Going For Gold: Anyone else remember it?

1235»

Comments

• TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikebuk wrote:
    Sadly. quizzes of this nature were lost when the budgets were put into reality TV and 'Celebrity Snorefest' shows.
    Agreed, going for gold's budget was about £10 by todays production costs..... :rolleyes:
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikebuk wrote:
    Sadly. quizzes of this nature were lost when the budgets were put into reality TV and 'Celebrity Snorefest' shows.

Shame. Most of the money would be spent on funding the 'celebrity' participants' wages, not to mention Ant and Dec's presenting fees!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    The BBC should bring back Going For Gold for a one-off series .

The prize - The winner will get tickets for the 2012 olympics.

"one, two , tree, select " :D

Anyone know where you can download the FULL version of the theme ?
    I know its on youtube, but want to get an actual top-quality copy of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Time for a revived afternoon slot in place of Neighbours, per chance??.... :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    busman12 wrote: »
    The BBC should bring back Going For Gold for a one-off series .

The prize - The winner will get tickets for the 2012 olympics.
    I wonder if they can finally stop Henry Kelly from sniffing as he always did that in the show
  • AkilduffAkilduff Posts: 4,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if they can finally stop Henry Kelly from sniffing as he always did that in the show

Henry Kelly was offered the guest part of BBC host Henry Sellers on Father Ted but turned it down....
  • AkilduffAkilduff Posts: 4,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Other great quiz shows of that time for me were Turnabout with Rob Curling, Masterword (?) with Paul Coia, Four Square with John Sachs, What's My Line.... and let's not forget Blockbusters!

But Going For Gold was definitely a personal fave... and what a prize!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Akilduff wrote: »
    Other great quiz shows of that time for me were Turnabout with Rob Curling, Masterword (?) with Paul Coia, Four Square with John Sachs, What's My Line.... and let's not forget Blockbusters!

But Going For Gold was definitely a personal fave... and what a prize!

Catchword!! That was great!! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,846
    Forum Member
    Ooo I used to adore Going For Gold!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Much better than the nasty Anne Robinson and The Weakest Link's tired old format.
  • sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    Win Lose or Draw was always a favourite of mine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And Keynotes, for those days when I was skiving off school. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    I used to like Going for Gold (and accidently found a French version on TV5 (?) the other day).

But does anyone remember MasterTeam with Angela Rippon? That one could be brought back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, Angela Rippon doesn't seem to do much these days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    Yes, Angela Rippon doesn't seem to do much these days.
    She does cash im the attic sometimes or as we in the catbox call it cr*p in your cupboard :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 98
    Forum Member

But does anyone remember MasterTeam with Angela Rippon? That one could be brought back.

Masterteam was on at the 5.30 slot before the BBC started showing Neighbours.

I remember the teams had chosen their own team name. I remember at one point we had the `weathermen` on it (John Kettly,Michael Fish etc..).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She does cash im the attic sometimes or as we in the catbox call it cr*p in your cupboard :D

:D:D

A much more appropriate title.
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stumbled across this thread whilst trawling t'internet for this very clip. The guy went frickin' mental. Unbelievable telly. Looking at the list of series winners and narrowing it down to my student days it must've been Erik Matteson from Norway. I long for the day someone chucks it on YouTube.
    In a case of answering a question "better late than never" the whole of Erik's winning performance in the Going For Gold 1989 final has been up on youtube for a few years now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VHXUEYIaSo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjySCxxPpI0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUIqZvf7410

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bw23_xaWts

The final link is where Erik wins the 1989 final - I think this must be the best celebration by someone winning a quiz show that I've ever seen, he goes absolutely mental! Click on the last link and watch it, it's from 1.04 onwards Absolutely unbelievable and Henry Kelly can hardly contain himself from having hysterics! As did I at the time, I was watching this particular episode as due to a strike wasn't at work that day. I completely fell about laughing and still find it hilarious even now! :D
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hahahaha that's brilliant! :D

I used to love this show, the theme tune was brilliant.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I used to really enjoy Going for Gold, would always watch it when I was off school :D
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently the theme tune was composed by Hans Zimmer. Given he's one of my favourite composers now it's no wonder I loved it.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still playing catch up !!!