Options

How to eat on a budget - would you trust 19p spaghetti bolognaise?

123457»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mac2708 wrote: »
    Asda selling at 19p
    Ingredients
    Cooked Spaghetti (46%) [Water, Durum Wheat Semolina] , Tomato Purée (26%) , Water , Minced Beef (6.0%) , Celery , Onions , Sugar , Rapeseed Oil , Salt , Modified Maize Starch , Garlic Extract , Parsley , Oregano , Marjoram , Thyme , Flavouring .

Heinz canned Spaghetti Bolognaise selling at 60p
    Ingredients
    Spaghetti (46%, Water, Durum Wheat Semolina, Wheat Flour (contains Calcium, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin)), Tomatoes (36%), Textured Soya Protein ;-), Beef (4%), Concentrated Tomato Puree, Cornflour, Sugar, Rapeseed Oil, Spirit Vinegar, Modified Cornflour, Garlic Salt, Herb Extracts, Salt, Natural Flavouring, Spice, Colour - Plain Caramel

Less meat in the Heinz product:o
    Interesting. Looks like they're smuggling the soya in under the guise of meat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I was in ASDA yesterday and spotted the Smart Price Spaghetti Bolognaise
    http://groceries.asda.com/asda-webstore/landing/home.shtml#/product/910000456800

I'm pretty sure it was 16p in store although an extra 3p isn't going to break the bank.

It reminded me of the story of the guy who phoned up the radio station with his sob story saying he was living off a can of spaghetti a day. I wondered if this would do the job.

Would you trust it for 19p though? :D
    I buy 26p tins of beans and they taste fine. The better flavour of the branded ones doesn't justify charging double the price, IMO. Nothing that a splash of Worcester sauce can't fix.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    What is it these days with people who want instant meals? Is it lack of knowledge or laziness or both? You can buy rice or pasta cheaply enough and concoct a basic meal without needing to qualify for Masterchef. You can get bags of dirt cheap value flour too.

I usually want instant or quick meals because any time spent cooking is wasted time IMO, so the quicker the better. I'd rather watch paint dry than spend any lengthy amount of time cooking. I eat to live, not live to eat. I do enjoy nice food, as long as it's cooked by others. But for me, I can't be arsed to spend any lengthy amount of time >15 minutes cooking stuff. It's boring.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zero hour contract and spent last weeks wages on some suitable work shoes and a bus pass in case you get some hours the next week, for example. Use your imagination...

This is part of what I was getting at. There will almost certainly be more than 19p being spent that day and probably better ways of apportioning the money that stinting on food. (In your scenario, walking or cycling instead of throwing away money on a bus pass for example).
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    This is part of what I was getting at. There will almost certainly be more than 19p being spent that day and probably better ways of apportioning the money that stinting on food. (In your scenario, walking or cycling instead of throwing away money on a bus pass for example).

But you've made up a scenario in which the can of spag bol is the only thing eaten and must comprise the entire meal. Nobody stipulated such a thing. You're ignoring the possibility that it might be eaten as part of a larger meal. or just a snack.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O, go on then - give us the two week food shop, the meals it makes, and their approx nutritional values. Because, I don't believe you.

2 x 8 pack Bananas - £2.30
    350g Mature Cheddar - £2.00
    Everyday Value apple pack - £1.78
    Everyday 15 eggs - £1.25
    Sardines in tomato sauce x 5 £2.00
    Baked Beans 8 cans - £2.40
    Penne Pasta 500g x 4 - £1.40
    Italian Seasoning - 50p
    Chopped tomatoes x 12 - £4.50
    2 x Loaves Stay Fresh Bread - £1.50
    Everyday Pork Sausages x 40 - £3.00

Total - £22.63

Brunch - Sardines/Beans/Cheese/Eggs on toast, 2 slices.

Snack - Apple/Banana

Meal (best to cook and freeze in batches) - Grill sausages, slice, mix into tomato and herb mix, add pasta.

For another three quid, if desired, you could also have baked potatoes and 'butter' some days with Sardines/Beans/Cheese to break up the monotony. It's as flexible as can be for £20- £25. I've no idea as to the nutritional value of each meal, but I've tried to include most of the food groups. I had to live on similar many years ago, and whilst not massively varied it's pretty damn good for the money spent and expertise needed.

Oh, and next time, try to be less obnoxious in your posts - you only look stupid when proved wrong.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kaybee15 wrote: »
    Total - £22.63

I've no idea as to the nutritional value of each meal, but I've tried to include most of the food groups.

I tried to add up at least the calorific values in your list and possibly it might just add up to the 28,000 calories that an average female needs over 14 days (an average man would need 25% more so the cost is probably 25% more too!).

At £23, you're buying 1300 kcal per £ which is pretty good (that tin of spaghetti works out at 1200 kcal per £). The sort of food I buy works out at probably half that (in terms of calories per £, perhaps because I stay clear of sausages that cost 7.5p each!).

But I've noticed you also expect people to drink only tap water...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    I tried to add up at least the calorific values in your list and possibly it might just add up to the 28,000 calories that an average female needs over 14 days (an average man would need 25% more so the cost is probably 25% more too!).

At £23, you're buying 1300 kcal per £ which is pretty good (that tin of spaghetti works out at 1200 kcal per £). The sort of food I buy works out at probably half that (in terms of calories per £, perhaps because I stay clear of sausages that cost 7.5p each!).

But I've noticed you also expect people to drink only tap water...

Good catch on the drinks thing :blush: You could probably shave enough off the food bill to get some own brand teabags and milk, but it would admittedly be tight - probably sacrificing a bag of pasta, a bag of bananas, maybe the cheese - it would all depend on personal preference.

The problem, of course, is that anyone unfortunate enough to have to exist on the figures we are talking about realistically has very few options open to them. While I attempted to keep the 'diet' reasonably healthy, the most important thing for someone that broke is not to feel hungry. I well remember back in the day going two, sometimes three days without eating because I'd spent my last money on God knows what, and the ready meals etc I'd bought had long gone as they were not remotely filling (or indeed nutritious).

What I outlined isn't perfect, but it will do the job for those suffering real hardship, certainly better than most other options I've come across...
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O, go on then - give us the two week food shop, the meals it makes, and their approx nutritional values. Because, I don't believe you.

It's not that difficult really if you're vegetarian. Lentils, chickpeas,some frozen veg. A big bag of oats for 75p and some bananas or a bag of dried fruit for breakfast. The only problems come when you have to replace things like oil or spices, because it's hard to buy these things in smaller amounts and even £1 is quite a big chunk out of the budget.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    lombard wrote: »
    Interesting. Looks like they're smuggling the soya in under the guise of meat.
    I wonder if they replaced all of the beef if anyone would notice?
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, someone noticed when they went the other way....in Linda McCartney's vegetarian sausages!
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Well, someone noticed when they went the other way....in Linda McCartney's vegetarian sausages!
    Ah well, a bit of meat ain't gonna hurt em