Options

XF's Rough Copy AXED from record label after debut single doesnt make top 100

SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
Forum Member
X Factor: Rough Copy aXed by Epic Records after debut single FLOP!
Rough Copy’s professional career has been FAR from smooth, and things have only gone and got worse.

The former X Factor band have been dropped by their record label after their debut single flopped like there was no tomorrow.

To begin with, the lads auditioned for The X Factor back in 2012, but when they got through to judges’ houses, it became clear that Ajobe couldn’t get his visa processed in time before they were due to fly out to Las Vegas.

They returned in 2013 and encountered the exact same problem when they were meant to join Gary Barlow at his judges house. Both Ramsey and James decided to carry on without Ajobe, but when they made it through to the live shows, Gary Barlow vowed he would do everything he could to reinstate the band as a threesome, rather than a duo.

They ended up making it through to the semi-finals before being sent home, and at the time, they did seem like an exciting band, but they were managed all wrong.

Their debut single was a cheesy spin on the 1986 hit single ‘Sweet Love’. They renamed it to ‘Street Love’, and it flopped.

According to The Sun, the single didn’t even make the Top 100 as it sold that few copies.

An insider said: “Epic were clearly unhappy with how the single had performed. It was expected to chart in the Top 10 considering the platform they had been given through The X Factor. Both sides are insisting it was an amicable and mutual split”.
http://www.*******************/x-factor/x-factor-rough-copy-axed-epic-records-debut-single-flop/

Comments

• Options
    RabidWolverine1RabidWolverine1 Posts: 8,137
    Forum Member
    I didn't even know they were releasing anything :confused:

Shame I kinda liked them
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    Didn't even know they had a single out, that pretty much sums it up.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Single didn't seem to get any promotion so what did they really expect.

Shame as I think they have potential but the show had no idea what to do with them. They had a couple of songs on youtube which were far, far superior to the weak single they put out
  • Options
    ThiswillbefunThiswillbefun Posts: 10,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How is a single supposed to sell without any promotion or airplay? It all sounds like an excuse to get rid.
  • Options
    mmpfbmmpfb Posts: 14,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How is a single supposed to sell without any promotion or airplay? It all sounds like an excuse to get rid.

To be fair it had both a lyric video and a proper video. I'm not sure what the record company can do if radio don't play list something.
  • Options
    Chippy ChipsChippy Chips Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As others have mentioned, I had no idea they were releasing anything.

In fact, the only time I've really seen them since they were on the show is a few weeks ago when two of them popped up backstage on Xtra Factor.

Anyway, they're not the first X Factor product to completely flop, and certainly won't be the last.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    this is no surprise, they were SO over rated last year.
    i never saw them selling. and still dont.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »

Totally agree.
  • Options
    ZeraseZerase Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    Didn't one of them get thrown off the X Factor tour for violence? That type of publicity is unlikely to help.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pity they could have been great with the right song and support
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unsurprising.
  • Options
    KikiDafuqKikiDafuq Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    One of them looked kind of miserable all the time, one had a criminal record and the third member looked like a cheesy 1980s throwback. Was never gonna happen for them.
  • Options
    CMcKinleyCMcKinley Posts: 3,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Man that's rough.
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    X Factor: Rough Copy aXed by Epic Records after debut single FLOP!

http://www.*******************/x-factor/x-factor-rough-copy-axed-epic-records-debut-single-flop/

Link don't work.
  • Options
    NicoleRichNicoleRich Posts: 2,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A wasted opportunity. I think JLS's demise had something to do with the labels faith in them.
  • Options
    Nobby BurtonNobby Burton Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were hideously overrated last year
  • Options
    RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a shame.

They were my favourites last year. Could have been great with the right support and style.
  • Options
    String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just Lol! I blame whoever signed them, so over-rated.
  • Options
    earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have a horrible sound (and if we believe the rumours during the XF tour, a horrible attitude). Good riddance
  • Options
    09beyoncefan09beyoncefan Posts: 2,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »
    Agree completely. Most weeks I found them to be terrible, at best they were horrendously average. It's a travesty they lasted longer than Hannah, Tamera and a few others. They're actually probably my least favourite group on XF ever except maybe the horrendous Overload from this year.