Failed delivery from postman

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    pugamo wrote: »
    As I have said, I can't, and nor can the other many other people who work for big companies in offices and shops. I would love to work flexi time.

I am not being selfish, I am saying delivery should be arranged around when people can take the delivery. It makes perfect sense. The current system isn't customer orientated at all which is why so many people have complaints about courier services.

You are a delivery driver with 50-60 deliveries to make over a 20-30 mile radius. Everyone wants different times. Please enlighten us how your 'perfect sense' would make the logistics of this work?

You aren't a customer of the courier either - their duty is to the person employing their services to make the delivery on their behalf. If you want proper customer service, then phone up a man with a van and ask him to pick up from the retailer you have ordered from and then drop off at a time suitable to you. It will cost a lot more than Amazon Super Saver delivery, but at least you get the service you expect, right?
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No courier depots only open 9-5.
    Most will be open by 7 or 8am and most will be open until 7pm at least .
    They're clearly not going to only open the exact same hours that they can't deliver to your house and expect you to collect.

To be honest , if I had a restricted hours job I would ensure the delivery method allowed for perhaps delivering to my work , to a neighbour , leaving in a safe place or I wouldn't order the item - specially if it meant travelling to a depot.

I usually do actually but there is the odd small thing that you expect will just go through the letterbox but the sender has chosen to use a courier that requires a signature etc.

I don't even mind if things get send to the depot. I just don't like the attitude that everyone should sit at home waiting for parcels, it's very old fashioned.
  • lionelmortonlionelmorton Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I have said, I can't, and nor can the other many other people who work for big companies in offices and shops. I would love to work flexi time.

I am not being selfish, I am saying delivery should be arranged around when people can take the delivery. It makes perfect sense. The current system isn't customer orientated at all which is why so many people have complaints about courier services.
    Every delivery company offers a one off re-delivery for free which means it costs them money.
    Do you really think that if a system was there for them to deliver more packages that they wouldn't take it.
    As I've said there is no safe window anymore.

Your argument is fatally flawed in your belief that more people work 9-5 than any other time - and also fails to take into account the number of 9-5 workers who may not be home for an additional 4 hours .
    I have customers for my business who I deliver to and at least one member of the household works in London and will be away from 7am -7pm.
    Other customers work night shifts one week - early shift another week.

You simply can't average it out except to say that there is no set hour pattern to minimise failed deliveries
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are a delivery driver with 50-60 deliveries to make over a 20-30 mile radius. Everyone wants different times. Please enlighten us how your 'perfect sense' would make the logistics of this work?

You aren't a customer of the courier either - their duty is to the person employing their services to make the delivery on their behalf. If you want proper customer service, then phone up a man with a van and ask him to pick up from the retailer you have ordered from and then drop off at a time suitable to you. It will cost a lot more than Amazon Super Saver delivery, but at least you get the service you expect, right?

Presumably they have a transport operator who deals with the logistics?

Your second example is just silly.
    Forum Member

Your first example is silly and fails to answer the question.

Unless you are seriously expecting several vehicles to be criss-crossing around a set area offering bespoke timed deliveries at low cost, as that would be REALLY silly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is a good example of the kind of service I think courier companies in the UK should offer, but others here are telling me its selfish to expect good service, it's impossible and you shouldn't order online if you want your goods delivered at a time that suits.

The worst companies we have are Yodel and Hermes, who fairly often turn up a week and a half after your parcel was supposed to be delivered, leave a "sorry we missed you" card even if you were in, and leave your parcel thrown over the neighbours hedge.
    Nobody has said its selfish to expect good service.
    It is selfish to expect delivery services to revolve around your work schedule only .
    If you want goods delivered at a specific time then you need to pay for it but because its not really operationally logical to allow customers to choose the time most won't offer the service because they can't.

I agree Hermes and Yodel are rubbish but this is mainly because many of their drivers are self employed people using their own transport and earning peanuts per package.
    And they get nothing to re-deliver which is why they end up leaving them anywhere they can.

Supermarkets offer time windows but unlike parcel couriers they don't have 100 drops per day covering a large area.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't want to be rude but you really are delusional.
    Imagine working in a 30 hour radius and having to travel from one edge of the area to another 30-40 times in one day simply to accomodate people like you .
    That could be getting on for 1000 miles.
    Now do you realise how silly it sounds.

I have a round of 20-30 calls per day with my business and if every customere wanted their own specific time it would be logistically impossible
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazon's Next Day delivery service costs quite a lot but even that is delivery by 1pm .
    How would Pugamo cope with that one ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I usually do actually but there is the odd small thing that you expect will just go through the letterbox but the sender has chosen to use a courier that requires a signature etc.

I don't even mind if things get send to the depot. I just don't like the attitude that everyone should sit at home waiting for parcels, it's very old fashioned.
    Only to you.
    More than ever with online deliveries it is quite simply impossible to do timed deliveries and keep prices low.

You can easily get a door to door service but the postage could be £30+ depending on where you are.
    But you are not alone in wanting to get things for nothing.

There are no companies that offer cheap timed deliveries.
    Some offer AM or PM and they charge extra for that too
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Well people do have jobs it would be nice if couriers took that into account rather than turning up between 9-5 incessantly despite it being perfectly clear that no one will ever be in at that time of day.

