Do you want a funeral when you die?

Comments

• mustard99mustard99 Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    I honestly dont mind why happens to my body, whatever makes my family and friends happy would do me.

My uncle had a humanist cremation, that was good, we went to the crem, a humanist talked about what kind of person he was, his body was lowered out of sight, we all then went to his favorite bar for a few drinks and sandwiches, it was actually my first funeral so i didnt know how to act, or what we were allowed to talk about, but i had loads of old photos of my uncles sent to me from all the family via facebook, and i scanned in some from my own collection, and i put them all on a table with a number on the back and let everyone look through them, and said if anyone wanted a copy of any just give me the number.

we spent most of the night going through all the photos, talking about him and his life and all the funny things we remembered about him.

It was actually a great night, and i came out of it with a sense of happyness that he was happy in his life rather than being depressed that he was now gone.

Im sure all funerals wont be the same mind you.:D

Very similar to my recent experience following my friends suicide.

Humanist cremation, local pub, lots of tears, laughter and love. The happiest sad day I've ever had.

It also drew a line. I felt more able to accept and move on having had the chance to say goodbye. I'd never really been fussed about having a funeral before but now I definitely would. As said earlier in the thread, it can be helpful for those left behind.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, can just put me out with the garbage, as its not like im going to know is it, or really care, as ill be deed.
  • richcleverrichclever Posts: 12,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personally don't, they're not enjoyable so wouldn't want to put family/friends through one :(

I'm thinking about donating my body to medical research, but not sure yet, still a long way to go hopefully :cool:

My Dad has done exactly this (hopefully to to the same lot in Monty Python's Meaning of Life Though - still got a few good years in him!). I thought it was a brilliant idea and will be looking at doing the same.

When (hopefully in a fair few years) he passes away we'll have a good old piss up for him without the hassle and expense of a full on funeral. If he can help anyone after his death whether by transplant or medical research (or medical students having a laugh) then all the good. We both realise that our bodies are just meat when we die, nothing else so why not.
  • Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm more concerned about my parents funerals then my own
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully it won't be for ages but I'd want one. Nothing religious though and I don't want people to be miserable and morbid. I want a day of people getting drunk and reminiscing about the good times and celebrating my life.

I've actually "enjoyed" a few funerals too, or rather enjoyed the wake afterwards when we've all got together and got drunk and had a good time. Always get some funny looks from a couple of people at work when I've turned up the day after a funeral with a hangover and proclaimed that it was a good do.

It should be a celebration of the persons life, not a miserable, wallowing, morbid affair.
  • puffenstuffpuffenstuff Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    after reading all of these posts and wanting a funeral as cheaply as possible it seems most of the costs involved are for getting a body from A to B. I shall tell my husband that no matter where I snuff it he can chuck me in the boot of the car and drive me to the crematorium.

I do strongly believe that you should be able to ring the council and they bring a special dustbin to your house with a black lockable lid and take the body away and burn it for you I'm sure that would be achievable under £500 because funerals are an absolute disgrace the costs involved.

there is just no need for the whole death industry and there is no reason to pass that debt on to the taxpayer the council should take bodies away for people and burn them at a reasonable cost and to me £3000 upwards is not reasonable
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tylersnan wrote: »
    My mum passed away on Saturday I had no idea that she had planned and paid for her funeral. We had never spoken about it, if we had I would have definitely tried to change her mind on one of her song choices!

Sincere condolences to you at this difficult time.
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Nope, can just put me out with the garbage, as its not like im going to know is it, or really care, as ill be deed.

That's how I feel, I just don't care what's done after I die.
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    after reading all of these posts and wanting a funeral as cheaply as possible it seems most of the costs involved are for getting a body from A to B. I shall tell my husband that no matter where I snuff it he can chuck me in the boot of the car and drive me to the crematorium.

I do strongly believe that you should be able to ring the council and they bring a special dustbin to your house with a black lockable lid and take the body away and burn it for you I'm sure that would be achievable under £500 because funerals are an absolute disgrace the costs involved.

I'm pretty sure that, so long as you comply with the requirements of the crematorium and are willing to pay their fee, you can book a slot as a private individual. The deceased would have to be contained in a suitable coffin; this would need to be home-made because, without using their services for a traditional funeral, a funeral director almost certainly wouldn't be willing to sell you one.

I think you need a certificate from two different doctors before a body can be cremated. This would be an additional cost.

You would also need the co-operation of family and/or friends to transport the coffin to the crematorium. This could be done in an estate car or a van, it doesn't need to be a hearse.

I do remember a chap's family did this several years ago. It made the national press. They even had a non-religious ceremony for him before the cremation, and they all sang "The Red Flag!"
  • SoomacdooSoomacdoo Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    Galaxy266 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that, so long as you comply with the requirements of the crematorium and are willing to pay their fee, you can book a slot as a private individual. The deceased would have to be contained in a suitable coffin; this would need to be home-made because, without using their services for a traditional funeral, a funeral director almost certainly wouldn't be willing to sell you one.

I think you need a certificate from two different doctors before a body can be cremated. This would be an additional cost.

You would also need the co-operation of family and/or friends to transport the coffin to the crematorium. This could be done in an estate car or a van, it doesn't need to be a hearse.

I do remember a chap's family did this several years ago. It made the national press. They even had a non-religious ceremony for him before the cremation, and they all sang "The Red Flag!"

