Options

Favourite secondhand bookshops

Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
Forum Member
I have a horrible suspicion that bookshops will soon become rare finds due to the Ebook/Kindle/whatever electronic device sinister and stealthy advances ;)

Post your recommendations for great secondhand bookshops all over the UK and Ireland, so those of us who love the feel sight and smell of real books can continue to do so.

Here's mine :

Barter Books in Alnwick Northumberland ... heaven on earth.

Bookends in Bangor Northern Ireland ... two shops next door to each other and not bad atall, one shop has every book at £1.

Comments

• Options
    GortGort Posts: 7,467
    Forum Member
    Amazon used books section.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    There hasn't been a second hand bookshop near me for 25 years.

We did have a nice little independent bookshop for a good few years, but then a borders came along and crushed them, Then they packed up business.

And to be fair, Ebooks are not the death of bookshops completely, the internet was killing them well before Ebooks started becoming popular.

I would love a nice second hand bookshop though, or a rare bookshop, or even a nice independent again :) Even though I am a Kindlehead I am still a book lover and like finding first editions of some old leather bound tomes :)
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gort wrote: »
    Amazon used books section.

Along with Abebooks and Biblio-online sellers-and Ebay.
  • Options
    tomvoxxtomvoxx Posts: 2,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Button62 wrote: »
    ....Post your recommendations for great secondhand bookshops all over the UK and Ireland, so those of us who love the feel sight and smell of real books can continue to do so.

I mean no disrespect to the internet lovers of cheap book buying. It's this bit of the OP's post that's important. Looking through piles of real books to find maybe the one you've always fancied reading and never got round to. Maybe finding that rare gem. I miss second hand bookshops.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Marrins@Sandgate Road@Folkestone@Kent which has been here since 1962 and the business since 1946.
  • Options
    weateallthepiesweateallthepies Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Secondhand bookshops aren't exactly helpful to the industry either since none of the money makes it back to authors and publishers. However, it's the secondhand bookshops which will likely survive once paper books become less popular and more collectible.

Most of the bookshops I loved have already gone so I can't think of any particular reccomendations. I have some success at charity shops though, and the oxfam bookshops whilst overpriced can have some rare finds.
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I second Barter Books in Alnwick, it's awesome!

I love a decent second hand book shop, the kind with piles of random old stuff - not the Oxfams that have a few shelves of fairly recent paperback bestsellers. I really like old (as in Victorian/Edwardian) household manuals, cookbooks, that sort of thing. I've got quite a few really fab ones, including a 'ladies' book from the turn of the century, with all sorts of advice about *whisper* 'lady things'.
  • Options
    GortGort Posts: 7,467
    Forum Member
    tomvoxx wrote: »
    I mean no disrespect to the internet lovers of cheap book buying. It's this bit of the OP's post that's important. Looking through piles of real books to find maybe the one you've always fancied reading and never got round to. Maybe finding that rare gem. I miss second hand bookshops.

Admittedly, I was being facetious. Still, I do find the Amazon used books to be great when I want a particular book that's out of print, and can get that book within days. For instance, I got Maurice and A Passage to India, both by EM Forster, from Amazon's used book service. Both are out of print and it's not too certain that I'd have found them at a second hand shop. Sometimes I think of a book I want, and want to be able to get it without too much hassle.

However, yeah, browsing books in second hand book stores is something, when you have the time to get to them, that's a good experience. Maybe when looking for Maurice and A Passage to India, I might have noticed a book that I wouldn't have considered before. Swings and roundabouts comes to mind.
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voltaire & Rousseau in Glasgow is my favourite by miles - totally a browsing store, there's absolutely no point in going there looking for something in particular. (Thistle Books nearby is better for that.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    pickwick wrote: »
    Voltaire & Rousseau in Glasgow is my favourite by miles - totally a browsing store, there's absolutely no point in going there looking for something in particular. (Thistle Books nearby is better for that.)

I love it there! I can spend ages rummaging and never leave empty handed. And it has the cat:D
    Awkward when I knock a big pile over though:o but they're used to it, haha.

And yeah, when I know what I want I go to Thistle Books. Used to get my uni books there, I'd bring my long lists and the guy would help me get them.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are endangered and increasingly rare, but:

Baggins Rochester. Still largest outside Hay.

Skoob, Brunswick Centre London.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »
    They are endangered and increasingly rare, but:

Baggins Rochester. Still largest outside Hay.

Skoob, Brunswick Centre London.

That shop is literally 20 minutes from my house. :)
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rochester also had several other small 2nd hand bookshops, as well as the cathedral/castle etc. Not ot mention Dickens Musem. V nice small town to visit from London. Haven't been recently ..

http://www.dickensmuseum.com/vtour/groundfloor/fronthallway/dickenslife.php

http://www.walksoflondon.co.uk/39/a-charles-dickens-walk-in.shtml
  • Options
    ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    Oxfam, The best second hand books i got them at Oxfam.

I like Henry Pordes in Charing Cross also.
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a brilliant Oxfam book shop in Nottingham City Centre, can't go into town without going in there.