Options

Alisha Emmerdale - why so poor?

mrs.deschanelmrs.deschanel Posts: 3,545
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has she forgotten her child support, child benefit, tax credits, housing benefit and the fact that she has barely any outgoings as she lives with Leyla and David? I don't understand why she is bleating on about being so short of money all of the time. Is it that benefits aren't mentioned in soaps? They are meant to be there to help people when they are struggling. The single mothers that I know who work part time get topped up by tax credits and cope really well with mortgage payments, bills, child care etc. so why is it portrayed as living hand to mouth in soaps? It's the same with Heather in EE - surely she'd get her tax credits, disabilty for her asthma and housing benefit then with two jobs and one cash in hand cleaning job she'd be living better than she is shown to be.

Alisha is shrill, loud and an utter whinge bag. I know Mr D is entertained by her but that's just the enormous cleavage distracting him.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well firstly she's called Alicia.

Secondly all soaps handle money poorly, it's just something you have to accept if you're a soap fan. Ridiculous really given that it's written by adults who must understand how money works in the real world but hey ho.

Would she get housing benefit though? She's living basically for free under Leyla's roof so I'm not sure she'd qualify.

And a shift at the pub four nights a week would realistically only bring in about £150 - after food, Jacob's living expenses, and the frequent Woolpack drinking sessions which seem to be a requirement for any Emmerdale character, that doesn't leave much.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has she forgotten her child support, child benefit, tax credits, housing benefit and the fact that she has barely any outgoings as she lives with Leyla and David? I don't understand why she is bleating on about being so short of money all of the time. Is it that benefits aren't mentioned in soaps? They are meant to be there to help people when they are struggling. The single mothers that I know who work part time get topped up by tax credits and cope really well with mortgage payments, bills, child care etc. so why is it portrayed as living hand to mouth in soaps? It's the same with Heather in EE - surely she'd get her tax credits, disabilty for her asthma and housing benefit then with two jobs and one cash in hand cleaning job she'd be living better than she is shown to be.

Alisha is shrill, loud and an utter whinge bag. I know Mr D is entertained by her but that's just the enormous cleavage distracting him.
    For some bizarre reason, the soaps shy away from showing anyone other than workshy layabouts claiming state benefits. Even old age pensioners carry on working until they drop. Why the Hell would someone of Dot Cotten's age work in a laundrette for the minimum wage when she receives the state pension and would be entitled to all sorts of benefits for the care of her severely disabled husband?
  • Options
    rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Her son is a greedy, spoilt so and so (sorry but he is - this is the character not the little actor) and if she didn't pander to his every bloody whim she would do better.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I get benefits and still struggle. Everyone i know who gets benefits, struggle.

It takes more than asthma to get disability. Especially these days. If Heather lost weight then she would notice an improvement in her asthma. Any doctor asessing her for benefits would say the same.

Alicia won't get housing benefit because she lives with family. How do you know she has barely no outgoings? She could have loan repayments, catalogue payments, credit cards etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get benefits and still struggle. Everyone i know who gets benefits, struggle.

It takes more than asthma to get disability. Especially these days. If Heather lost weight then she would notice an improvement in her asthma. Any doctor asessing her for benefits would say the same.

Alicia won't get housing benefit because she lives with family. How do you know she has barely no outgoings? She could have loan repayments, catalogue payments, credit cards etc.

Yes you wouldn't get benefits for asthma.

And I think dot left her job at one point but was bored and lonely so went back.

We don't know for sure she claims benefits. Perhaps she doesn't.
  • Options
    EtherealEthereal Posts: 36,118
    Forum Member
    JarkdeLuxe wrote: »
    Would she get housing benefit though? She's living basically for free under Leyla's roof so I'm not sure she'd qualify.

Leyla charges her rent.