Options

Turned away from cinema

fleabeefleabee Posts: 1,852
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am a bit surprised at this, surely it can't be true.

White people turned away from a cinema because it was only open for Muslims.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/vue-apologises-after-families-barred-3943677

Comments

• Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Damn muslims even taking over our British cinemas these days!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe it, I am sure it's made up. No cinema or similar venue would be so silly as to do that.
  • Options
    FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fleabee wrote: »
    I am a bit surprised at this, surely it can't be true.

Doesn't surprise me, if it was the other way round they would be crying like little spoilt girls. At least they say there is gong to be an investigation.

Not sure where the racism comes in as being a Muslim is a religion not a race.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finglonga wrote: »
    Doesn't surprise me, if it was the other way round they would be crying like little spoilt girls. At least they say there is gong to be an investigation.

I think they are trying to say they are racists against white people. Forgetting that loads of white people in Britain are now Islamists too.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finglonga wrote: »

It sounds like the cinema representative judged him not to be celebrating the festivalbased on his skin colour though.

Or it could be classed as religious discrimination, either way it's discrimination.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Imagine if the security guard had said "we're not letting any blacks, homosexuals, women in," there'd be an outcry. Discrimination is discrimination. I wouldn't be surprised if this was dropped because everyone is scared to say no to Muslims lately.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    The way I read it was a group of white lads drove into the car park and the first security guard told them "families and couples only tonight", they thought he was joking so carried on and parked up. When they tried to enter the cinema another security stopped them and told them the same thing. When one of them pointed to a group of asian lads entering the cinema saying "well they're not a family or couple" they were then told it was for muslims only celebrating the end of Ramadan.

So first off they were stopped because they were white, and then presumed they weren't muslim. So the cinema's managed to tick off quite a few boxes. On my FB this morning there was quite a few people complaining about this.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Imagine if the security guard had said "we're not letting any blacks, homosexuals, women in," there'd be an outcry. Discrimination is discrimination. I wouldn't be surprised if this was dropped because everyone is scared to say no to Muslims lately.

But it wasn't Muslims who turned him away. It was the security guard on the advice of the staff. Vue is investigating so it'll be interesting to see how this came about.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Imagine if the security guard had said "we're not letting any blacks, homosexuals, women in," there'd be an outcry.
    And there isn't an outcry now? :)
    Discrimination is discrimination. I wouldn't be surprised if this was dropped because everyone is scared to say no to Muslims lately.
    Of course it's discrimination, if that's what happened. However it's unlikely the ban had anything to do with Muslims.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like an overzealous security officer making their own rules up and it's not company policy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Nah I don't think it is true because why would you need to excluded from a cinema for not being islamic. When the cinema is probably showing something that islam would consider vile?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well lets hope if this is true, and there seems to be a lot of people saying the same thing, I hope their heavily fined, just the same as if they told non christians that they can't enter because it's Christmas, but I won't hold my breath.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    But it wasn't Muslims who turned him away. It was the security guard on the advice of the staff. Vue is investigating so it'll be interesting to see how this came about.
    Why are you ignoring the obvious,, unless of course you do not see this type of discrimination in your area, its very noticeable that the police has not been involved in this illegal discrimination against non-Muslims
    :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ecckles wrote: »
    Why are you ignoring the obvious,, unless of course you do not see this type of discrimination in your area, its very noticeable that the police has not been involved in this illegal discrimination against non-Muslims
    :o

Why would the police be involved in a civil matter?
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Were there no white people there at all? Surely this group of lads couldn't have been the only white people trying to get to the cinema that night?
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't believe it, I am sure it's made up. No cinema or similar venue would be so silly as to do that.

You could be right:
    Star City said they were not aware of any of incidents of people being turned away on ground of religion taking place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^^Because you can bet your "bottom dollar" had this been the other way around, they would of called the police, and the police would of turned up.

That's if its true of course.

And it's a racisim crime, so thats criminal, apparently as long as your not white!!
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this is a case of major communication failure. Clearly Muslims are not preventing non muslims from entering. I think the Vue staff have completely misunderstood the brief. They must have done because what has allegedly happened is completely illegal!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member

I don't believe it either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^^ Well I would assume it wasn't a directive sent down from the powers, but a miss communication. But anyhow, if it happened, lets hope they get fined.
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Then why have Vue issued an apology? Only in Britain could British people be discriminated against because they don't follow the dictates of a foreign religion.
    Vue should have their license pulled -never mind an internal investigation. The authorities should be involved here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Authorities and the police
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    Then why have Vue issued an apology? Only in Britain could British people be discriminated against because they don't follow the dictates of a foreign religion.
    Vue should have their license pulled -never mind an internal investigation. The authorities should be involved here.

Why? It's not company policy, it would be stupid to pull the licence because of a security guard.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    I bet there were no hot-dogs either. >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    academia wrote: »
    You're getting a bit carried away there! This sounds like a single mistake by an over-zealous security guard. As far as we know, no religion has "dictated" what happened. It could have happened anywhere.
    Is there any real need for that?