Charlotte Church: "Cheryl Cole can't sing"

Comments

• ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Rob22 wrote: »
    Cheryl Cole can sing.

if she couldn't, she wouldn't be in the position she's in today

Unfortunately these days ability to sing or perform have very little to do with success. Especially in girl and boybands. I'm not writing her off completely, but from what I see written here whatever ability she had to get voted into Girls Aloud seems to have diminished in many people's eyes.

We have to remember that Cheryl got the Girls Aloud gig by public vote. If this year's X Factor has proved one thing the voting masses have very bad taste and will go for a sob story over true talent. Hence why truly talented singers like Laura White were voted off.

I'm not a Girls Aloud fan, but many people get pleasure from their music, so to be honest whether or not Cheryl is a truly good singer or not doesn't bother me. But even fans of hers have to remain objective. I'm a big Madonna fan, but I can see that she is a limited singer and much of her performance is about image, spectacle and production. I have seen her live shows and have heard her sing perfectly well for a pop performer. However, I wouldn't hail her as a great singer or the best female vocalist as she is clearly not. But I still like her music.

To be honest pop performers and girl bands etc will always get the hardest time when actually there are far worse singers out there in the world of rock and indie music. I think in Cheryl's case it's because if she can't sing you have to question what she does offer. She doesn't play an instrument and doesn't write songs. Rock and indie band singers seem to get away with bad vocals because they are fronting a band and write their own material. David Bowie and Bob Dylan could never sing a note, but both are great song writers and performers. Oasis vocals are as flat as you can get at times, as are Richard Ashcroft's and Chris Martin's. But there seems to be a bit more integrity to them.

Best
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    yag wrote: »
    I think that Charlote is jealous because of

Cheryl is more popular
    Cheryl is richer (with husband)
    Cheryl is thinner
    Cheryl is better looking
    Cheryl is not Welsh
    Cheryl has a lot of the media eating out of her scrawny, bony hand

Now why the **** should she be jealous of Cheryl because she's not Welsh?
  • Rob22Rob22 Posts: 11,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charlotte Church is a very bitter person.

In the past, she has cussed many celebs down, she has a very negative outlook towards other celebrities.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheryl Cole has a beautiful voice.

Me thinks you have confused her looks for her voice...a beautiful voice??...no i dont think so...if i was her id keep my mouth firmly shut and sit there looking pretty as a peach:p. She ruins it for me when she opens that gob of hers...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheryl doesn't have the best voice, no, but she CAN sing, even if it is limited. She is in a band and is not a solo singer.

I also agree that Charlotte Church is coming across as a bitter person these days. I don't know WHAT her problem is. Maybe it's because she released a pop album and it bombed? What is it that bothers her so much about Cheryl in particular?!
  • Soulmate9Soulmate9 Posts: 7,407
    Forum Member
    Cheryl Cole has a beautiful voice.
    I see Charlotte Church has nothing better to do, than cuss other celebs down to make herself feel better.

quite pathetic really.

I have yet to hear evidence of it. Every time I hear her, she's as flat as a pancake.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will admit, Cheryl doesn't have a powerful voice, her voice isn't as strong as Madonna, Mariah or Whitney

but she can still sing.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheryl has a very basic vocal range which just about gets her by, mainly because this is masked by the stronger voices of her bandmates.

Charlotte seems to have all but given up on her career these days. The foray into pop was not a good move and did not suit her voice.
    Forum Member
    I will admit, Cheryl doesn't have a powerful voice, her voice isn't as strong as Madonna, Mariah or Whitney

but she can still sing.

Madonna doesn't have a strong singing voice either. She's flat and a bit nasally. It works in a studio, but live, it's not good.
  • FunkyMummaFunkyMumma Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    charlotte church is indeed right...

cheryl cole is absolutely awful and it pained my ears listening to her singing on xfactor.
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Also,since when do you need to be able to sing to be an X Factor judge? I don't recall Louis,Simon or Sharon ever being known for their own singing talent. ;)

Cheryl's supposed area of 'musical expertise' is singing. That is what she's supposed to be knowledgable about (unless she's an internationally successful and respected record producer/talent scout/record company exec on the quiet:rolleyes:). Given her dire performance (as part of Girls Aloud) on the X-Factor a couple of weeks back, people are, quite rightly, questioning her suitability to judge vocal ability in others. Even if she does have the ability to do so, the fact that she sings flat in a live performance with her badmates doesn't exactly give a good impression to her fellow judges, contestants, studio audience or the viewers at home.

Perhaps Cheryl should be asked to sing a solo song - no bandmates or pyrotechnics to hide behind! That would be interesting!
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    johartuk wrote: »
    Cheryl's supposed area of 'musical expertise' is singing. That is what she's supposed to be knowledgable about (unless she's an internationally successful and respected record producer/talent scout/record company exec on the quiet:rolleyes:). Given her dire performance (as part of Girls Aloud) on the X-Factor a couple of weeks back, people are, quite rightly, questioning her suitability to judge vocal ability in others. Even if she does have the ability to do so, the fact that she sings flat in a live performance with her badmates doesn't exactly give a good impression to her fellow judges, contestants, studio audience or the viewers at home.

Perhaps Cheryl should be asked to sing a solo song - no bandmates or pyrotechnics to hide behind! That would be interesting!

Actually she was brought on the show because she is current, successful and had experienced this kind of programme. It does feel like hypocrisy, but her singing ability was the last thing they were looking at.
  • YULSTARYULSTAR Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    Now why the **** should she be jealous of Cheryl because she's not Welsh?

