Options

e-mail with billing information not mine

monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,962
Forum Member
dunno what else to call this but just got a strange email with billing information for a product by someone called lisa gunning and this isnt me??

Comments

• Options
    YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    Have you been living in a cave for the last 10 years?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yosemite wrote: »
    Have you been living in a cave for the last 10 years?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing

but its not mine. its someone in the U.s.
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but its not mine. its someone in the U.s.
    In that case, just forget about the email.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sigurd wrote: »
    In that case, just forget about the email.

so i shouldnt be worried?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why should you be worried? The billing information isn't for something you've bought, so the email doesn't affect you. Presumably it's just another trashy phishing email. The cheating sender hopes you'll respond to it — so don't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why should you be worried? The billing information isn't for something you've bought, so the email doesn't affect you. Presumably it's just another trashy phishing email. The cheating sender hopes you'll respond to it — so don't.

it couldve been using my biling information but theyre own address. i dunno its just weird :confused:

i presume its just a mistake in an email as its from the us
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    I receive weird emails from time to time with service repair orders relating to, and photos of,heavy duty earth-moving machinery, similar to JCBs.

At first I thought it was some sort of spam or scam, but they just keep trickling through for no apparent reason. There was no link or anything, just an attached pdf or jpg.

I think one of the service engineers must have a very similar email address to mine or something.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Presumably it's just another trashy phishing email.

Or more likely a typo. If the source looks genuine just tell them they seem to have the wrong address for their customer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Or more likely a typo. If the source looks genuine just tell them they seem to have the wrong address for their customer.
    Well, I suppose Mona could do so, but I reckon it's better to simply ignore dubious emails. I think it's unwise to make any contact with potential scammers, because doing so can just encourage them to think they've found someone gullible.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I suppose Mona could do so, but I reckon it's better to simply ignore dubious emails. I think it's unwise to make any contact with potential scammers, because doing so can just encourage them to think they've found someone gullible.

Like I said, if the source looks genuine. It's hardly unknown for people to mistype email addresses, even their own, and usually helpful if you point out that they're sending mail to the wrong person (if only so it stops landing in your inbox). We can't tell from what the OP says whether it's scammy or not.

Even "genuine" emails can be confusing if you weren't expecting to e.g. get mistakenly copied into a Canadian discussion about an order for custom-printed ice hockey shirts (as has happened to me!).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    the website is genuine. its from PetCareRx.com and it just has details of the persons name, billing information and what she bought.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the website is genuine. its from PetCareRx.com and it just has details of the persons name, billing information and what she bought.

It's still spam. Just delete it.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does your email address look like one that a person of that name might want?

When I was with virginmedia I had a short email address : js@blueyonder.co.uk (for example). Occasionally I had genuine emails intended for people with the initials "js" who'd put that address in their "return address" field.

I've no idea how they thought that would work. :)
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    It is a genuine business and it sounds like a genuine mistake. There is nothing online to suggest that emails from them are some kind of scam. People do make mistakes. You could either just ignore it and doubtless it'll get resolved between the customer and the business but there is a chance you will receive marketing emails from them or their affiliated third parties if they keep your email address on their database and the real customer hasn't opted out of receiving them. You can unsubscribe if you receive them.

Or you could reply including their email to you, unless it is a no reply one, advising them they have made a mistake and asking them to remove your email address from their database. Don't use your real name. Or you could visit their website and start a Live Chat again using your alias or complete the webform advising them of the error and giving them the order number and any other relevant info.

Again, remember to ask them to remove your email address from their database. Put your false name and a false phone number on the webform as well as your real email address.
  • Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, not at all. Just delete it and move along. Its a VERY common phising techinique, seeing it a lot of late (work with computers and come across it from time to time). Also the "confirm your account information" emails are another ploy to get people to give out their bank details.

Golden Rule - Never respond to emails about your bank accounts in emails. If its urgent, they will call or write to you. Plus you can always ring up your branch and check if they have need for information. NEVER even respond the emails, they will just shower you with more crap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    No, not at all. Just delete it and move along. Its a VERY common phising techinique, seeing it a lot of late (work with computers and come across it from time to time). Also the "confirm your account information" emails are another ploy to get people to give out their bank details.

Golden Rule - Never respond to emails about your bank accounts in emails. If its urgent, they will call or write to you. Plus you can always ring up your branch and check if they have need for information. NEVER even respond the emails, they will just shower you with more crap.
    yeah i know all about that but this one didnt seem like it was out to con. it does seem like a genuine mistake. it has their total billing information and what they bought and where it was going to there was nothing for me to click on
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is it a 'Please do not reply to this email it is for information only' email?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    evil c wrote: »
    Is it a 'Please do not reply to this email it is for information only' email?

it doesnt say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If it doesn't say then either reply as per my Post #16 if you think it's a genuine mistake or put the sender in your blocked senders list and then delete it.
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dunno what else to call this but just got a strange email with billing information for a product by someone called lisa gunning and this isnt me??
    Is it a Yahoo email address? Yahoo are recycling old email addresses and it's a known problem (reports of people gettting email intended for previous owner) as a result. See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24283179

The person could have had your email address before, but not updated the email address with the retailer purchased from.
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had my hotmail.com email address since 1996. Apparently there is someone who lives in Tennessee with the same addy, and I keep getting emails intended for her. I just don't see how this can happen.
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are really worried about this, rather than responding direct to the email, you could try having a chat with them via their "Live Chat" link. It could, of course, still be part of a scam but they do look pretty legit. Alternatively there is a postal address in Lynbrook NY which could be used if you don't mind the cost of a letter to the US.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is it a Yahoo email address? Yahoo are recycling old email addresses and it's a known problem (reports of people gettting email intended for previous owner) as a result. See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24283179

The person could have had your email address before, but not updated the email address with the retailer purchased from.

Yeah, ive had my email address for a long time.
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking around Google at reviews of that company suggests that they are legit, but not too efficient, with a number of comments about things going wrong, so probably that is all this is too. Best to forget all about it,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i kept getting emails from that company. very annoying

also this isnt the same thing but i keep getting emails from ds with my username and requests to change passwords, im always logged in.