Dire Christmas Day TV:

Comments

• Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Bill_James wrote: »
    New Years Eve and New Years day is just as dire. Repeat of repeats of repeats

Just been having a look at New Year's Eve and day, Christ on a bike!

TV has just given up now.
  • Bill_JamesBill_James Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    lala wrote: »
    But davey you have to understand also, there's a whole new generation of people now who simply don't care about the channels that they watch their show on. Because the channels in themselves are irrelevant, it's the content that is king. People choose what they watch now, via dvds, pvr, netflix etc.

Once I series link record a show... Honestly, I'm completely oblivious as to what channel that show is on now. It's just about content. For this Xmas, I recorded movies to watch on Xmas, the only show I was concerned about watching was Dr Who... And even that I recorded.

There's going to come a day, perhaps in 10 to 15 years... Where we will, for cost reasons, not have a lot of channels. Instead what we will have are "channels" without any sort of traditional scheduling (a part from maybe events like sports, funerals of royals etc)... instead it's a kind of netflix model of choose what you want to watch.

Since I have had sky+, which is coming up to 10 years now, I have not watched a traditional christmas schedule... I just haven't. And I don't think I could ever go back considering the dire stuff schedulers think we want to see... When in fact we don't.

But all those channels and DVD's are full of the same old dross repeated endlessly and repeated across the channels. The amount of new material is minimal and the quality of it poor
  • tiltonlandtiltonland Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    Hasn't been a good Christmas on the box that's for sure
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    Doctor Who was the best thing on christmas day IMO,
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doctor Who was the best thing on christmas day IMO,

given your name that's no surprise. For me it was an unholy mess and has polled badly on the Dr Who thread, so no highlight for many of us.
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    given your name that's no surprise. For me it was an unholy mess and has polled badly on the Dr Who thread, so no highlight for many of us.

Each to Thier own, I enjoyed it
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A damp squid wasn't it.
  • MindbearMindbear Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    A damp squid wasn't it.

Eyyyy! Someone else who says this. I thought it was 'squid' for a long time until someone explained it was in fact, 'squib'.

And yes, either way, it was particularly terrible. There was nothing for me whatsoever. Nothing. I enjoyed Finding Nemo, and bits of Tangled, I enjoyed Eastenders, but generally, I was fed up, or disappointed by shows I hoped would be better. To give Mrs Browns Boys TWO shows took the wee wee. If we must be punished can it not be once, and with something on the other side to watch, like a brilliant sitcom on Channel 4? I'm miffed. I've had a rotten year and I could have done with being cheered up by christmas tv. NOWT!

One of my favourite rituals is going through the christmas radio times with a highlighter. There was barely any need. Bugger all to circle!
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    BBC1's most successful Christmas night ever when 28,835,000 tuned in to Morecambe and Wise on Sunday December 25, 1977:

3.00 The Queen
    3.05 Billy Smart's Christmas Circus
    4.05 The Wizard of Oz starring Judy Garland
    5.45 Basil Through the Looking Glass: Basil Brush with Howard Williams
    6.15 News
    6.25 Family Carols from the Albert Hall
    7.15 Bruce Forsyth and the Generation Game
    8.20 The Mike Yarwood Christmas Show
    8.55 Morecambe and Wise
    10.00 News
    10.05 Funny Girl (film with Barbra Streisand)
    12.30 Weather,close

I would have preferred that schedule to this years!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    There was a total overdose of Harry potter yesterday 😩😩
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pasty face wrote: »
    There was a total overdose of Harry potter yesterday 😩😩

Just yesterday????
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Someone on the thread said there was a lack of talent. Go to Edinburgh in August and you will see lots of talent but not getting on air.
    The Ginge Geordie and The Geek do well at the fringe and got a show, there are other light entertainers that could easily fill up schedules.
  • Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    I really miss all those Hollywood hokum films starring the likes of Tony Curtis/Piper Laurie, like.....

Son Of Sinbad and Prince Of Thieves. They were proper Christmas fayre years ago but now we just get the same films on a loop all through the year. Tedious.
  • gkmaccagkmacca Posts: 9,386
    Forum Member
    Terrestrial TV never seems more rooted in the 1970s than when it persists during these periods with loads of old movies. Now that there are endless movie channels, DVDs, internet streaming services etc etc, terrestrial channels should give up boasting about 'movie premieres' etc and use the air time instead to offer people home-grown tv shows. They don't even have to cost that much - but with a bit of imagination they could actually provide us with a bit of variety. A wild idea, I know, but it's not impossible.
  • lavender50lavender50 Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Downton Abbey was ok, but my favourite was the original"The Snowman";-)
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lavender50 wrote: »
    Downton Abbey was ok, but my favourite was the original"The Snowman";-)

