The Ratings Thread (Part 59)

Comments

• SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Poldark isn't niche. It was never niche. It was mainstream costume drama. The problem I have with it is relevance.
    It's set in 1783 with a romantic storyline as a key element to the show. Besides the launch which inevitably rates well for most BBC1 dramas, I cant see it holding onto a big part of its audience for the remaiing 7 episodes. It just doesnt have that mainstream appeal to it in my honest opinion. For brand new dramas, I have a list of 15 categories which I tick in order to see if ratings will be maximised. Not many are ticked for Poldark:

- Crime drama: nil
    - Rural setting: tick
    - Simple storylines: nil
    - Famous actor in the lead role: nil
    - Good scenery: tick
    - Self contained episodes: nil
    - No swearing: don't know
    - No sex: nil
    - No gore: tick
    - No violence: don't know
    - easy to understand English: nil
    - Lighteness in the brightness [i.e. not dark]: tick
    - No shaking camera affect: not sure
    - Light touches of comedy moments: nil
    - Ensemble cast: nil

Not many categories are ticked. For shows like Death in Paradise, Broadchurch, Downton Abbey, Call The Midwife, New tricks etc nearly of those categories are indeed ticked and that helps them get the big ratings. You need as many ticks in those categories in order for ratings to be maximised but Poldark has less than 50pct so Im not very confident about its ratings chances.
  • ryan_burnryan_burn Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    Louis walsh has confirmed he will be returning to the x factor this series, that will knock another couple of million of the ratings,
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ryan_burn wrote: »
    Louis walsh has confirmed he will be returning to the x factor this series, that will knock another couple of million of the ratings,
    Louis does this every year. He always returns to The X Factor.
    Forum Member
    Online sources are saying the Dancing Granny on BGT has been reinstated. She feels up to it to perform tomorrow. A relief for the producers as she created the most buzz during the auditions stage among viewers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    I hope Poldark doesnt get the post-Call The Midwife slot, it sounds a bit niche and non-mainstream to me. What needs to air after Call The Midwife instead of those edgy dark dramas like Ripper Street/Musketeers, is a simple crime procedural drama with nice scenery. This would get a good audience after CTM. We dont need stuff like Poldark or Ripper Street after CTM, it doesnt appeal to the mainstream and always underdelivers in such a key slot.

Poldark was a mainstream hit in its original run, might be better suited to follow Midwife. God knows The Musketeers wasn't.
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    DigiGuide today has confirmed all of the above provisionally.

But not the above. Instead, we have:

Thursday 19th June
    16:30 - World Cup 2014: Colombia vs Ivory Coast
    19:05 - BBC News
    19:35 - BBC Regional News
    20:00 - Holby City
    21:00 - Celebrity Masterchef
    22:00 - BBC News
    22:35 to 01:10 - World Cup 2014: Japan vs Greece

Friday 20th June
    16:00 - World Cup 2014: Italy vs Costa Rica
    19:10 - BBC News
    19:35 - BBC Regional News
    20:00 - EastEnders
    20:30 - Celebrity Masterchef
    22:00 - BBC News

Very surprised to see BBC throwing a competitive line-up against the first England match!

The lowest rating Holby City has recorded (since at least 2006) is 3.47m (13.4%) at 19:30 on 19/06/2012 - against England vs Ukraine.

Over on ITV...
    Hour long build ups to afternoon matches.on the BBC as well then - I guess both the BBC and ITV will use that time for highlights of the previous days games during the build up. Interesting too that like ITV the BBC won't be scheduling the news afterwards on the hour - even in the knowledge it would run late. Indeed with possible drinks breaks of three minutes in each half that will push the final whistle later than normal for some games.
    LOL. How he keeps getting re-employed is one of the great mysteries of TV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Breaking news in the US that chairman Kevin Reilly is stepping down at Fox; http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/05/29/kevin-reilly-steps-down-as-chairman-entertainment-fox-broadcasting-company/268708/

Unsurprising given probably the worst season in Fox's history has just finished, certainly a case of jumped before he was pushed.

No surprise. Fox is in a mess. He can't find hits and kept bringing back shows past their sell by date to ever dwindling ratings.

Without American Idol to help them Fox are nothing.
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Online sources are saying the Dancing Granny on BGT has been reinstated. She feels up to it to perform tomorrow. A relief for the producers as she created the most buzz during the auditions stage among viewers.

In other words BGT Forum, via Amanda Holden
    Forum Member
    In other words BGT Forum, via Amanda Holden
    No, Mark Jefferies on twitter.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Louis does this every year. He always returns to The X Factor.
    Brekkie wrote: »
    LOL. How he keeps getting re-employed is one of the great mysteries of TV.

I do think its time for The X Factor to move forward and to ditch Louis Walsh as a judge. He was entertaining at XF's peak but he has ran out of steam now and I think he should be replaced now with someone like Lily Allen or Robbie Williams. He's the only judge to have stayed on for a whole ten series and there's nothing new he can offer now.