Go back to post No 49 on page 2, there are some good cost saving ideas on the link.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really not bothered but would like my ashes throwing over Blackpool prom (North, just past the Cleopatra's Needle), where my dad went. Definitely don't want a grave.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want to be plastinated by Gunther von Hagans and then by body fitted with a complex clockwork mechanism that allows me to walk about.

With instructions to be wound up once a year to scare the bejesus out all of the little trick or treating children on Halloween! :D
  • deev1ne0nedeev1ne0ne Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not bothered by having a service/funeral or not, as long as I'm cremated and there's none of this religious shite. I attend a religious funeral today for the first time, and what a crock of shit! Hardly any mention of the person who died, more about sit down, stand up, sing off-key and repeat. Then the ****ing incense stank to high buggery, followed by more droning about sky fairies. For good measure it was cold in the chapel, the benches were clearly designed to induce piles, and the parking was horrific.

So, on reflection: warm or air conditioned venue, plush seating, good parking and no bloody hymns will now be my requirements.
  • RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im a sales representative who works on behalf of the UK's largest pre-paid funeral plan provider and I think the cost of funerals are absolute insanity. The average cost at the moment is 3.5 - 4k and that's looking set to more then double over the next 10 years.

The government should be doing more to help us with this because it is a very expensive problem. At the moment they allow £700 towards a 'Paupers funeral' in which you're thrown onto a conveyor belt and rushed into the furnace whilst your family have 5 minutes to say goodbye before the next body is chucked on like a piece of meat. It's inhumane and nobody should see the world out like that.

Personally I'd like a simple, light hearted funeral which ends with the most grand firework display you've ever seen, with the final firework full of my ashes so that I can shoot up and light up the sky. Cheesy but sweet I think
  • gamez-fangamez-fan Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well ive paid for mine up front a couple of years back so i guess i must want a funeral :)
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My final wishes would be for something like a Humanist funeral, nothing religious in it at all, from the father son holy bollocks, right through to everyone reading out to the sky fairies prayer. I have managed without religion in my life for almost 30 years, I have no intention of it having any part after my death.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I would like a funeral. Not that I'll know anything about it. I want to be cremated and I'd like my ashes to be kept in my home. And I don't mind if they get knocked on the floor and a cat pees on them like in Meet the Parents - it's the kind of thing I'd find amusing if it happened. :D
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gamez-fan wrote: »
    Well ive paid for mine up front a couple of years back so i guess i must want a funeral :)

Sod's Law says you'll be lost at sea
  • hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    I want everything and that song they play in the new Fast and Furious film as they lower me to the ground.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I dont know really... I mean, I would want my family/friends etc to know I was loved, but I wouldnt know anything about it obviously :confused:
  • CosinCosin Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personally don't, they're not enjoyable so wouldn't want to put family/friends through one :(

I'm thinking about donating my body to medical research, but not sure yet, still a long way to go hopefully :cool:

Gunter von Havens?
  • 1manonthebog1manonthebog Posts: 3,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I'd be happy for a send of in the brown bin, Well I take it that the brown bin would be suitable IE garden waste and food waste?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately I have very recent experience of this as my mum died 2 weeks ago. She had donated her body to medical science as she didn't want us kids having thousands to pay in funeral costs. She always would say 'just put me in the bin', she didn't care about having a funeral etc
    What we have found out tho is medical science can and do refuse the body, we found out 2 days after she died thinking that side of it was all sorted as per her wishes. We then had to find a funeral directors etc
    We had a 'non attended' cremation, total cost £1500. I know it sounds harsh and I am concerned about being judged, but this is what she wanted, no funeral
    We will have a wake tho where family and friends can all get together and say a goodbye and share happy memories
    Also we found out that even if the medical team accept the body, once they are done with it so to speak, you then have to make arrangements for it's disposal anyway! Not sure if this is just in my area but it's definitely something to consider, and definitely have a plan B
  • PatchbunclePatchbuncle Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've told my family that I have no wish for a funeral. I've asked for a non-attended cremation. On the day of the cremation I want them to do something I've always loved; going for a slap up pub lunch and a good time together. The only exception would be if it was a sudden death and it was needed for closure.

I've hated the funerals I've been to. My nan's was done by a local vicar and his speech smacked of 'insert name here' whenever her name was mentioned. It was awful. My FiL had a humanist ceremony which was ok but I hated the production line nature of the crematorium. My MiL was literally allowed one minute after the (woollen) coffin went out of view before we were chivied out and the next lot ushered in. An uncle had a woodland burial. The problem was that it was (by nature I suppose) very remote and the weather was wet and wild. We felt awful leaving him out there. It was very bleak.

So, it's off to the pub for my lot. They can collect my ashes later and scatter them wherever, I won't mind a jot!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    I've told my family that I have no wish for a funeral. I've asked for a non-attended cremation. On the day of the cremation I want them to do something I've always loved; going for a slap up pub lunch and a good time together. The only exception would be if it was a sudden death and it was needed for closure.

I've hated the funerals I've been to. My nan's was done by a local vicar and his speech smacked of 'insert name here' whenever her name was mentioned. It was awful. My FiL had a humanist ceremony which was ok but I hated the production line nature of the crematorium. My MiL was literally allowed one minute after the (woollen) coffin went out of view before we were chivied out and the next lot ushered in. An uncle had a woodland burial. The problem was that it was (by nature I suppose) very remote and the weather was wet and wild. We felt awful leaving him out there. It was very bleak.

So, it's off to the pub for my lot. They can collect my ashes later and scatter them wherever, I won't mind a jot!

Sounds like an excellent idea, heading to a nice pub where family and friends can have an informal get together :)