Comments

• AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ouch indeed. Good article.
  • Jamie6767Jamie6767 Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Dont mention the immigration. I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it"

Priceless.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Traditional Labour supportersmany now lost to Ukip — who expressed anxiety about how communities were being transformed by immigration were routinely dismissed as ‘bigots’, as Rochdale pensioner Gillian Duffy famously was by Gordon Brown during the 2010 general election campaign.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2881447/The-Basil-Fawlty-politics-distinguished-voice-Left-devastating-critique-Ed-Miliband-Labour-isn-t-trusted-immigration.html#ixzz3MROELcax
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

That must mean me.! do i trust them on immigration i will let jack straw provide my answer.;-)

The former home secretary Jack Straw has admitted that dropping immigration restrictions on eastern European migrants was a "spectacular mistake" on Labour's part.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ed Miliband is too bland to be comparable to any fictional character.
    He is more of a Nick Clegg type, would be a good junior minister in something but not leadership material.

As for Basil Fawlty, I would say that Ian Duncan-Smith is more that way. Quietly insane.
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »

"Good article"??
    haha, OK let's have a closer look at this "good article" shall we?
    (WARNING this will require more than one line or paragraph)
    instead of just going into automatic pilot "oh it's yet another Daily Mail attack on the Labour party and or EM full of massive exaggerations and even lies,
    (because time is running out and things are getting quite desperate, now and no matter how much sh!t we throw nothing seems to be sticking)
    So 'obviously' it's a "good article"
    The Basil Fawlty of politics: From a distinguished voice on the Left, a devastating critique of Ed Miliband and why Labour isn't trusted on immigration

By Jason Cowley For The Daily Mail
    Yip such a "distinguished voice of the left" I had to google him. meanwhile we will ignore all of the other "distinguished voices of the left" who agree with him.

anyway the "good article"......................
    Until very recently, the Great Unmentionable for Ed Miliband and his inner circle was immigration. No matter what the circumstances were, they didn’t want to mention it.
    Really? well I suppose if one chooses to ignore something when someone mentions it and then adds "until very recently" it might convince those who already want to believe it, but, let's have a look at some of those annoying "facts" as opposed to "opinions" eh?
    http://www.labourleft.co.uk/100-labour-party-policies-each-point-evidenced-to-orginal-report/
    100 Labour Party Policies (each point evidenced to original report)

May 7, 2014

Published exactly a year before the election, "until very recently"? and have been added to since that time,
    Apprenticeship place each time a skilled worker was hired from outside the EU
    Labour’s new Immigration Bill would ban Recruitment Consultancy firms from only hiring abroad & ban firms from paying temporary workers less than permanent staff
    Mandatory Registration for Commercial Landlords to prevent them subletting smaller properties to large groups of immigrants.
    Labour will clampdown on Short Term Student Visas, freeing up regulation of Long Term Student visas so that University recruitment of foreign students runs more smoothly

and Directly from the Labour party website, once again this is the "the Great Unmentionable for Ed Miliband".... erm, getting mentioned.
    http://www.labour.org.uk/issues/detail/immigration

I suppose for some May this year could count as "until very recently" but if that's the case then the election must surely be imminent and almost upon us, hence the desperation eh?

back to the "good article"
    Traditional Labour supporters — many now lost to Ukip
    True enough, there are many traditional Labour voters now lost to Ukip, but then, there are FAR more traditional Tory voters as well as two Tory MPs "now lost to Ukip"
    Not to mention this list of distinguished voices on the right who are "now lost to Ukip"
    http://anotherangryvoice.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/12-tory-ukip-defectors.html

How many "significant" Labour people have defected to Ukip so far?

anyway, back to the "good article"
    IF, lies, gross distortions and exaggerations are the ingredients of a "good article" that is.
    who expressed anxiety about how communities were being transformed by immigration were routinely dismissed as ‘bigots’, as Rochdale pensioner Gillian Duffy famously was by Gordon Brown during the 2010 general election campaign.

REALLY? routinely dismissed as ‘bigots’,?? ah well, making shit up or massively exaggerating is hardly new territory for the DM is it?
    Within a matter of weeks of the conference, Miliband’s leadership was in crisis as his detractors inside the party briefed incessantly against him
    NO actually "we and the rest of the Tory press 'made up' stories of a serious leadership challenge in order to deflect attention away from the upcoming loss of ANOTHER Tory seat to a Tory-Ukip defector" stories of a leadership challenge that went away as quickly as coverage of the loss of another seat.

Anyway, I realise I am running into "lets change the subject by having a go at the length of the post area so I will 'almost' leave it at that...... except for.....

