Options

BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Options
    jimthelad72jimthelad72 Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    chandlerp wrote: »
    I get the feeling the bagman is getting a bit fed up of The Ego.

This morning gave us this exchange:

Rachel: "Five Live Breakfast, it's 8:23"

Nicky: "Right, what time is it?"

George:"Rachel just told you"

Nicky:"Did she?"

George:"Yes, about ten seconds ago"

Nicky:"So what time is it?"

George:"Same as it was ten seconds ago, 8:23. Five Live Breakfast with Nicky and Rachel"

Haha I think a lot of people are fed up with the ego. I prefer it when he's not on.
  • Options
    oakley44oakley44 Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    chandlerp wrote: »
    I get the feeling the bagman is getting a bit fed up of The Ego.

This morning gave us this exchange:

Rachel: "Five Live Breakfast, it's 8:23"

Nicky: "Right, what time is it?"

George:"Rachel just told you"

Nicky:"Did she?"

George:"Yes, about ten seconds ago"

Nicky:"So what time is it?"

George:"Same as it was ten seconds ago, 8:23. Five Live Breakfast with Nicky and Rachel"
    I actually thought the same as he returned to the airwaves. Rachel has taken a senior role in his absence and continues it on his return, even interviewing Miliband. Riley is definitely fed up. Ego is forced to turn to Meeeeshell as he calls her, as the only one who will laugh at his quips.
    Rachel's voice means my lovely DAB radio is pointless, her voice is like listening to the radio through a thick fleece blanket. In fact I hate the programme. Time for a change. How about Dan Walker and his sidekick - oh, maybe not.
  • Options
    radiotunerradiotuner Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    I do like Rachel and I agree she does seem to coming more into the fore. For me, that's a really good thing.

I wonder if Rachel will form part of the presentation team for the forthcoming election, like she did for the previous big programmes. I suspect in the BBC it is a big feather in your cap to be asked to present such an important programme. If she is, I bet The Ego will be miffed.

I have no problem with her voice, she seems a very down to earth woman who shares her life with us and there doesn't seem to be any edge to her. She is also a very good interviewer and can ask hard questions when they are needed.

I really rate her.
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    radiotuner wrote: »
    As we enter 2015, here are the next twelve months on Five Live:
    Absolutely brilliant post! :D
  • Options
    superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Phil Williams announced last night that if listeners were wondering why "Phils 5" was not on, it would not be returning for the foreseeable future. I have never seen the point of that awful boring quiz, which seemed to be put on so that Phil could preen himself as to how clever he was in making up the questions.

He had excellent Robin? Reid, the estate agent on as a guest last night and he got about half an hour, (allowing for c*ap adverts and the news) instead of the usual 10 minutes he previously allowed him.

Unfortunately, he announced that they would be bringing a new "exciting" spot, which would include social media, so I dread to think what that will be like.
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fingers scraped down a chalkboard irritate me less than Sarah Brett's voice
  • Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Williams announced last night that if listeners were wondering why "Phils 5" was not on, it would not be returning for the foreseeable future. I have never seen the point of that awful boring quiz

Unfortunately, he announced that they would be bringing a new "exciting" spot, which would include social media, so I dread to think what that will be like.

*sigh* :(:(:(
  • Options
    Billy_BoyBilly_Boy Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    I agree about Rachel's voice. I have good DAB reception but she comes through muffled and totally indistinct. Not good for radio!
  • Options
    streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Sarah 'thanks a million' Brett was struggling as usual yesterday with the Paris attack news and resorted to VD questioning 'how does it make you feel?' and faux sympathetic voice.
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarah 'thanks a million' Brett was struggling as usual yesterday with the Paris attack news and resorted to VD questioning 'how does it make you feel?' and faux sympathetic voice.