I honestly think a Simon Cowell, Sinitta, Lily Allen and Cheryl Cole judging panel would give the show big amounts of publicity and drama and put the show back on the massive ratings map again.
  • Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member

BGT's Facebook page have officially confirmed her return.

Maybe the final will do better now Samuel ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    I do think its time for The X Factor to move forward and to ditch Louis Walsh as a judge. He was entertaining at XF's peak but he has ran out of steam now and I think he should be replaced now with someone like Lily Allen or Robbie Williams. He's the only judge to have stayed on for a whole ten series and there's nothing new he can offer now.

I honestly think a Simon Cowell, Sinitta, Lily Allen and Cheryl Cole judging panel would give the show big amounts of publicity and drama and put the show back on the massive ratings map again.

Sinitta on the panel would just turn it into even more of a laughing stock. I actually think she'd be quite good in all honesty, but giving her that role would generate a lot of negative PR.

I do think they should've dropped Louis whilst Nicole was on the panel, and kept Nicole on at any cost, whether Cheryl liked it or not. Nicole had the ability to play the 'idiot' role (see Rylan) whilst retaining her credibility as a judge, and thats extremely rare to come across. That way they wouldn't lose the publicity angle, but would make a stronger panel too.
  • burbeburbe Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No way is Sinitta ever going to be on the panel. Lily Allen and Cheryl Cole hate each other, so not gonna happen.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For anyone wondering - there should be an overnight rating for Froch vs Groves II on Sunday morning. :)
  • FuddFudd Posts: 167,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last thing they need to do to The X Factor now is upset the applecart unnecessarily. They know Louis works well with Simon which is key at this stage; part of the issue with the American version was they couldn't find anyone with that connection. The show has been leaking viewers since the massive revamp of series 8 - now is not the time to start taking risks. Stabilise the show then they can look at the panel again.
  • tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JFoster1 wrote: »
    Sinitta on the panel would just turn it into even more of a laughing stock. I actually think she'd be quite good in all honesty, but giving her that role would generate a lot of negative PR.

I do think they should've dropped Louis whilst Nicole was on the panel, and kept Nicole on at any cost, whether Cheryl liked it or not. Nicole had the ability to play the 'idiot' role (see Rylan) whilst retaining her credibility as a judge, and thats extremely rare to come across. That way they wouldn't lose the publicity angle, but would make a stronger panel too.
    Nicole was the reason that I turned off last year. What a shallow annoying woman. Give me Louis anyday.
    Forum Member
    the show will use walsh as they always do to create controversy and tension to try and boost the ratings, remember the whole deadlock, gary barlow walkout, that all came from walsh he's like the guinea pig on the panel, he'll do anything for his fee!
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,630
    Forum Member
    Cowell is reported to love Louis being included in the X Factor panel. It is likely his decision that Walsh had remained even if the audience are tired of him
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Poldark isn't niche. It was never niche. It was mainstream costume drama. The problem I have with it is relevance.

Why is it any less relevant than any other costume drama?
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burbe wrote: »
    No way is Sinitta ever going to be on the panel. Lily Allen and Cheryl Cole hate each other, so not gonna happen.
    Sinitta will get on the panel when it moves to C5 I'm sure. :) In all seriousness she'd be a better choice now than many of those mentioned. It's a real shame Cheryl's return has meant Nicole has been ousted as they'll struggle to find anyone better than her. Indeed I think taking it back to three and having Simon, Nicole and Louis could have worked - it happened for auditions and boot camp in Simon's final year and they worked really well - and IMO that's the only panel I could see Louis working in.

D.M.N. - do you have a rating for the first fight between them - I can't seem to find anything.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    JFoster1 wrote: »

She works better as the assistant to Simon/Louis in the judges' houses. Not overly exposed; she can't carry the show like a Cheryl Cole, but still has her moments in the spotlight.
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Is Broadchurch the only programme on ITV that actually has most of this thread watching?

Confession time - I actually did not watch it out. I packed in after a few episodes as it seemd like every other crime drama to me. But I am going to watch it on Encore now and am interested to see the US version because the trailer actually looks good.
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,630
    Forum Member
    It looks like the soap ratings wil get blitzed by the World Cup over the summer. The competition is gonna be too much for them than it was a few years back. September is gonna be when the three main soaps get a chance to regain control of the television audience or perhaps it may make viewers let go of the habit completely.

Friday the 20th leaves "EastEnders" very exposed at 8pm to bad figures.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    They may do that in the second week if he is still in the French Open, It can get the nice ABC1, Men and casual audience that ITV doesn't usually get at the timeslot.
    Is Murray fit enough to progress far in the tournament? Not convinced myself.

Stoked for the Rugby Union final tomorrow. Come on Saints! Hopefully rate nicely for BT.
    Forum Member
    itv should appreciate their big week of the year in terms of ratings as it is back to earth with a bump next week, with secret life of babies/cats, soccer aid countdown and a ryan giggs documentary making up primetime, will any of them rate over 2.5 million?one doubts.
This discussion has been closed.