That must mean me.! do i trust them on immigration i will let jack straw provide my answer.;-)

The former home secretary Jack Straw has admitted that dropping immigration restrictions on eastern European migrants was a "spectacular mistake" on Labour's part.
    WHAT??? A former Labour home secretary actually admits Labour made mistakes?
    Well I am shocked imagine that, Labour actually admitting they got something wrong?

actually, I don't need to "imagine it" because all I needed to do was to read the link I posted from their own website.
    Labour got things wrong on immigration in the past

The Daily Mail, the only newspaper that is almost always 'right' and almost always 'wrong' at the exact same time.
    :D
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Labour have spent the past 2 weeks talking about the 2 areas which are supposed to be strong points for the Tories. Immigration and The Economy. And during that period...... they have either maintained or slightly improved their position.
    In fact..a different journalist at the New Statesman pointed out this week that Miliband took on Cameron on the Economy at PMQs this week. His verdict was that Miliband won on points.

So what will happen in January when Labour move on to their third pledge??
    http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/12/labour-turn-focus-health-10-year-nhs-plan-january
  • MattNMattN Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Landis wrote: »
    Labour have spent the past 2 weeks talking about the 2 areas which are supposed to be strong points for the Tories. Immigration and The Economy. And during that period...... they have either maintained or slightly improved their position.
    In fact..a different journalist at the New Statesman pointed out this week that Miliband took on Cameron on the Economy at PMQs this week. His verdict was that Miliband won on points.

So what will happen in January when Labour move on to their third pledge??
    http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/12/labour-turn-focus-health-10-year-nhs-plan-january

I wouldn't say with of those speeches made a major impact tbh.

The immigration speech lasted 7 minutes and was never mentioned again
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Ed Miliband is too bland to be comparable to any fictional character.
    He is more of a Nick Clegg type, would be a good junior minister in something but not leadership material.

As for Basil Fawlty, I would say that Ian Duncan-Smith is more that way. Quietly insane.

No, he's more Alan B'stard.
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »

Yup, agree. A lot of detail and good insight and analysis.

Mind you, I had to do a double take - Jason Cowley? Editor for the last 6 years of the New Statesman? Indeed it is....
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    Yup, agree. A lot of detail and good insight and analysis.

Mind you, I had to do a double take - Jason Cowley? Editor for the last 6 years of the New Statesman? Indeed it is....

I did a double take too. I recognised the name but not the newspaper.:D
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MattN wrote: »
    I wouldn't say with of those speeches made a major impact tbh.

The immigration speech lasted 7 minutes and was never mentioned again

AH right so we've changed the rules again, sometimes they change so quickly it's hard to keep up,
    Because this is what the article in the mail says.
    Until very recently, the Great Unmentionable for Ed Miliband and his inner circle was immigration. No matter what the circumstances were, they didn’t want to mention it.
    A gross misrepresentation, actually I prefer the more honest approach, a downright LIE from the get go,
    as both I and Landis pointed out, (I go into quite a bit more detail) by showing that Labour were talking about immigration many months ago, (backing my statement up with evidence) and that they are talking about it on their website, as well as admitting openly that they got it wrong in the past.

so the claim in the Mail is either deliberately misleading or as I prefer, a deliberate lie,

but having established that both quite recently and many months ago Labour were quite willing to talk about immigration,

and if more proof is needed, here ya go. Labour 'not talking about immigration'
    27 January, 2014 AND from the newstatesman, oops foot in mouth.

http://www.newstatesman.com/2014/01/labour-got-it-wrong-about-immigration-not-way-its-frontbenchers-seem-think
    Enough with the apologies. Week after week, senior Labour figures queue up to express regret over the party’s record on immigration

22 Sep 2013 even the Torygraph knew Labour was talking about immigration back in September.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10326285/Ed-Miliband-Labour-will-cut-immigration-if-we-win-next-election.html
    Ed Miliband has promised to cut overall immigration if Labour wins the next election

In his boldest pledge on the issue to date, the Labour leader said he would impose curbs on the number of low-skilled migrants allowed to enter Britain.

So as we have now established that the article in the DM (Desperate Mail)
    is being, erm, 'economical with the truth'

The goal posts are now once again shifted and not only does he have to really really REALLY mean it, so that it makes a "major impact"
    although the impact of a speech must depend on where it's reported, who reports it and what 'spin' they decide to put on it.
    but we now have a time limit imposed on how long every speech should last,

even though, "impact" and "length" weren't even mentioned until the DM article was shot down, and as for "never mentioned again" what are we doing now? and I have seen it mentioned several times since it was made.
    Do these goal posts come with wheels? I think they should. ;-)
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Ed Miliband is the Basil Fawlty of British politics, he may need a Manuel for guidance as to how to win the General Election! :D
  • Malcolm_ReedMalcolm_Reed Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Good article"??
    haha, OK let's have a closer look at this "good article" shall we?
    (WARNING this will require more than one line or paragraph)
    instead of just going into automatic pilot "oh it's yet another Daily Mail attack on the Labour party and or EM full of massive exaggerations and even lies,
    (because time is running out and things are getting quite desperate, now and no matter how much sh!t we throw nothing seems to be sticking)
    So 'obviously' it's a "good article"

Yip such a "distinguished voice of the left" I had to google him. meanwhile we will ignore all of the other "distinguished voices of the left" who agree with him.

anyway the "good article"......................