Yep. For a moment I did in fact the misery madam was back.
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you listen closely enough, I'll swear you can hear her brain clunking as she thinks of what question to ask next.
  • Options
    superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member

The 5 live women are trained that way. Anna "haha" Foster came out with it on Drive tonight, "How does it make you feel, seeing all those armed police?" I can't recall any male presenters using that question.
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do hope lordloz is watching Question Time tonight...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    I do hope lordloz is watching Question Time tonight...

thank you Robbie.... I am indeed.... happy days.... JHB on screen......LBC's loss is my gain.. ! ;-);-);-)

i unfortunately flicked onto shelagh foghorn her replacement this afternoon very briefly and it was very very dull...zzzzzzz over to BBC London
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    Absolutely brilliant post! :D

Seconded..... bloody brilliant. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QT extra a dream again.....Mr JP on his own and doing very well without blustering interference.... bliss.... :)
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fingers scraped down a chalkboard irritate me less than Sarah Brett's voice

Sadly she has the same affect on me. I gave her a chance but just couldn't get used to her voice. I now rarely listen to R5L in the afternoon

However, I don't have a problem with Rachel's voice.
  • Options
    hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Billy_Boy wrote: »
    I agree about Rachel's voice. I have good DAB reception but she comes through muffled and totally indistinct. Not good for radio!

In addition to the husky voice, she lacks modulation, and her one tone delivery is similar to Kirk in Coronation Street.
  • Options
    binbits01binbits01 Posts: 55,495
    Forum Member
    The Nolan Show is a much nicer listen for me tonight, with Clare McDonnell presenting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I like football but I can't stand those 'Where football...lives' promos they play every break. Irritating beyond belief.
  • Options
    RedunitedRedunited Posts: 1,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC news special yawn it's getting boring now. Move on.
  • Options
    Radio_fanRadio_fan Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Clare McDonnell did a brilliant job on such a busy news weekend. She probably let Bishop Lowe rant on too much, but I hope she will cover for Nolan again. So much better than Dotun last weekend. Even her interview at 11.30 p.m. last night was so much less sycophantic and sensation seeking than if Nolan had done it.

I couldn't bear Rachel Burden's voice at first, but now it doesn't bother me because I think she is a good journalist and very down to earth, standing no nonsense from NC.

I missed that about Phil's Fives being abandoned. Hooray! It was ridiculous the way it came in the middle of an hour with an expert and they had to wait for it to be over.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Phil Williams announced last night that if listeners were wondering why "Phils 5" was not on, it would not be returning for the foreseeable future. I have never seen the point of that awful boring quiz, which seemed to be put on so that Phil could preen himself as to how clever he was in making up the questions.

He had excellent Robin? Reid, the estate agent on as a guest last night and he got about half an hour, (allowing for c*ap adverts and the news) instead of the usual 10 minutes he previously allowed him.

Same when Tim O'Brien is on to talk space, he gets about 15 minutes. Give the guest the hour.

Oh and thank god that woman didn't will the goal of the season, all the Radio 5 hens have been clucking away about it today. Next it will be schoolboy football up for it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Same when Tim O'Brien is on to talk space, he gets about 15 minutes. Give the guest the hour.

Oh and thank god that woman didn't will the goal of the season, all the Radio 5 hens have been clucking away about it today. Next it will be schoolboy football up for it.

Agreed about the Irishwoman. It would have been farcical if she had won it. I'm surprised Five live haven't had someone on saying that none of the nominees were black.

What's all this stuff about Rachel. She has a great voice and is an excellent broadcaster
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clare McDonnell did a brilliant job on such a busy news weekend. She probably let Bishop Lowe rant on too much, but I hope she will cover for Nolan again. So much better than Dotun last weekend. Even her interview at 11.30 p.m. last night was so much less sycophantic and sensation seeking than if Nolan had done it.

It never ceases to amaze me how the Bishop is allowed to rant on as he does. He's always shouting Charlie Wolf down & the presenter never stops him !

On another subject, I'm afraid Adrian Chiles is back into VD's misery hour format this morning, talking about Kate Gross, an ex aid of Tony Blair & Gordon Brown., who's died of cancer.

I know it's very sad, but they are going on about it at great length ! I wonder if it would have got as much coverage if she'd been an aid to a Tory Prime Minister ?
This discussion has been closed.