The Ratings Thread (Part 62)

Comments

• SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    I have an idea for a format.

What about a show where contestants have to complete a full course of obstacles across country, across rivers (creating rafts in a group), over hills, under bridges etc.

A team work reality show
    Interesting you mention a format like this. Today on Australia's most watch television network, Channel 7, they launched a major new reality show format called The Big Adventure, which challenges 12 Aussies to compete in extreme conditions on an Island near Fiji for a $1 million grand prize.

The show is a reality TV mash-up of sorts, blending elements of Survivor, The Mole, Big Brother and Wipe Out. Living on a secluded tropical island, the contestants must compete in challenges on a floating grid called the "sky rig" to get closer to the $1 million guarded under lock and key.

"When it was pitched to me I thought The Hunger Games instantly," presenter Jason Dundas said.

"They have to live on this island and forge relationships. Each day they have to work in teams and then they have to turn on each other. You need to use everything you have (to win), from your smarts to your strength and your ability to make relationships."

The large cash prize will bring out the best and worst in the contestants, said Dundas.

"It's a prize that is going to make people want to fight and make them push their bodies to the limit. It's fascinating to watch how people's true colours shine in certain situations. The snake in the grass will emerge. It's a tremendous struggle for a lot of them. They're in that situation where they have to make a call and look at what they're playing for."

Promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msQNUGONyYg

---
    Is it time for a tv channel here in the UK to revisit a Survivor type of format involving members of the public?
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    D.M.N. - do you have the breakdown for Stand Up to Cancer excluding +1, please? :)

I'm afraid not, sorry.
  • Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Interesting you mention a format like this. Today on Australia's most watch television network, Channel 7, they launched a major new reality show format called The Big Adventure, which challenges 12 Aussies to compete in extreme conditions on an Island near Fiji for a $1 million grand prize.

The show is a reality TV mash-up of sorts, blending elements of Survivor, The Mole, Big Brother and Wipe Out. Living on a secluded tropical island, the contestants must compete in challenges on a floating grid called the "sky rig" to get closer to the $1 million guarded under lock and key.

"When it was pitched to me I thought The Hunger Games instantly," presenter Jason Dundas said.

"They have to live on this island and forge relationships. Each day they have to work in teams and then they have to turn on each other. You need to use everything you have (to win), from your smarts to your strength and your ability to make relationships."

The large cash prize will bring out the best and worst in the contestants, said Dundas.

"It's a prize that is going to make people want to fight and make them push their bodies to the limit. It's fascinating to watch how people's true colours shine in certain situations. The snake in the grass will emerge. It's a tremendous struggle for a lot of them. They're in that situation where they have to make a call and look at what they're playing for."

Promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msQNUGONyYg
    ---
    Is it time for a tv channel here in the UK to revisit a Survivor type of format involving members of the public?
    Don't see why C4 couldn't develop 'The Island with Bear Grylls' into something more structured like that.
    Forum Member
    iaindb wrote: »
    Imagine if, when Great British Bake-Off had started in 2010, somebody has posted "One day this programme will attract over 13m viewers". They'd have been taken away in a strait-jacket.:D

Which is a big part of why GBBO's success is so wonderful :)
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channel 5 movies may do well today.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stand Up To Cancer Exc +1 from 7pm to 2am, 15 minute breakdown...

• iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    Quite, it's by no means guaranteed to work like that, so it'd be a hell of a risk to take on a show which already gets ratings that are distinctly 'meh' for the amount of money spent on it.

What about the amount of money Doctor Who makes in overseas sales and merchandising?

7m is not a "meh" audience however much money they spend on it.
    Forum Member
    iaindb wrote: »
    What about the amount of money Doctor Who makes in overseas sales and merchandising?

7m is not a "meh" audience however much money they spend on it.

At the moment I'd say that the export and merchandising value is the main reason DW's continued recomission isn't questioned - but somewhere there has to be a line that the ratings can't drop below before those factors start not being enough. For me that'd be 5.5m, so if you wipe 1m off the 7m series average by shifting the broadcast to Sundays then all of a sudden it hasn't got much further to fall.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im a Celebrity is such a predictable format with no innovation, the audience are surely going to get bored of it sometime soon? I can predict exactly what will happen right now:

Quite ironic you complaining about how predictable I'm a Celeb is, but then praising the likes of Strictly which is exactly the same predictable format each year, same type of dancers, same judges comments, but apparently that is a benefit to that show and viewers aren't bored of that yet. In fact you regularly point out that this type of safe programming is good as it brings in the OAPs and you often say it should be extended. If I'm a Celeb was on BBC1 you'd be wanting it extending to 4 weeks and deliberately scheduled head to head with anything worth crushing.

I can just see how annoyed you are that ITV actually has a hit show that is showing no sign of declining.

Glenn has been predicting the end of this show since he joined this forum and it's now an annual tradition, it'll be in trouble when the tabloids stop going on about it, and then it'll move to Channel 5 only watched by die hard viewers. :D
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    I'm afraid not, sorry.

No problem, thanks. :)
    C14E wrote: »
    Stand Up To Cancer Exc +1 from 7pm to 2am, 15 minute breakdown...

