Ea Announces Subscription Service On Xbox One: Ea Access

Comments

• deadmancarldeadmancarl Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare is now available in the Vault.

Excellent service so far. Never thought I'd be saying that about EA. :D

Excellent news. Another disk I can get rid of
  • TheCrackInTimeTheCrackInTime Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    It's available for everyone now.
    Matt D wrote: »
    Yup. It left beta and went public in mid-August.

Awesome, cheers guys. I'll pick it up once I get my XB1. :)
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    I think a years EA-Access sub would make someone a great xmas gift! ... Keep the kids quiet on the big day (& beyond) for only £20! ... Fantastic! 👍

Keep me quiet, more like it. ;-)
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing for a recentish game. Was going to buy it yesterday, actually from the HK store.

Currently not in the vault for EU, though.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still doesn't represent value for PS4 gamers? :p:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's up in the EU vault now :)
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    Amazing for a recentish game. Was going to buy it yesterday, actually from the HK store.

Currently not in the vault for EU, though.
    It's up in the EU vault now :)

Was it actually up in the US Vault before the EU Vault?

Very bad communication, if so, but I think what actually happened was that someone cocked up and either posted the original announcement on the EA Blog too early, or the game itself was delayed for all.

The announcement didn't say anything about it coming to the US first and then rolling out, it simply said that it was now available - no mention of only being available in a certain location.

When I found that it wasn't actually out, or at least wasn't out here, I Tweeted EA and EA Support replied "I apologize for the confusion. We're looking into that now, so please check back. Thanks for your patience. ^EC".

Not long after that, the post at the EA Blog was deleted.

I asked again a while later, and the EA account replied to me saying "PvZ Garden Warfare is now available in the Vault!".

It was around that same time that the EA Access and Plants vs. Zombies Twitter accounts both posted to say that it was *now* in The Vault.

A replacement announcement was posted at the EA Access section of EA.com, and later the original one at the EA Blog was magically restored.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving PvZ. Oddly addictive. Really like the healing elements as a plant. Yet to win a game, though :(!
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you guys think other companies (such as Capcom, Konami, Square-Enix etc) could jump on the bandwagon and have similar EA-Access type services? 😳 ... Gotta admit I'd be tempted! :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    Do you guys think other companies (such as Capcom, Konami, Square-Enix etc) could jump on the bandwagon and have similar EA-Access type services? 😳 ... Gotta admit I'd be tempted! :blush:

I would be very surprised if they weren't keep an eye on how it's working out for EA. They're all probably waiting to hear some figures from EA in terms of subscriber numbers and how it's affect new games sales.

The problem is for this type of service is that it's a fine art between providing decent games in the vault while not affect the sales of new games. I mean if your not in a rush to own the latest title then it would make sense to wait for it to appear on Access. At the same time having a huge chunk of people paying you £20 a year to play old games which you wouldn't be making any more money from is a big win.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't imagine EA access being amazingly successful. MS/EA haven't exactly been pushing it at all...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't imagine EA access being amazingly successful. MS/EA haven't exactly been pushing it at all...

Word of mouth, forums etc is all the pushing they need right now while it establishes itself. I've told a few people at work about it and they signed up, they've told a few etc. Plus every time a new game is added it's up on gaming news sites and Neogaf normally has a massive thread.

Maybe once it has some more games then they will do a marketing push. MS have a good Christmas line-up so they are pushing that, so maybe they are waiting for a dry spell before pushing Access. Right after Christmas would be ideal with many people with new consoles and some games but no money left. "Hey parents, for £20 your kids can play 5 games and more are added...." :p The again, MS PR dept isn't exactly the best so who knows :confused:
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    I would be very surprised if they weren't keep an eye on how it's working out for EA. They're all probably waiting to hear some figures from EA in terms of subscriber numbers and how it's affect new games sales.

The problem is for this type of service is that it's a fine art between providing decent games in the vault while not affect the sales of new games. I mean if your not in a rush to own the latest title then it would make sense to wait for it to appear on Access. At the same time having a huge chunk of people paying you £20 a year to play old games which you wouldn't be making any more money from is a big win.

I'd love a capcom type service for £20 per year! 😎

(Old capcom classics + 10% off all new titles! 😉 ... Take my money!!!) 💴💵💷💶💳💸
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a very smart way of doing things. I do think more companies will jump on it. When Titanfall 2 is released - who will buy Titanfall 1? Very few people. I imagine it'll come up on EA Access at some point.

Same goes for games like Assassins Creed - although, perhaps they have more staying power. But once a new AC is released, the previous titles drop to pounds and are already available on Steam during sales for less than a fiver each.

It's perfect for pretty much all companies to cash in on their yearly series..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yup, although I'm sure the main worry for these companies is it may start to encourage people to just wait a year for the game to appear on the service instead of buying it straight away.

There will always be a good number of people who will purchase big games within the first month, but it may encourage some to wait. So it's a whole balancing act I guess.
  • MinnimoMinnimo Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    I've got this, and it was worth it for Peggle 2 and PVZ. Love both games. Anything throughout the year released will be a bonus.
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Hows this going? I reckon EA must have added at least 10 more games to the vault by now?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich_L wrote: »
    Hows this going? I reckon EA must have added at least 10 more games to the vault by now?

What makes you think that? :confused:
    Forum Member
    Sarcasm mainly...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sarcasm mainly...

Fair enough.

To answer your question, it's going still. No complaints from me. Good value for money already.
    Forum Member
    Been anything new since PvZ though?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been anything new since PvZ though?

No, but that was only added a month ago. There aren't new titles every month.
  • smcbeathsmcbeath Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have been doing 1 game per month since they started and the only 2 games left from there next gen launch would be last years nba and ufc. Both games are one that I wouldn't mind playing but would never be willing to buy, plus I don't care if the rosters for these games are a year out of date, I don't follow American sports that often.But I do follow the ufc though.
    Forum Member
    I thought it was a game a month, my confusion.
  • smcbeathsmcbeath Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a quick look through the thread, I reckon we are due a game next week -

Beta 30/7
    live for everyone 11/8
    need for speed 5/9
    plants v zombies 15/10
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    So how long before all EA games require this service to play their games online?