Options

Cineworld Hammersmith

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
Forum Member
I've seen a lot of posts on here about it being a sh*thole - but I think it's actually a decent place to go to - recently uploaded to digital, sound systems aren't sh*te anymore and fewer crowds, meaning fewer idiots :D

For all whose local/nearest cinema is Hammersmith - what are your thoughts on it?

Comments

• Options
    bvmjainbvmjain Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    When it was a 2 screen cinema it was great...There was a great atmosphere at the top.
    The change to 4 screens by UGC made the cinema fairly souless.

The 2 upstairs screens are acceptable. However, downstairs there are definitely sound issues, particularly on screen 4.. The speakers are offset & dont' seem to have been repositioned when the single screen was turned into 2 screens.......Also the bass/woofer seems to have been busted since the dawn of time..... Also, while the temperature up stairs is fine- downstairs both screens are simply too hot- it is like a sauna in there- and no matter how often you point this out- you get the usual - "no-one else has complained". ... The fact that staff are swanning aound in T-shirts and don't feel cold, should give them a clue as to how hot it is in there.

The cinema is virtually empty most of the time apart from weekends- so it is a good place to watch a film in relative peace & quiet...I generally go there a couple of times a week, & watch early afternoon / evening showings between 3pm & 6pm- and am usually one of less than 10 people in the auditorium- and can therefore get my 'usual' front center seat & not have to worry about people using mobile phones - as any 'light distraction' is going on behind me.

Tesco still want to turn the location into a Tesco metro- and the Conservative council want Tesco's money in order to demolish & rebuild the townhall next to the cinema.... The site has had a stay of execution thanks to the mayor- and a celebrity 'save the architecture' campaign...
    However, I can see the plans continuing to be pushed by Tesco every so often- and some weak politician eventually relenting..
  • Options
    ZapomaticZapomatic Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm always intrigued by these non-multiplex Cineworlds. They are so unlike the bland boxes the company otherwise operates. Hammersmith is the only one of these older sites I haven't been to and from the photos on Flickr does look rather unloved compared to Haymarket, Fulham Road, Chelsea and Haymarket. There's an exterior photo of it from the late 80s when it was a Cannon and it seems apart from just after Virgin tarted it up in the 90s it's always looked a bit dilapidated!