HDMI Lead Choices

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
Forum Member
Hi all, as I had such great help from my previous thread I thought I would ask another one:D

What is the better option to go with for HDMI cable:confused:

I have the choice of

1. Becken Bower Chrome (which I can get on uk auction site for about £12 - see here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1m-2-3m-4m-5m-3D-v1-4a-HDMI-CABLE-LEAD-WITH-ETHERNET-for-SKY-PS3-XBOX-3D-LED-TV-/261076368974?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item3cc95d3e4e)

2. Monster 1000HDEXS Ultra High Speed (have seen here for about £17 but is only 1m and I prefer 2m as 1m is pretty close to socket to socket length and not much room for movement - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-MONSTER-CABLE-1000HD-10-2-GBPS-PS3-XBOX-DVD-CHEAPEST-ON-EBAY-/330766825560?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item4d033d3858)

3. Monster 1200HDEXS Ultra High Speed

I would prefer to go for the 1st option, Becken Bower Chrome as its only £12 for a 2m cable, but would everybody agree that that is a good enough cable or should I stretch my pennies to get a monster 1000 or possibly 1200:confused:

Thanks for all your help again :p

Comments

• carvellcarvell Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *dives for cover*
  • AndrewLGAndrewLG Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    Hi all, as I had such great help from my previous thread I thought I would ask another one:D

What is the better option to go with for HDMI cable:confused:

I have the choice of

1. Becken Bower Chrome (which I can get on uk auction site for about £12 - see here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1m-2-3m-4m-5m-3D-v1-4a-HDMI-CABLE-LEAD-WITH-ETHERNET-for-SKY-PS3-XBOX-3D-LED-TV-/261076368974?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item3cc95d3e4e)

2. Monster 1000HDEXS Ultra High Speed (have seen here for about £17 but is only 1m and I prefer 2m as 1m is pretty close to socket to socket length and not much room for movement - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-MONSTER-CABLE-1000HD-10-2-GBPS-PS3-XBOX-DVD-CHEAPEST-ON-EBAY-/330766825560?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item4d033d3858)

3. Monster 1200HDEXS Ultra High Speed

I would prefer to go for the 1st option, Becken Bower Chrome as its only £12 for a 2m cable, but would everybody agree that that is a good enough cable or should I stretch my pennies to get a monster 1000 or possibly 1200:confused:

Thanks for all your help again :p

I wouldn't waste your money on expensive HDMI cables, all the ones I have (about 6) ccost £2 0r £3 and are all fine, plenty of the experts here and on AVF recomend poundshop ones.
    Don't believe the hype! ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • EastEast Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Same here these work a treat:cool:
  • lbearlbear Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £12!!!

I did not pay that for a 10m mini HDMI to HDMI.

The pound stores look like they have sold out. 7dayshop do excellent leads tho they seem to be revamping their web site
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    So not worth wasting my money and getting the supposedly better cables, good job I checked before buying them all then :D

Was really looking at getting the newer hdmi cables as they came with the ethernet connection built into the hdmi lead. Which in turns saves me having loads of cables connecting into my router when I can just have the one from the tv.

So was thinking that these might be better than the cheaper ones we can all buy, so if anybody knows where I can get hdmi with ethernet for only a £1 or near price then please let me know :)
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Amazon basics or the like
    Forum Member
    lbear wrote: »
    £12!!!

I did not pay that for a 10m mini HDMI to HDMI.

The pound stores look like they have sold out. 7dayshop do excellent leads tho they seem to be revamping their web site
    Just looked on here and can't find any hdmi leads - must be down to them revamping the site.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So not worth wasting my money and getting the supposedly better cables, good job I checked before buying them all then :D

Was really looking at getting the newer hdmi cables as they came with the ethernet connection built into the hdmi lead. Which in turns saves me having loads of cables connecting into my router when I can just have the one from the tv.

So was thinking that these might be better than the cheaper ones we can all buy, so if anybody knows where I can get hdmi with ethernet for only a £1 or near price then please let me know :)

You just need HDMI1.4 cables (normally called high speed), example

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-Cable-v1-4-1m-2m-3m-5m-10m-High-Speed-Ethernet-Gold-1080p-3D-Video-HDTV-HD-/170848168901?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item27c7582bc5
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Just get the cheapest one you can find!

I have a number of HDMI cables and - one plugged in - you can't tell the difference between any of them.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    Just get the cheapest one you can find!

I have a number of HDMI cables and - one plugged in - you can't tell the difference between any of them.

Arc (Audio Return Channel) and Ethernet over hdmi requires a V1.4 cable, it has two extra pins connected. Other than that I agree with you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What is the better option to go with for HDMI cable

Either the Russ Andrews cable @ £290 for 2 metres
    http://www.russandrews.com/product-KIMBER-HD-29-HDMI-cable-2729.htm

which will give you "clear improvements in image quality, with less noise and finer colour detail; sound was also more detailed and has better three-dimensional resolution."

or

A cable at under a fiver from many sources will work just as well.
    Forum Member
    :eek: Wow do some people really buy a cable that expensive - more money than sense then.

