Gibraltar - Britain in the Sun

13»

Comments

• Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Series two started tonight.

Still a great programme; one of Channel 5's best in fact.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Series two started tonight.

Still a great programme; one of Channel 5's best in fact.

I enjoy the show as well.
  • GodAtumGodAtum Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    how did the wedding couple skip the border queue?
  • CigaretteSmokerCigaretteSmoker Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    This programme just reinforces to me how Gibraltar isn't actually very British on a cultural level.

The programme is clearly going to great efforts to make Gibraltar look as British as possible, but they have predominantly only been interviewing British expats.

The reality is you could have made the same programme in a British expat area of Southern Spain and made Southern Spain look just as British as Gibraltar.

As others have pointed out, when they interview real Gibraltarians it is immediately evident that they speak English with a Spanish accent and that their native language is Spanish.

Gibraltar is really nothing like the UK. It is sustained by the rather dubious banking and gabling industries and is not representative of a real working British community.

Yeah, they wave their British flags, although never without the Gibraltarian flag accompanying it, but in my view the only reason they feel British is because the UK has turned their small rock into a financial centre that the local Gibraltarians have become very rich from.

They known that under Spanish rule they would no longer be a financial centre and have to do normal work for a living like most other parts of the world!

Don't be taken in by a few token fish and chip and a few British flags.

The reality is Gibraltarians are predominantly a Spanish people, with a heavy mixture of Italian and Maltese as well.
  • James_MonnellyJames_Monnelly Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having visited the gib office of our bank I have one conclusion to make. However that conclusion would get me banned so not going to share it. So you can gather it is not a good one.
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having visited the gib office of our bank I have one conclusion to make. However that conclusion would get me banned so not going to share it. So you can gather it is not a good one.

And me - we live in Spain and do not even take free trips over there.
    Took my Mother in Law and she said she wished she had never gone as it rather ruined the romantic image she had of it from years ago.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GodAtum wrote: »
    how did the wedding couple skip the border queue?

I wondered that too.

It was never explained how they did that.:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This programme just reinforces to me how Gibraltar isn't actually very British on a cultural level.

The programme is clearly going to great efforts to make Gibraltar look as British as possible, but they have predominantly only been interviewing British expats.

The reality is you could have made the same programme in a British expat area of Southern Spain and made Southern Spain look just as British as Gibraltar.

As others have pointed out, when they interview real Gibraltarians it is immediately evident that they speak English with a Spanish accent and that their native language is Spanish.

Gibraltar is really nothing like the UK. It is sustained by the rather dubious banking and gabling industries and is not representative of a real working British community.

Totally Disagree with your assesment, Welsh people speak welsh and english, Nothern Irish and Scottish speak Gaelic and English, yet they are all British, so what if they have a spanish accent and can speak spanish? That does not make them any less British.

Regarding your comment about dubious banking and gambling, The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development constantly lists Gibraltar on its "White" list. (As does the US Govt) Gibraltar is clean, it is just a lie peddled by Spain that the whole world sadly seems to keep believing.

:Rolls eyes: