The Jonathan Creek Thread!

Comments

• jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    The reveal of the killer was, but the reveal of how the murder of the policewoman was committed made up for it for me.

Was that the one set in the gym?
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    I think it was the first episode, where
    The girl was found bound and gagged in the room with the artist (Colin Baker) dead at the end of the bed. Turned out she shot the gun with her feet.

Luckily, there are a lot of things going on in every episode, especially when Adam Klaus is involved, and you can ignore a duff plot and enjoy the rest.

Though it does make it difficult to remember which episode is which.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Was that the one set in the gym?

Yep, that's the one.

I liked the first episode too. Absolutely ludicrous plot but very entertaining along with Maddy and Jonathan's first meeting, the scenes with the cleaner and her boyfriend, the first visit to the windmill. I think it's all great.
  • RobRob Posts: 4,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC have confirmed on Twitter air date is the 28th of Feb. Can't wait :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Yep, that's the one.

I liked the first episode too. Absolutely ludicrous plot but very entertaining along with Maddy and Jonathan's first meeting, the scenes with the cleaner and her boyfriend, the first visit to the windmill. I think it's all great.

I don't know if it's a natural drop in creativity, but I've noticed that the quality of the writing of a number of crime authors has dropped as their output increases.

Patricia Cornwell, Lee Child, Robert Goddard, Dan Brown, Karin Slaughter, Val McDermid, Karen Rose all wrote better books at the start of their careers than they have recently.

In my opinion, anyway.
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just seen the trailer for 28 Feb episode...Looks good!
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen the trailer for 28 Feb episode...Looks good!

Is there a cast list?
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there a cast list?

No..It was just a short clip, I did spot June Whitfield though!
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just saw the trailer before the Voice...so excited! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First two synopsis have been revealed - I can't post them as I'm on my phone but they look good :)
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Jonathan Creek is my top favourite show! Looking forward to the next one. Alan Davies is superb as the bland character!
    I must admit - he was best with Caroline Quentin! :):)
  • conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonathan Creek is my top favourite show! Looking forward to the next one. Alan Davies is superb as the bland character!
    I must admit - he was best with Caroline Quentin! :):)

Everyone thinks that… thats the frustrating thing!! Even SHE said she would love to come back.

So why don't they do something about it. Get her back.
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    conchie wrote: »
    Everyone thinks that… thats the frustrating thing!! Even SHE said she would love to come back.

Maybe she makes a surprise appearance, which they've managed to keep secret. Would make more sense to have Jonathan investigating stuff with Maddie rather than with his dull wife.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gboy wrote: »
    Maybe she makes a surprise appearance, which they've managed to keep secret. Would make more sense to have Jonathan investigating stuff with Maddie rather than with his dull wife.

Would love to see a mystery where Maddie was the subject matter… missing…. and Jonathan is on the case !!
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Sheridan not in it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In case you missed it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANYVsJGYIEc&feature=share

David Tennant?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mikey_C wrote: »
    In case you missed it..

David Tennant?

Sadly not - can't remember the name of the actor, but apparently his character is a massive piss take of Sherlock :D
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think that something went on for Caroline Quentin to not come back, one of the best things about those first 3 series wasn't just the crime and the mysterious element but the will they wont they story running between Jonathan and Maddie and the great scenes we got between the pair, It would be so good if they could get Maddie back, even if for just one episode. The chemistry between those characters was always brilliant
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    The fact she has said she would come back suggests she has said or done something to annoy either the writer or Alan Davies. Otherwise why would they not have had her back?
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has he dyed his hair in this series as Alan's hair was greyer in last year's Easter special?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    The fact she has said she would come back suggests she has said or done something to annoy either the writer or Alan Davies. Otherwise why would they not have had her back?

Its certainly looking that way, but even if she did annoy either the writer or Alan, how bad could it have been to hold a grudge for this long. Did she leave them in the lurch when she left originally, were they pissed off with that. Who knows. I quite liked the episodes with Julia Sawalha, even though they could never be a patch on the Caroline years. It lost me when Sheridan Smith got involved, lovely girl, great actress, but just not for Jonathan Creek.

As for this current state of affairs where they have him married to someone not particularly likable at all, well who knows. Maybe thats the best clue we have that wifey won't be around for too long. I do hope so.

Oh someone send someone a box of chocolates and some flowers, whoever was pissed off at who, and just get Caroline back !!!! I'm five minutes away from staging a protest with placards outside the BBC !! Any suggestions for what the chant should be.
  • Fieldmouse83Fieldmouse83 Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh someone send someone a box of chocolates and some flowers, whoever was pissed off at who, and just get Caroline back !!!! I'm five minutes away from staging a protest with placards outside the BBC !!

My god that sounds EXACTLY like something Maddie would say! :D
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its certainly looking that way, but even if she did annoy either the writer or Alan, how bad could it have been to hold a grudge for this long. Did she leave them in the lurch when she left originally, were they pissed off with that. Who knows. I quite liked the episodes with Julia Sawalha, even though they could never be a patch on the Caroline years. It lost me when Sheridan Smith got involved, lovely girl, great actress, but just not for Jonathan Creek.

As for this current state of affairs where they have him married to someone not particularly likable at all, well who knows. Maybe thats the best clue we have that wifey won't be around for too long. I do hope so.

Oh someone send someone a box of chocolates and some flowers, whoever was pissed off at who, and just get Caroline back !!!! I'm five minutes away from staging a protest with placards outside the BBC !! Any suggestions for what the chant should be.

A bit about it here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/jonathancreek/episodeguide/satanschimney.shtml
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »

So it seems she wanted time off to try for a baby, Fair enough, She is entitled to do that.

But they are just as entitled to say they moved on and don't see a part for her in the show any more.

A shame if that is how it is. No one is in the wrong as such, But the lines of communication seem closed
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've designed my placard - I'm ready to go! :D i also want to protest for the windmill to come back! i'm growing my hair like Jonathan's now... just need to get his duffel coat for my birthday! it's only a few weeks away ;-)

I actually look back and watch some Series 4 episodes, and find Carla quite funny. I think I was a bit harsh before... Jonathan/Maddie days are still the best for me, but I do think Julia was good in the role as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mikey_C wrote: »
    In case you missed it..

David Tennant?

Oh, please, no. He's not playing a swivel-eyed loonie is he, by any chance?