Really? well I suppose if one chooses to ignore something when someone mentions it and then adds "until very recently" it might convince those who already want to believe it, but, let's have a look at some of those annoying "facts" as opposed to "opinions" eh?
    http://www.labourleft.co.uk/100-labour-party-policies-each-point-evidenced-to-orginal-report/

Published exactly a year before the election, "until very recently"? and have been added to since that time,

and Directly from the Labour party website, once again this is the "the Great Unmentionable for Ed Miliband".... erm, getting mentioned.

I suppose for some May this year could count as "until very recently" but if that's the case then the election must surely be imminent and almost upon us, hence the desperation eh?

back to the "good article"

True enough, there are many traditional Labour voters now lost to Ukip, but then, there are FAR more traditional Tory voters as well as two Tory MPs "now lost to Ukip"
    Not to mention this list of distinguished voices on the right who are "now lost to Ukip"
    http://anotherangryvoice.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/12-tory-ukip-defectors.html

How many "significant" Labour people have defected to Ukip so far?

anyway, back to the "good article"
    IF, lies, gross distortions and exaggerations are the ingredients of a "good article" that is.

REALLY? routinely dismissed as ‘bigots’,?? ah well, making shit up or massively exaggerating is hardly new territory for the DM is it?

NO actually "we and the rest of the Tory press 'made up' stories of a serious leadership challenge in order to deflect attention away from the upcoming loss of ANOTHER Tory seat to a Tory-Ukip defector" stories of a leadership challenge that went away as quickly as coverage of the loss of another seat.

Anyway, I realise I am running into "lets change the subject by having a go at the length of the post area so I will 'almost' leave it at that...... except for.....

WHAT??? A former Labour home secretary actually admits Labour made mistakes?
    Well I am shocked imagine that, Labour actually admitting they got something wrong?

actually, I don't need to "imagine it" because all I needed to do was to read the link I posted from their own website.

The Daily Mail, the only newspaper that is almost always 'right' and almost always 'wrong' at the exact same time.
    :D

You've put admirable effort into your rebuttal.

But you have wasted your time!!! :D:D:D:D:D

You are never going to convince anyone that Miliband could be a good PM.
  • Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MattN wrote: »

Red Millibland has a huge problem boiling in Scotland, plenty of members and most MP's are aghast at the thought of him going into government with the support of the SNP should Labour win more seats come May.

Frankly he is the reason why Labour will lose seats in Scotland, can we really trust a liar who will not tell the truth about immigration, Europe and why his party actively prevented investigation into Saville and various other public eye predators while in office.
  • rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miliband isn't in the same league as Fawlty. A more accurate description would be a "Chuckle Brother of British Politics" with that other Ed as the other 'un.
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Ed Miliband is the Basil Fawlty of British politics, he may need a Manuel for guidance as to how to win the General Election! :D

Not sure Cameron will be willing to help him though ;-)
  • Gregory ShapeGregory Shape Posts: 2,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    Miliband isn't in the same league as Fawlty. A more accurate description would be a "Chuckle Brother of British Politics" with that other Ed as the other 'un.

No, he's nowhere near charismatic enough to be Fawlty. He's the "Mr Bean of British Politics", I reckon.
  • ChrisTakaChrisTaka Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    Not sure Cameron will be willing to help him though ;-)

No he will not

His hands are already full playing the role of Alan B'Stard.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always thought Basil Fawlty would make a good PM :p
  • northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd have thought from the Daily Mail perspective that no voice from the left could possibly be thought of as 'distinguished'. Also is Jason "I want to use the pages of the magazine to explore political ideas on both left and right" actually a voice of the left anyway? Anyone who goes to the Daily Mail of all papers to criticise the leader of the Labour party six months before the general election surely must have dubious left credentials. Same applies to Dan Hodges and his daily anti-Miliband rants in the Telegraph too.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mr bean, surely ?
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least Basil Fawlty was funny.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    mr bean, surely ?

Mr Bean would make a good deputy PM.

Just imagine, Basil Fawlty as PM and Mr Bean as deputy PM. Now there's a coalition I could get behind.
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Bean would make a good deputy PM.

Just imagine, Basil Fawlty as PM and Mr Bean as deputy PM. Now there's a coalition I could get behind.

We had Mr Bean as PM in 2007. Between the LibDems having Ming Campbell and Nick Clegg as Leader, Vince Cable was acting LibDem Leader. Vince described Gordon Brown as having made the transformation from Stalin to Mr Bean! :D