Thank goodness I asked on here first before rushing out headfirst to buy so-called high quality, well advertised, highly priced cables that are just as good as a £5 cable:o
  • MuzerMuzer Posts: 3,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cheapest cable you can get at the length you need, basically. As HDMI is digital, either the signal gets there or it doesn't. With SCART, on the other hand, good quality (not necessarily more expensive) cables work better, because SCART is analogue so can degrade more easily without cutting out altogether.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is officially no such thing as an "HDMI 1.4" or "HDMI v1.3" cable (the version is for the interface, not the cable).

A "High Speed HDMI Cable" (often incorrectly marketed as "HDMI v1.3") will be certified to handle 1080p, 3D, etc.

A "High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet" (often incorrectly marketed as "HDMI v1.4") gives the same but also has the Ethernet channel introduced by v1.4 of the interface spec. It's only of any use if the devices it will be connected to at each end both have v1.4 interfaces and will make use of the Ethernet channel.

http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/buying_guide.aspx

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/hdmi_1_4_faq.aspx

You can get a High Speed cable (with Ethernet) for only £4 from Kogan: http://www.kogan.co.uk/shop/hdmi-cable-v14-3-metres-gold-plated/

There is no need to shell out ££££ on the insanely expensive cables. So long as the build quality is not shoddy, a cheap cable will be just as good. Spending £100 on a cable won't give you better colours/detail/3D etc. Any perceived improvements from using a cable purchased after falling for the snake oil salesmen is likely to simply be down to the "cashebo effect".

This is interesting: Digital Foundry vs. HDMI
  • StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monster ..... no way.

I went to a demonstration of Monster Audio Cables, upon inspection after the demo, I discovered one channel of the audio amplifier had been modified to give a poor frequency response, on the non MC side !!

They of course wouldn't repeat the demo with the cables swapped over.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,515
    Forum Member
    Stigid wrote: »
    Monster ..... no way.

Nope - NEVER buy anything that says 'monster' - essentially it just means a monster price (and profit!).
  • Night WatchmanNight Watchman Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And if you want the views of an expert see this article from TechRadar entitled "Why you don't need to spend more than £2 on an HDMI cable" !

http://www.techradar.com/news/video/why-you-dont-need-to-spend-more-than-2-on-an-hdmi-cable-1071343
    Forum Member
    Thanks everybody for all your help - time spent on digital spy forums is money well saved :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stigid wrote: »
    Monster ..... no way.

I went to a demonstration of Monster Audio Cables, upon inspection after the demo, I discovered one channel of the audio amplifier had been modified to give a poor frequency response, on the non MC side !!

They of course wouldn't repeat the demo with the cables swapped over.

They do the same with TVs. Two TVs in a showroom window one was connected via a £80 cable the other with a "standard" cable. One TV had a perfect picture - the other was so obviously poorly configured to pretend that the expensive connection cable that they happened to be selling had a better performance.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which will be three eighths of sweet FA use if the kit you are using is not also HDMI 1.4 with ethernet capable. If the kit only has HDMI 1.3 interfaces then no point using a cable with ethernet.
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Which will be three eighths of sweet FA use if the kit you are using is not also HDMI 1.4 with ethernet capable. If the kit only has HDMI 1.3 interfaces then no point using a cable with ethernet.
    My new panasonic viera 3d tv and 3d bluray both work with the hdmi ethernet option, so know thats no issue, but thanks anyway.

Replaces my current sony bravia which was the same size screen, but the sony tv was twice the thickness!

Anyway have now gone for two cables for £10, so saved myself loads of money by not buying the Monster overpriced cables.
    Forum Member
    My new panasonic viera 3d tv and 3d bluray both work with the hdmi ethernet option, so know thats no issue, but thanks anyway.

Replaces my current sony bravia which was the same size screen, but the sony tv was twice the thickness!

Anyway have now gone for two cables for £10, so saved myself loads of money by not buying the Monster overpriced cables.

That's great, you can concentrate on keeping our buses running and not getting stuck hundreds of feet up on a cable! :D:):)
    Forum Member
    haha very funny! Fancy David Cameron round your house for tea and a chat about the future of the UK's economy :p:D
    Forum Member
    haha very funny! Fancy David Cameron round your house for tea and a chat about the future of the UK's economy :p:D

I think I'll pass on that thanks.

Pleased you haven't been ripped off. :)

It's a bit like with HiFi:
    Gold plated phono plugs (arguable).

Gold plated mains plugs, :eek: (with all the transformers switches and noise introduced into the mains I don't think 1 gold plated plug is going to make any difference).

Speaker cable: one brand says their ones best cos it's got umpteen strands, another cos it's single stranded! :confused:

One Hifi magazine said normal twin and earth was very good and better than many expensive cables.

Now we've got the same with TV.