Options

Putin to 'unplug' Russia from the internet, how will this help Russia's economy?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The proposal is allegedly in the event of civil unrest and disorder or war to hinder those organizing "criminal" activities.

Not much different to what Cameron and May proposed after the London riots, they wanted the power to shut down social media in the event of social unrest or disorder to prevent organization of criminal activity. They dropped this after reaching agreement with providers on how existing powers should be implement at such times.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The proposal is allegedly in the event of civil unrest and disorder or war to hinder those organizing "criminal" activities.

Not much different to what Cameron and May proposed after the London riots, they wanted the power to shut down social media in the event of social unrest or disorder to prevent organization of criminal activity. They dropped this after reaching agreement with providers on how existing powers should be implement at such times.

Indeed. The days of us preaching to other nations about censorship, spying on citizens etc are long gone. The west do the same if not worse (especially on the spying front).
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We accused Russia of flying it's planes near passenger aircraft with their transponders switched off, until someone pointed out that NATO does the same near the Russian border.

Every time we say it's disgraceful how these dictators behave, perhaps we should check that we don't do the same first.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's still a stupid idea that only an idiot could come up with or support.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Russia wants to be a major or super power in the modern world, but if we look at the main powers today America and China they have one thing in common, powerful, diverse economies.

The Soviet Union had lots of land, natural resources and nuclear weapons, but it still lost the cold war by going bankrupt.

If Russia wants to be a major power it needs to focus on it's economy. No one is going to impose sanctions on China are they?
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Internet startups, games companies, and so on, based in Russia have been moving out the country since even before the trouble in Ukraine started.

Things got particularly bad a while ago when Russia blocked Github (roughly speaking a cloud service that hosts software projects and static websites, amongst other things), which meant that some companies suddenly lost access to their work! This was just because someone posted something that the Russian government don't approve of on that service.

It shows you how easily such legislation (which we have as well remember) can be abused and cause serious financial trouble for companies and individuals.

Still, Russia's loss is our gain at the moment. London, Berlin and Ukraine are popular locations for these Russian firms to move to.
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    We accused Russia of flying it's planes near passenger aircraft with their transponders switched off, until someone pointed out that NATO does the same near the Russian border.

Every time we say it's disgraceful how these dictators behave, perhaps we should check that we don't do the same first.

As much as you or I may dislike Putin he is not a dictator.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I dunno. The elections were not considered particularly free or fair. Lots of evidence of rigging IIRC.

Also there's the small issue of him consolidating his power by crushing dissent, which isn't particularly democratic.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is all the same as the 'evil Iran' stuff we were subjected to a few years back. Nothing ever changes.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's still a stupid idea that only an idiot could come up with or support.

Really ? during the riots people were organising looting and disturbances via BBM, I would say when it is criminal activity and affecting peoples homes and livelihoods ( peoples homes were burned to the ground as were businesses by thugs ) as is what happened here then there is a good reason to temporarily block such a thing
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything that gets rid of Russian hackers and spammers can only be a good thing.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,614
    Forum Member
    Anything that gets rid of Russian hackers and spammers can only be a good thing.

What about American, British or any other nationality of hacker? Or is it just Russian spammers and hackers you have a problem with? Maybe we should just close the whole world wide web down for that would be an end to hacking
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

Hackers are Head hunted for their talent by governments, corprates and big buisness, a good hacker is worth alot, and paid very well,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Really ? during the riots people were organising looting and disturbances via BBM, I would say when it is criminal activity and affecting peoples homes and livelihoods ( peoples homes were burned to the ground as were businesses by thugs ) as is what happened here then there is a good reason to temporarily block such a thing

A society that gives up freedom for safety deserves neither.
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dfgh wrote: »

I take it you weren't very happy with Sony's decision to cave in on that movie release then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I dunno. The elections were not considered particularly free or fair. Lots of evidence of rigging IIRC.

Also there's the small issue of him consolidating his power by crushing dissent, which isn't particularly democratic.

Unfortunately Putin won by a massive majority (63% against the second placed candidate, the Communist Party's Zyuganov, who took 17%).

The opposition parties set up an enquiry afterwards to ascertain how much rigging/media favouritism took place, and what percentage of the total vote it represented. They came up with a figure of up to 10%.

Thus even in the unlikely event all of those votes were transferred to Zyuganov, Putin would have still got home easily.

More's the pity.
  • Options
    Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Remind me just how long he has been in power?
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    What about American, British or any other nationality of hacker? Or is it just Russian spammers and hackers you have a problem with? Maybe we should just close the whole world wide web down for that would be an end to hacking

No, its only russians I have a problem with.

They hack my software and put the cracks all over the internet.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    planes could only be an INCH from airspace and it wouldn't make a damn bit of difference, only if they go over it should be at first given a warning shot, THEN SHOT!

otherwise no one is shutting off any sodding internet .....
  • Options
    Parker45Parker45 Posts: 5,855
    Forum Member

15 years but Margaret Thatcher was PM for 11 years and would have liked to have gone on for another term. Did that make her a dictator? If people vote for the same party or leader, then that's the system.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Russia wants to be a major or super power in the modern world, but if we look at the main powers today America and China they have one thing in common, powerful, diverse economies.

The Soviet Union had lots of land, natural resources and nuclear weapons, but it still lost the cold war by going bankrupt.

If Russia wants to be a major power it needs to focus on it's economy. No one is going to impose sanctions on China are they?

....well it doesn't look like it right now, but I wouldn't put money on everything staying sweet with China forever. I think Obamas recent China deal was effectively a sticking plaster on international relations.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Relevance? The Russian electorate have put him where he is.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dfgh wrote: »

I don't recall saying we should give up freedom at any point, however if you have groups of criminals/thugs for instance arranging looting and arson of innocent peoples property/homes etc via a text message service then does it not make sense to preserve peoples safety , homes and businesses to cut those people off until the situation is under control ? or for the sake of saying we have freedom should we just allow it ? I think most law abiding people would handle a few hours without a thing such as BBM for the benefit of many.

There is a difference between shutting something down for peoples safety and denying access in order to shut people off in general for no good reason other than politics.