would have brought to the semis and the final.

Sad.

But the point is she is/was one of the least popular dancers with the public. The DO should always be judged on the DO and nothing else. Simon was head and shoulders better in my opinion based on the DO.
  • yorkshirelass2yorkshirelass2 Posts: 2,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then Scott and Alison should still be here.

Pixie didn't get the public vote, or she wouldn't have been in the dance off. Not the fault of the judges.
  • TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jennifer_F wrote: »
    But the point is she is/was one of the least popular dancers with the public. The DO should always be judged on the DO and nothing else. Simon was head and shoulders better in my opinion based on the DO.

I'm a bit confused tonight, I really don't know what to make of it all.
  • yorkshirelass2yorkshirelass2 Posts: 2,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jennifer_F wrote: »

I agree. I thought her cha cha cha was poor, and the music choice was appalling.
  • MACTOWINMACTOWIN Posts: 34,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Laura* wrote: »
    Natalie was the best dancer by a country mile but, didn't win, same as Ricky Whittle, Rachel Stevens, Colin Jackson etc. SCD stopped being a "dance" contest a long time ago.

I agree. Last year and this year proves that imo.
  • DamahepaDamahepa Posts: 14,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    Did you watch series one?
    If not, YouTube Chris Parker and paso and see who and what finished second.

I did see Chris Parker, but they didn't have a dance off back in the day- and at least Natasha won!

When the best dancer hasn't won (so, technically speaking, Zoe, Rachel, Ali, Denise and Natalie are the only 5 "best" dancers not to win (add Pixie to that list) only once did the person who did win fall noticeably short! Darren came from hero to zero, and you only have to see his Quickstep and American Smooth to see how capable he was in the end. Tom's freestyle and Foxtrot in the final showed he could more than hold his own against Rachel, Louis was as technically strong as Denise, just lacked performance early on, and Abbey wasn't exactly shoddy, especially when the other alternative with Susanna!

(And to be fair, Chris Hollins winning was worth it to stop the vile and arrogant Ricky Whittle winning whilst he was being questioned by the police!)
  • nancy1975nancy1975 Posts: 19,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I ceased to take seriously anything the judges said or do when they chucked Austin out. At least they did not have the temerity to lecture the public on their vote choices tonight when a few of their own in the past has been seriously bad. Austin might have had a chance of winning, whereas, it's doubtful if Pixie had.

But anyway...based on the dances this weekend it was the correct decision. I have found a few of Pixie's dances very entertaining, likewise about the same number of Simon's. Whether she has been the 'best' is moot because there are many different criterias for best. She was weak in the Latin, and that was her undoing, and it was a weak routine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Pixie was in the dance off because the public didn't vote for her - the judges had put her second on the night
    Uhh they didn't vote for Simon either.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pixie didn't get the public vote, or she wouldn't have been in the dance off. Not the fault of the judges.

This, and the routine wasn't as good as Simons, and he improved in the dance-off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. I thought her cha cha cha was poor, and the music choice was appalling.
    That they had to resort to lifts shows how poor the dance was - the judges let them get away with it but the public didn't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    It is disgusting, I am a Frankie fan but bl**dy hell that result was pathetic. The judges must have an agenda here.

Easy to forecast the result of the dance off. We did.

Darcy is besotted with the male dances and Len has a had a down on Pixie from the start. Just not a fair competition. I have said it before and will repeat - we have to get rid of the worst two judges with their own agendas.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, so next Christmas I look forward to Strictly Come Entertaining. When will you get it through YOUR head that dancing is the basis on which we have a show, hence there's even the charade of having judges! Otherwise replace them with stand up comedians, this year's winner of the Voice and Emeli Sande!!

Talk about a ridiculous over reaction. Len does know what he's talking about, and the remaining contestants are all strong performers. Pixie being the best dancer is subjective and the dance off has, according to the rules, to be judged upon the performance in the dance off and in therefore Simon was deemed strongest by a man who has 55 years experience in ballroom dancing. All remaining five dancers are all capable of winning. None of them are weak, therefore it is still a Dancing Entertainment Show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uhh they didn't vote for Simon either.
    Simon was lower in the judges vote
  • Andy_TwiggeAndy_Twigge Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    But at least they made it to the final of their years! Pixie finishing 6th is pathetic!

Agreed, absolute farce it really is. Personally I thought she and Trent were strong contenders for the title, but without question top 3. To effects only say she was only 6th best is just laughable. Len should be ashamed of himself and his excuses.
  • JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the stupid voting system that's the problem. They should go back to the original method.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And??
  • Andy_TwiggeAndy_Twigge Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Talk about a ridiculous over reaction. Len does know what he's talking about, and the remaining contestants are all strong performers. Pixie being the best dancer is subjective and the dance off has, according to the rules, to be judged upon the performance in the dance off and in therefore Simon was deemed strongest by a man who has 55 years experience in ballroom dancing. All remaining five dancers are all capable of winning. None of them are weak, therefore it is still a Dancing Entertainment Show.

The 'rules', yeah right, how often are they twisted to suit the producers/judges etc whim. Oh, and is Craig therefore to be castigated for going against 'the rules' by stating that he was also basing it on overall ability and the series?
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member

Has Simon ever beat Pixie in the judges vote?
  • DeltaBluesDeltaBlues Posts: 4,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's an entertainment show based on celebrities learning to dance. It is not, and has never been, a pure dancing competition.