Options

Police probe 'racist' mural at an Edinburgh primary school

12346»

Comments

• Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Only one person has complained... the outrage here has reached 132 posts and growing!!!!!

Incidentally... I thought Golliwogs were an Enid Blyton thing? I hadn't realised that old paedophile Lewis Carroll had them in Alice in Wonderland... in fact I'm convinced he didn't.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wut? A 132 posts of outrage? Someone hasn't been reading the thread before sticking his tuppence in! :D
  • Options
    lionelmortonlionelmorton Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blofeld wrote: »
    I just remembered "Santas Workshop" and all the original Tom and Jerry cartoons (well, repeats obviously, I was an 80s child). I used to love all that as a kid. I didn't grow up to hate black people, so does that mean that me seeing a Golliwog or "Mammy" on the screen was a good thing or did it make no difference whatsoever to my upbringing?

I don't think it makes as big an impact when they re-edit films or bubble wrap new films to miss out the racial elements. For example a film made today about slavery would be a lot more hard hitting and gritty if they included the most offensive words and terms associated with it. If they just bubble wrapped the audience in case muttering that word offended someone then people would leave just thinking "Oh, another movie seen". If they leave with something real in their mind then it's going to have a longer lasting effect and make them think more about what they have just seen.

Erasing things we now consider offensive out of history would be like telling the story of the Titanic without the Sinking. You would never get the full picture and would never understand why things are the way they are today.

Indeed.
    Its good that most of the classic animation releases in the US are aimed at adults so include the uncut versions albeit with stupid PC notices telling us how it was so bad to show this even in the 1930's .
    Whoopi Goldberg actually says : "It was wrong then and its wrong now" but there's nobody there to tell her it actually wasn't wrong then which is why Disney made the toons in the first place.

Unfortunately Disney don't cater for adult sales in the UK and seem to assume all their content is for kids hence their edits that pander to morons such as the complainer in the mural case
  • Options
    John RobinsonJohn Robinson Posts: 2,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blofeld wrote: »
    What do you think painting over a mural created in the 1930's will achieve?

Will painting over that totally non offensive mural end all racism worldwide and bring peace on Earth? Will all traces of any racially motivated events and crimes be erased from history and all future acts of aggression based on race will be eradicated from time?

Or will it anger people more because narrow minds have destroyed a great piece of harmless artwork?

On the contrary, I believe that all this PC anti-racist clap-trap does nothing but exacerbate the problem. It's a pity that the do-gooders cannot see this.
  • Options
    RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    On the contrary, I believe that all this PC anti-racist clap-trap does nothing but exacerbate the problem. It's a pity that the do-gooders cannot see this.

that is very ture what you say:D

whish there was a like button
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a sensible world the complainant would have simply been arrested and charged for wasting police time.

Wouldn't that be a sensible thing? Unfortunately, the police have been told to prioritise 'certain things' these days. Another thing, I'm sure, that infuriates most people in this country who do not have an axe to grind.
  • Options
    Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    Wut? A 132 posts of outrage? Someone hasn't been reading the thread before sticking his tuppence in! :D

When did speaking out against something become being outraged? It used to be seen as a good thing to be passionate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When did speaking out against something become being outraged? It used to be seen as a good thing to be passionate.

Plus a few are from Estella and his mad paint brush! :D
  • Options
    Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Okay, am I exceptionally thick because I do not understand this post at all. :confused::o
  • Options
    estrella★estrella★ Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mad as in PC-gone-mad, you mean? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

Seems to have dried up... what was a golliwog doing in Alice in Wonderland anyhoo?
  • Options
    Jessica LeMoneJessica LeMone Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    I remember collecting Gollies off the Robinson's Jam jars and sending off for Golly badges. I still have them tucked away out of harms way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mad as in PC-gone-mad, you mean? :D

No. Not that kind of mad. This kind :mad::mad::mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mesostim wrote: »
    Seems to have dried up... what was a golliwog doing in Alice in Wonderland anyhoo?

The artist is probably long dead, we'll never know why he or she stuck it in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The artist is probably long dead, we'll never know why he or she stuck it in.

Surely a lot of artists are long dead and yet their art is still the subject of discussion and speculation? :)

I for one would make a small complaint if a mural were discovered in a Primary School of Gandalf holding back the Lord of the Nazgûl at the gates of Minas Tirith and Noddy was seen waving out of a window. :mad::mad::mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember collecting Gollies off the Robinson's Jam jars and sending off for Golly badges. I still have them tucked away out of harms way.

Well keep them there and don't broadcast the fact or you'll have a visit from the PC police! :eek:
  • Options
    darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ditto, I wonder if when today's generation of schoolchildren reach adulthood and begin to understand and experience the real world around them, they'll be quite so keen on the the new 'original sin' which the 'racism' industry tries so hard to bash into them ?
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Northerly wrote: »
    The police should tell her to f off

Blunt and to the point ...... and I agree completely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mesostim wrote: »
    Surely a lot of artists are long dead and yet their art is still the subject of discussion and speculation? :)

I for one would make a small complaint if a mural were discovered in a Primary School of Gandalf holding back the Lord of the Nazgûl at the gates of Minas Tirith and Noddy was seen waving out of a window. :mad::mad::mad:

I can only surmise that kind of doll was maybe popular at the time. Like painting Alice with one of those creepy Bratz things these days!