Yes it was brilliant to see the 4:3 Snowman, I'd lost hope of that being on again as even the blu-ray only has the cut down version.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    A damp squid wasn't it.
    So it was good then? Because squid's should be wet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bill_James wrote: »
    But all those channels and DVD's are full of the same old dross repeated endlessly and repeated across the channels. The amount of new material is minimal and the quality of it poor
    No they are not and there is much more new material now than there ever was. As already said my 1tb box I bought from July is 86% full and most of it is newly broadcast material from the BBC, Channel 4 and ITV. Then there are subscription services like Netflix and Lovefilm who offer some exclusive original content that has not been on TV. Even Sky in recent years have been investing in a lot of new original content as well. British TV has never been more successful with many of our shows also doing well outside the Country. Something which didn't happen in your "so called" good old days.
  • thismorningfanthismorningfan Posts: 1,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't watch ITV at all on Christmas Day. All I watched on TV was Top of the Pops, Doctor Who and EastEnders. All of them on BBC1.
  • LordmilkymilkyLordmilkymilky Posts: 309
    Forum Member
    Mindbear wrote: »
    Eyyyy! Someone else who says this. I thought it was 'squid' for a long time until someone explained it was in fact, 'squib'.

And yes, either way, it was particularly terrible. There was nothing for me whatsoever. Nothing. I enjoyed Finding Nemo, and bits of Tangled, I enjoyed Eastenders, but generally, I was fed up, or disappointed by shows I hoped would be better. To give Mrs Browns Boys TWO shows took the wee wee. If we must be punished can it not be once, and with something on the other side to watch, like a brilliant sitcom on Channel 4? I'm miffed. I've had a rotten year and I could have done with being cheered up by christmas tv. NOWT!

One of my favourite rituals is going through the christmas radio times with a highlighter. There was barely any need. Bugger all to circle!

Ah yes...the highlighter in the radio times. Have done that since I was a teen many many years ago. But you are right...very little was highlighted this year!! Poor christmas season all round to be honest. With all the choice of media these days I'm wondering whether the Broadcasters are beginning to feel pushing the boat out at this time of year is really worth the effort and expense..
  • RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Repeating Mrs Brown already. .. Oh dear. It was only on 3 days ago.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's been endless repeats over the holiday. It's been that dire, that today, I watched "Night Passage" a 1957 western on ITV4, starring Jimmy Stewart and Audie Murphy.

It's ironic that Brandon de Wilde though four years older, repeated his "Joey" character from "Shane."
  • RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have preferred that schedule to this years!

And Funny Girl was probably a 1st showing. .
  • MindbearMindbear Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah yes...the highlighter in the radio times. Have done that since I was a teen many many years ago. But you are right...very little was highlighted this year!! Poor christmas season all round to be honest. With all the choice of media these days I'm wondering whether the Broadcasters are beginning to feel pushing the boat out at this time of year is really worth the effort and expense..

But this is the thing! There is SO much media, so, given that, people should have been able to find 'something' constantly, but there wasn't much at all. Now its just repeats of stuff thats already been on. I was so miffed when the radio times showed me nothing of joy, and christmas eve, day, and boxing day, it's 72 hours, surely they could fill that with 'something'!? I used to fill up tons of videos with christmas shows. I remember so many wonderful and great things, and it wasn't just because I was a teen. There were sitcoms this year that surely could have had a special other than Mrs Browns Boys? I mean, surely!? Doctor Who was nice enough, but I don't follow it so it made not a lot of sense to me. I'm sad at christmas tv :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mindbear wrote: »
    But this is the thing! There is SO much media, so, given that, people should have been able to find 'something' constantly, but there wasn't much at all. Now its just repeats of stuff thats already been on. I was so miffed when the radio times showed me nothing of joy, and christmas eve, day, and boxing day, it's 72 hours, surely they could fill that with 'something'!? I used to fill up tons of videos with christmas shows. I remember so many wonderful and great things, and it wasn't just because I was a teen. There were sitcoms this year that surely could have had a special other than Mrs Browns Boys? I mean, surely!? Doctor Who was nice enough, but I don't follow it so it made not a lot of sense to me. I'm sad at christmas tv :(
    Again it has been pointed out numerous times there are plenty more shows than there used to be. But people like yourself just want to moan and go on about the good old days that never ever existed. If it is just endless repeats then how have I nearly filled up a 1tb Freesat box in 6 months? I certainly couldn't have done that if we still had the crud we had back then on only 4 channels.