Options

Quick Covering Letter Question

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 896
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm emailing a job application, and i'm all read up on how to do that but all the job description gave was an email address, which for ease I will say was [email="t.smith@x"]t.smith@x[/email]

I've searched the website and can't find a first name or whether t is a male or a female. So....how do I open the email?

Dear Sir/Madam doesn't seem right but is that the only choice I have?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    you could always put "to whom it may concern" or alternatively address it as the initial/name of the e mail address eg dear t smith
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ring the company and ask for the first name of T Smith or whoever and if they ask why just tell them you are responding to a job application. I'm sure they won't mind :)
  • Options
    padpad Posts: 6,699
    Forum Member
    Where I don't know the person's full name I just start an email 'Hello' .. I wouldn't personally use Dear Sir/Madam or Dear T.Smith because they don't sound right to me..

p.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ring the company and ask for the first name of T Smith or whoever and if they ask why just tell them you are responding to a job application. I'm sure they won't mind :)
    That's what I would recommend too, and demonstrates initiative on your part :)

However if this is a 'blind' company that you have no other contacts for, you could take advantage of the fact that they are requesting applications via email, a much less formal way than by written letter. In which case you could just leave off the salutation completely.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes emails are a lot less informal so no need to really have any dear .... certainly not dear sir/ madam!

Good luck! :)
  • Options
    CaramelsCaramels Posts: 2,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would address it Dear Sirs; it is the correct form of address for a business letter if you don't know the persons name you are addressing. Even though emails are usually more informal, I think in this case it is still acceptable.
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a unisex name and it really pees me off when people presume I am male so I would definately ring and ask the name, failing that I know it is formal but would suggest Dear Sir/Madam

I bet they get loads of letters with Dear T. Smith (or the said name). Seen loads like that and it is laughable how no-one uses their initiative.

Good luck
  • Options
    ohmygoshohmygosh Posts: 9,697
    Forum Member
    I'm emailing a job application, and i'm all read up on how to do that but all the job description gave was an email address, which for ease I will say was [email="t.smith@x"]t.smith@x[/email]

I've searched the website and can't find a first name or whether t is a male or a female. So....how do I open the email?

Dear Sir/Madam doesn't seem right but is that the only choice I have?

someone else has said the right thing to do, give them a ring, explain why and request proper name and then address correctly.

Good luck! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give them a ring or just go for the "dear sir/ madem"

It depends to some degree what level the job is you are applying for but if I received any email for a job in my team which started with "hello" it would go straight in the trash as someone who cannot correctly judge when it is necessary to be formal.
  • Options
    topcat2topcat2 Posts: 6,265
    Forum Member
    Astaroth wrote:
    Give them a ring or just go for the "dear sir/ madem"

It depends to some degree what level the job is you are applying for but if I received any email for a job in my team which started with "hello" it would go straight in the trash as someone who cannot correctly judge when it is necessary to be formal.

I'm applying for jobs at the moment. I started by ringing up people to say to whom should the application be addressed but people seemed quick peeved about it or didn't know when I rang so I've now started emailing just to say I understand your firm has vacancies to whom should I address the application and people have started being quite receptive to that. So maybe email their general enquiry email if they do have one to ask.