I'd rather be welsh than a scrawny Geordie anyday!
  • xChErRy-DrOpSxxChErRy-DrOpSx Posts: 4,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

but she can still sing.

i agree completely. Charlotte Church is a sour faced cow with a hunger for pubicity... PURRR LEEAAAZZZEEE
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    I'm crap at playing football but I can tell a good to bad to great footballer.

There are loads who can't sing but can tell from a good or bad singer. Charlotte needs to fall back and mind her buisness.

I don't agree, you have to know alot more than simply whether somebody can sing in tune. Presumeably all the contestants can as you don't get into the last 12 if not. It's about being able to do alot more than that and if we could all be such good judges. Then why do record companies employ proper advisors and talent scouts instead of getting the receptionist to make their decisions .

And you're wrong anyway, perhaps you do, but alot of people that can't play football don't actually have the first clue what makes a good player. The reason football clubs employ proper scouts as well funnily enough. Opposed to pulling some guy out of the crowd on a Saturday afternoon.

I also wouldn't slag Charlotte for this and say she is wanting publicity. Doesn't it only claim to say she said this to a friend or something. In otherwords it's not some kind of statement that she's made and there's absolutely no proof it's true. Also it's not like she's the publicity hungry type. If she was she would surely spend alot more time and choose to go out in London. Instead of the back of beyond in Wales. If she wanted her face in the mags at every opportunity then she could quite easily make that happen as she is quite newsworthy to the likes of New, Reveal etc. Yet she's not one of the more heavily featured people. I think that pretty much destroys the argument she is one of those fame hungry Kerry Katona types.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    yag wrote: »
    I think that Charlote is jealous because of

Cheryl is more popular
    Cheryl is richer (with husband)
    Cheryl is thinner
    Cheryl is better looking
    Cheryl is not Welsh
    Cheryl has a lot of the media eating out of her scrawny, bony hand

1, Why would anyone be jelous of someone's popularity with people that are so dumb they are drinking the kool-aid?

2, Is she? If you mean because of her husband well then no she''s not richer. Besides I extremely doubt Charlotte Church is jelous of that. Why would she possibly be jelous when she must have earned more than she'll ever need by the age of 15 herself anyway.

3, If she were so consumed with jelousy over that, to the point of slagging someone publicly. Surely she would have done something about it by now and simply lost some weight. Plus if she really were jelous of Cheryl's figure, Why just Cheryl's? Every second female celeb is a stick insect.

4, Matter of opinion and if her 'jelousy' were down to that. Would she not have more of a problem with the people that are 10x better looking than Cheryl? I can't remember the last time she publicly slagged a supermodel though, funnily enough. Why does her problem only seem to be with Cheryl? It's not like she's the only good looking girl in the world and certainly not the first celebrity female to get all het up with jelousy over concerning looks. As there are many that are alot more stunning than Cheryl Cole.

5, So are the majority of the world's population :rolleyes: Again failing to see why Cheryl's non welshness makes Charlotte any more jelous than the majority's non welshness. Especially when (a) The non welshness is replaced by Geordieness and (b) She seems incredibly patriotic and proud to be Welsh. Certainly far from wishing she came from somewhere else.

6, Yes you've got me with that one. Charlotte Church is so jelous of the publicity, fame and adoration that Cheryl has. She continued to live in Wales and surround herself with her family and friends. When she could have long ago moved to London, stopped eating and became a media darling :confused: She is so jelous of the 'nice' image Cheryl has now that she wants one for herself. That's why she has continued to speak her mind and publicly slag the media's new sweetheart. It's all making so much sense now, thankyou.
  • ChemistryladChemistrylad Posts: 826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do people judge Cheryl on one performance??? everybody has their off days!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed.

I think far too many people are too eager to jump on the "lets hate Cheryl Cole bandwagon".
  • hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but who is the hardest, Cheryl or Charlotte.

There's only one way to find out -

FIGHT !!!
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "David Bowie and Bob Dylan could never sing a note, but both are great song writers and performers. "

David Bowie is an excellent singer. I saw him performing live years ago and he was brilliant. I'm amazed that you could think that! The man has loads of charisma and talent, something GA can only dream about.

Have also seen Bob Dylan live, he doesn't have a particularly nice sounding voice but at least he can sing in tune.
  • Over By Yer!Over By Yer! Posts: 2,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheryl Cole CAN sing,not brilliantly but she can sing...and Charlotte Church is a dreadful chat-show host.
    Swings and roundabouts my dears!
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    Cheryl Cole's voice has always been dreadful as have all of them in GA bar Nadine.
  • moonbabymoonbaby Posts: 2,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charlotte Church is a very bitter person.

In the past, she has cussed many celebs down, she has a very negative outlook towards other celebrities.

And Cheryl does not? Im sorry, but Cheryl is arguably far more guilty of this kind of thing than Charlotte is. She seems to have a terrible attitude towards other women- frequently attacking them. She is always accusing other girlbands of ripping off the 'Girls Aloud ' sound. Even people like All Saints and Destiny's Child who were around years before they were.

To be honest I suspect all those who defend here on this thread are men who do so simply because they fancy her. She is very pretty no one is denying it - but her attitude stinks. You'd have to be pretty shallow to find her attrative IMO.
    Forum Member

Unless she had a bad cold that week I don't think there's any excuse for being flat every time it came to her solo parts. A real singer wouldn't do that. Cheryl was so bad, it was embarrassing.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charlotte and Cheryl seem to have some long-standing beef with each other. Don't know what's behind it, but it's beginning to get very boring.