Says who. Not everybody works 9-5 or are out of the house between those hours.

Shift workers.
    The unemployed.
    Home workers.
    Retired people.
    Students (at times).
    etc. etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Says who. Not everybody works 9-5 or are out of the house between those hours.

Shift workers.
    The unemployed.
    Home workers.
    Retired people.
    Students (at times).
    etc. etc.
    To be fair to Pugamo - we are talking about people being in for deliveries so apart from shift workers which has already been mentioned , none of your other groups would be a problem
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For Pugamo - its worth pointing out that Amazon deliver on sundays now too . With Amazon Prime you can get deliveries on saturdays and sundays too so you have no excuse . It costs of course but if you order a lot of items get a Prime sub for £49
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DPD send an email and a text on the morning of your delivery with an hour time slot that they'll be delivering to you in, and a number to call if that time is inconvenient for you.

Also, I'm sure lots of companies allow those people who are working in the week to use a couple of £s of their disposable income to pay extra for Saturday delivery.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The other month, we got a leaflet trough the door saying that if a packet was too big to deliver, it would be left with a neighbour. This morning there was a "Something for you" card behind the door.:mad:
    WHY DIDN'T THEY LEAVE IT WITH A NEIGHBOUR ??
    Here's a fantastic new idea for them - Knock louder on the bloody door !!
    I was in bed when the card was filled out (8.40 this morning).

Maybe your neighbour opted out , i opted out of this scheme.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    couriers do work out of 9-5 - many work 7 til 2100
    I have had deliveries at 2100

however if this is about a postman - obviously they dont

not sure why and where couriers come into it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    couriers do work out of 9-5 - many work 7 til 2100
    I have had deliveries at 2100

however if this is about a postman - obviously they dont

not sure why and where couriers come into it
    I think it started out as a complaint about a postman which logically lead to discussion of alternative methods of delivery
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    This has got to be one of the funniest threads I've read in a long time! :D

I would like all of my parcels to be delivered between 9.15 and 9.45am, except on Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays during the American Football season because I quite like to watch the late games the previous night, so 10.15 - 10.45 would be more convenient ... oh, and if there's an F1 practice session going on at any of those times, I'd like the courier to deliver after the coverage has finished.

P.S. Have we covered the "obvious problem" with couriers sending a text to give a specific delivery time because few people can just take an hour off work during the day to be in for a delivery ... or have we yet to address that thorny issue? :cool:
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you are taking delivery of something then you should accept you need to make provision to take it.

What time do you want the couriers to work? Perhaps start at 7am and finish at 8am as people may be going to work and then start again at 6pm and stop around 9pm as people may be going to bed at this time.

Why can't they have part time couriers who work out of hours?
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,981
    Forum Member
    Not everything can be bought on the high street, that's why.

You must be a delivery person as I have clearly touched a nerve hence the tetchy response.Who can guarantee they will be in the house 24 hours a day? That is utterly ridiculous. Those of us who work are more likely to be ordering things online as we have more disposable income.

There needs to be some give and take. Is it beyond the realms of possibility that couriers could work outside the hours of 9-5? Online businesses cannot and do not expect people to take a days annual leave every time they order something online to sit at home all day, not to mention it would probably be more like a week as couriers seem to deliver at their leisure, as proven by this thread!

When have you ever ordered something online to which the delivery details read: "Please be available from 00:00 until 23:59 on Monday ## November".

Nobody expects you to be in for 24 hours, you order something online then you either book the day off work, organise for somebody to take delivery of the item or change the delivery date to one that suits you. You choose to buy the item, it's your responsibility to make sure you can accept delivery for it. And just a quick note, not everybody works a 9-5 job.

As for the OP, you missed the delivery because you were in bed. You didn't miss it because the postman was at fault. You were in bed at 08:40 yet you ask why they didn't leave it with a neighbour. Maybe they were in bed too?
    Forum Member
    Why can't they have part time couriers who work out of hours?

Because they already have full time couriers who work out of hours.
    As for the OP, you missed the delivery because you were in bed. You didn't miss it because the postman was at fault. You were in bed at 08:40 yet you ask why they didn't leave it with a neighbour. Maybe they were in bed too?

What selfish neighbours some people have. Mine get up extra early so I can have a lie-in.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    s2k wrote: »
    Didn't RM put a leaflet through your door recently about this? It basically said they wont leave stuff with neighbours unless you specifically tell them to, and would provide you with a sticker to put on your letterbox notifying the postie if this was the case.

I've got one stuck up by my letterbox.

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/receiving-mail/delivery-to-neighbour
  • Jessica LeMoneJessica LeMone Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    play that funky music jra ;)
  • SsddSsdd Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slightly OT but I got home the other day and found a card through the door. On it the delivery person had written "lobbed it over back fence. Didnt seem breakable". So I went round the back to find the parcel right in front of my patio doors. :eek: That is a good 10 metres away from the fence so he really DID lob it over! Luckily for the delivery person it wasn't breakable and it really made me chuckle but wow that could've really wound up some people. :D
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine just leaves it at the back door usually. Depends on the postie. I like maverick postmen.

Mine opens the kitchen window, pops the parcel on the kitchen worktop then pushes the window closed afterwards. Maverick posties rule :D