Brilliant - thanks C14E. :)
  • Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What about a show where contestants have to complete a full course of obstacles across country, across rivers (creating rafts in a group), over hills, under bridges etc.

A team work reality show

There was a similar sort of show some years ago, It was called

Now get out of that http://www.ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Now_Get_Out_of_That

And features many of the elements you mention above with university students (I think) competing against each other.
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    There used to be a show where teams had to do stuff like that but I cant think what it was. Anybody any ideas?

Is it the one I mentioned above.

I really feel old remembering that. :D
  • ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was that?

I think my idea might be similar to Bear Grylls new ITV reality show Celeb Survivor

Good this genome thingy.

I thought your idea sounded familiar, from 1984 Now Get Out of That.

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/76940cdd512847bfb7f084fe079d1b5f

Jules beat me to it.:)
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Channel 5 movies may do well today.

Any particular reason why they've dumped Spider-Man 3 at lunchtime and put Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves at 21:00? I personally would have swapped those.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sunday Night at the Palladium will be returning on ITV in the New Year.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    It took Tennant until Voyage Of The Damned to be a consistently high rated Doctor. He was flying from that moment with ratings. Capaldi has a good run of episodes but there is something about it that stops it crossing into the mainstream.

Well I have to say I hadn't heard of Tennant before Dr Who and I had my doubts because Ecclestone had launched it so brilliantly imo. Tennant was a rock star-I don't think anyone has flown the flag for Who outside the show better than DT. His NTA speeches are legendary and he really lived the role. Not easy for Capaldi to follow Tennant and Smith but ratings are not falling off a cliff.

Voyage of the Damned seems to be generally unliked in Who circles (well on DS anyway). I think that's unfair-it was brilliant entertainment on a special day and the rating speaks for itself.
  • AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A team work reality show
    Is this not effectively The Amazing Race just isolated to one country?
    No.

If a UK broadcaster is willing to spend the kind of money they'd need to for a format like this I'd much prefer they went for something like The Amazing Race instead.
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    At the moment I'd say that the export and merchandising value is the main reason DW's continued recomission isn't questioned - but somewhere there has to be a line that the ratings can't drop below before those factors start not being enough. For me that'd be 5.5m, so if you wipe 1m off the 7m series average by shifting the broadcast to Sundays then all of a sudden it hasn't got much further to fall.
    Although presumably when we look at the BBC+7 figures Doctor Who's actually higher than 7 million at this point. Have we had any iPlayer stats released for series 8 yet?
    Forum Member
    Sunday Night at the Palladium will be returning on ITV in the New Year.
    Source? The ratings for it were down from Surprise Surprise in the same slot last year, it's a weak show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Any particular reason why they've dumped Spider-Man 3 at lunchtime and put Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves at 21:00? I personally would have swapped those.
    Those are two pretty awful films...

Presumably they felt Spider-man 3 would do better at catching a family audience earlier in the day than Prince of Thieves? Which is probably a good call.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Source? The ratings for it were down from Surprise Surprise in the same slot last year, it's a weak show.
    I assume it was just announced on ITV...(?)

Back in the new year has the ring of a continuity announcement about it.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlexiR wrote: »

They might try doing it live next time (if there is a next time) as they did with the original show.
    Forum Member
    Why has it been renewed? The ratings it has been getting have been low considering it has had the XF lead out. Almost a million lower than what Surprise Surprise was getting in that slot [except last week's post football inflated rating].
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest I think The Big Fish Off will get battered.

I'll get my coat. :blush:

:D:D

I bet Louis Walsh will be a judge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why has it been renewed? The ratings it has been getting have been low considering it has had the XF lead out. Almost a million lower than what Surprise Surprise was getting in that slot [except last week's post football inflated rating].
    Not being an employee of ITV its hard to say (don't you have some sources you could ask?).

If its been renewed I assume they feel its a format that has enough legs to justify another run and that perhaps scheduled away from Strictly can be a solid enough performer for them. They're probably not entirely wrong on that either. They're going to need something to air in Q2 on Sunday nights as well since presumably dead air isn't an option.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Q
    I can just see how annoyed you are that ITV actually has a hit show that is showing no sign of declining.

Glenn has been predicting the end of this show since he joined this forum and it's now an annual tradition, it'll be in trouble when the tabloids stop going on about it, and then it'll move to Channel 5 only watched by die hard viewers. :D

To be presented by Alan Carr no doubt. That will scare off the crocodiles :)
    Forum Member
    Not being an employee of ITV its hard to say (don't you have some sources you could ask?).

If its been renewed I assume they feel its a format that has enough legs to justify another run and that perhaps scheduled away from Strictly can be a solid enough performer for them. They're probably not entirely wrong on that either. They're going to need something to air in Q2 on Sunday nights as well since presumably dead air isn't an option.
    But it was only getting 4.1m when not against SCD a few weeks ago with an XF lead-out. Next year if it doesnt have an XF lead-out to boost its final 15mins, it will dip into the 3's, which would be very bad. That's not the definition of a solid performer on a Sunday night at 7pm.
This discussion has been closed.