Options

Ever helped catch a criminal?

Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
Forum Member
✭✭
Saw this story doing the rounds today:
This is the moment a have-a-go hero teenager tackled a thug who was fleeing after shoving two female police officers to the ground.

Kiya Ingham, 16, stepped in after seeing a drunken suspect force his way out of the back of a police car and push the two officers in Brighton.

After leaping to action and dragging the suspect to the ground he directed another police car to the scene to help the officers already there.

Link plus video of the incident here:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/watch-heroic-teenager-rugby-tackle-violent-thug-who-assaulted-two-female-police-officers-9736693.html

Good on the young lad I say! :)

I was once in a busy city centre and heard a bit of a commotion nearby. I looked up to see someone sprinting out of a mobile phone shop with stolen goods in his hands, plus an employee/manager chasing him and shouting. Quick as a flash, a guy standing nearby stuck out his arm and clothes-lined the thief across the neck, sending him flying and dropping the stolen goods as he did so. Sadly, the thief got up and escaped by climbing on the back of a waiting getaway motorcycle. But not before he'd menacingly (though emptily) warned "You're dead" to the guy who clothes-lined him! :D

My wife tells the story of when she was a young girl, she and her brother were in the car at the petrol station while her dad was inside paying. A young lad ran out the kiosk, having stolen something. My wife's dad gave chase and caught him, put him in the back of the car (next to my wife and her brother!) and delivered him to the police station!:D

Have you ever been a have-a-go hero, or witnessed anyone doing so? Any amusing tales to share?

If you found youself in such a situation, do you think you'd get involved, or stay well back?

Comments

• Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Years ago. It was a short chase after a young lad who was trying to steal a stereo out of one of the cars at work. Embarrassingly I fell over during the chase, but as the miscreant ran across some playing fields, a van driver on the road on the other side helped catch him. The boy was brought back to our offices in the back of the removal type van where the police were waiting for him. Amusingly, the boy was sat down on the floor in the back, and the copper climbed up and ordered him to stand up, before bundling him to the floor of the van again to cuff him! Seemed a waste of energy to me, but I guess the officer had a bit of a crowd by now and he had to be seen doing his job. I don't know what happened to the light-fingered guttersnipe after he was taken away. We all gave a statement.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Well done that lad.
    On a side note, here we see why you never see two females on foot patrol in a town centre at night.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done that lad.
    On a side note, here we see why you never see two females on foot patrol in a town centre at night.

I think you'll find we do.

Well done to that lad.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    35 years ago someone came into our garden and took a pint of milk, my dad got on my brother's bike and caught him further up the street. My dad was actually a Police Officer but just gave him a good telling off.

I once witnessed a young lad on a motorbike being chased by a police car, he took refuge in someone's back garden and the police drove straight past. So I followed them up the road in my van and told them where he was hiding.

He was taken to court for various traffic offences and I had to appear as a witness but fortunately after going to court twice he pleaded guilty at the last minute and I didn't have to give evidence.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have restrained numerous violent people, or people with weapons for the police to takeaway. I have also helped out the police several times when they have been struggling.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Huh? Since when?

As a civilian, twice. Once to help an overpowered store detective and one, a couple of years ago when i rode my push bike into a suspect running away from two policemen, restrained him until they caught up.
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, I've been on the other end though.

Having been detained under section 136, I was left in the back of a police car and made a break for it.
    Some do-gooder grabbed hold of me and got a kick in the nuts and covered in my blood for his efforts.

Mind your own business IMHO. Not everyone in the back of police car is even a criminal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. I'd probably keep my nose out of it unless it was me or a member of my family they'd stolen from or whatever.
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muze wrote: »

Having been detained under section 136, I was left in the back of a police car and made a break for it.
    Some do-gooder grabbed hold of me and got a kick in the nuts and covered in my blood for his efforts.

Mind your own business IMHO. Not everyone in the back of police car is even a criminal.

Cool story...
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stayed behind after work, to mark books as I walked home and there were too many to carry. There was only the Head teacher and the caretaker in school, apart from me and they were both downstairs and at the other end of the building.

Suddenly there was this kerfuffle outside my classroom door and I realised a police chase was in full swing, down the corridor outside my room. I knew all my colleagues had gone home and I was alone, so I pushed the door gently shut, and let the chase continue on past my door and down the corridor. No doubt it was one of the parents, come in to steal a school computer. (1990s, no CCTV or security doors, etc). That was a rough school and my first job. There were often break ins targeting the computer rooms and I think they even knew which parent it was. I didn't look to see who it was - just saw the uniforms.

A few years back, I was a witness to a harassment case, and as I gave a statement to the coppers, they looked increasingly shocked. They then asked me if I'd also sue the person for harassment as he'd been putting pressure on me not to give evidence and that came up during my statement. I agreed. I suppose that is helping the police as they seemed very invested in banging this person to rights and I was so used to them being a dick, I hadn't particularly realised I was being harassed.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kind of, there was a lot of strange goings on at this theme park, i knew all along who it was but i let the investigators get on with their job and didn't interfere, but i knew within five minutes who it was but i didn't say anything and i let them figure it out themselves, it turned out as i expected it to, it was the owner of the theme park doing it to drum up interest, but to speak frankly if i may, scooby doo was no bloody help to them at all, he hindered if anything
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No thanks. If I see something that I thinks needs it, I will intervene as best as I can.
  • Options
    MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not very exciting, but I called 101 a few weeks ago to report a drunk driver. Saw a woman in Tesco slurring her words and bumping into the counters, go out into the car park and vomit a few times, then get into a car and drive off :o

The person talking the call sounded incredibly bored the whole way through the call but she took the details. I never heard anything back but I hope they caught the driver.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good on him, and theres all those other guys just walking by, or stopping just to watch.
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was on Birmingham New Street once and saw some people running towards me, away from the police with the sound of a shop alarm in the background.

With amazing bravery and swift decisiveness, I, errm, gawped gormlessly as they ran past me. Couldn't even tell you what race or gender they were. I'm great in a crisis situation, me :D
  • Options
    ZipMasonZipMason Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    No, but there was a situation where I wish I had done so. :(

It was when I spotted unusual activity in my school's sports hall in the evening, and then the head master later told us about the break-in and said he is appealing for witnesses. I came forward, and gave a statement, but nothing else ever came of the case. (Plus the school was short of some of the sports equipment from the incident).
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We caught a burglar in our house a few years ago (Children in Need night). OH sat on them until the police arrived.

They had an electronic tag on as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What you was detained under the mental health act. You could of been a risk to the public.
  • Options
    James_MayJames_May Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think most would err on the side of caution if they saw a man, covered in blood, trying to escape from the back of a police car.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've sat on and tangled with many a shop lifter at work.

I once vaulted over a fence to chase a burlger out of someones house.

And, the one thing I'm most proud of, is the time I stopped an old man from leading a child away from his dad
  • Options
    AliU2maniacAliU2maniac Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sister and I were walking home through my local mall and we saw a lone policewoman remonstrating with a group of Asian men because they were swearing at shoppers.She told them to leave but one bloke grabbed her and threw her to the ground.He then ran towards us and we grabbed him by the arms and pinned him against a wall.He was so shocked that he just gave up.He was an idiot because the police station was only around the corner :blush: As we made the citizens arrest cop cars came flying around the corner.His mates were giving us dirty looks and shouting insults but we weren't worried.The thug got 9 months because he reoffended while he was out on bail.