Frankie Boyle Comeback Axed

2»

Comments

• Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JazzyJaney wrote: »
    I'm talking long term. The BBC are seemingly getting rid of openly left wing comedians, the axing of 'Ambassadors' and 'Blocked' has been entirely politically motivated that's my problem. The BBC shouldn't be taking these things into account.

Most of the Leftie ones can be completely unfunny often by having to bring politics into things for no good reasons. Jo Brand mentioned UKIP on QI last week, absolutely completely irrelevant to what they were talking about. And of course they keep coming up with that really originally joke, mispronouncing 'Farage'. (No I am not a UKIP supporter and hate Farage, just that it is getting very boring hearing Lefties say his name incorrectly).

I stopped listening to Radio 4's News Quiz because of a couple of the regular panellists doing unfunny Leftie 'jokes'.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Boyle pissed his chips a long time ago, like Dapper Laughs.

People like that get five minutes of fame, then everyone realises that when you remove the C and F words from their scripts, there's no actual humour there. At all.

Then they all see through the emperor's new clothes, switch off and leave the 'comedian' to be dropped like a hot stone.

Bring back Phil Cool! Imagine how much he'd be able to stretch his face now he's 114 years old?
    lundavra wrote: »
    Jo Brand mentioned UKIP on QI last week, absolutely completely irrelevant to what they were talking about.
    Careful now. If you say anything disparaging about her, they come around your house and break your right-wing legs before cutting your face with a leftie razor.

Chocolate cake - Go on, laugh! Laugh! If you don't give yourself stitches laughing at Jo Brand mentioning Chocolate cake, you're as bad as Norman Tebbit and should be boiled in oil.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of the Leftie ones can be completely unfunny often by having to bring politics into things for no good reasons. Jo Brand mentioned UKIP on QI last week, absolutely completely irrelevant to what they were talking about. And of course they keep coming up with that really originally joke, mispronouncing 'Farage'. (No I am not a UKIP supporter and hate Farage, just that it is getting very boring hearing Lefties say his name incorrectly).

I stopped listening to Radio 4's News Quiz because of a couple of the regular panellists doing unfunny Leftie 'jokes'.

Not a Jeremy Hardy admirer then? ;-) I like him. Think he's funny.

Not hugely political these days, me. Less of a "Leftie", more of a "Not Rightie", really. It's very confusing.
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm talking long term. The BBC are seemingly getting rid of openly left wing comedians, the axing of 'Ambassadors' and 'Blocked' has been entirely politically motivated that's my problem. The BBC shouldn't be taking these things into account.

There are no other kinds of comedians on TV than left wing ones lol
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    If swearing and ruder humour offends you, then go watch Little House On The Prarie....
    Instead of comments such as "He's just a foul mouthed moron"....
    If you don't like, don't watch, its pretty simple in all honesty!
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member

It takes the pressure off their beloved Millibland.

I do wish "Slebs" wouldn't mention their political leanings. It inevitably turns people off from both sides.
  • Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He still gets his panel show work sure but the BBC keep axing Mitchell and Webb's projects, in a recent interview David said 'It's difficult to get work on the BBC if you're left wing' and I think that's an injustice:

Ambassadors - Axed due to pressure from Prince Andrew allegedly!
    That Mitchell and Webb Look - Axed (yes it ran for a long time but Webb implied they wanted another to do another series and the BBC wouldn't commission it)
    Bleak Old Shop of Stuff - Axed
    Playing Shop - It was going to be a TV Sitcom but was pulled by the BBC
    The Bubble - Axed when David decided to do 10'o clock live on C4
    Even Robert Webb's Movie Mistake type shows were all axed last year. Now he's moved to ITV by the looks of it.

Also Blocked was a great pilot (and people should give it a listen if they haven't heard it) and I'm a passionate Mitchell & Webb fan, and I also think Frankie deserves a chance, his referendum show was great but was only put on the iplayer, they never really gave him a chance! There's no harm in complaining so no need to get so sarcastic guys.

I have a different view...

Ambassadors - No second series, the central joke was running a bit thin towards the end of the first one anyway.
    That Mitchell and Webb Look - Sketch show comedy comes and goes, they did the jokes for the "axed" last TV series as a new radio series anyway.
    Bleak Old Shop of Stuff - Axed. Yep. shame.
    Playing Shop - It was going to be a TV Sitcom but was pulled by the BBC
    The Bubble - Was doomed before it started when the BBC took the bizarre decision not to allow them to use any BBC footage or mock up BBC footage for the faked or real news reports.
    Even Robert Webb's Movie Mistake type shows were all axed last year. Seems bizarre considering how often BBC3 repeat them all.
  • Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back on the title topic. It does seem bizarre how much BBC has been going on about the right to free speech and the implied right to offend considering they are a TV channel who pretty much ended Frankie's TV career for basically saying someone had a big nose.
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Sid Law wrote: »
    Frankie Boyle has actually been on the BBC recently. He appeared on Kevin Bridges Referendum Special which was aired on BBC 1 Scotland in September.

I've been a fan of him for years, but I agree that some of his stuff is cringeworthy.

That said, if you don't like the kind of material a comedian does, don't watch them!

It is for this reason that I never watch anything with Lee Mack in it. Some people think he is great but I personally don't find him even mildly amusing.

Each to one's own.

Indeed. Tramadol was a refreshing boost and the first time I've laughed at anything on TV for ages.

These days it's all "oh you can't say things like that, you'll offend someone".

Well hopefully the fallout from recent events in France have now woken everyone up to the concept that we all have a right to offend and if applicable a similar right to be offended.

Comedy is supposed to be challenging and yes, offensive at times. We've all become frightened to laugh, just in case someone's (somewhere) feeling are hurt.

Frankie is great, it just a shame that the decision-makers are running scared of the twitterati-class. (Twitter has to be the worst thing that has ever happened to social media. Supposedly an outlet for free speech, when actually it's used by PC bullies to stifle it).

As for Mitchell & Web - yawn. They're about as funny as the BBC's other safe duo, Punt & Dennis. I.E. not. (IMHO naturally).
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to Frankie himself...
    @frankieboyle
    Tabloids saying a show I was going to appear in was "axed". I wasn't scheduled to appear in it, and it was broadcast over 7 months ago.
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    Even Robert Webb's Movie Mistake type shows were all axed last year. Seems bizarre considering how often BBC3 repeat them all.

He quit that:
    "I'm not going to do any more Movie Mistakes, because I think people have started to think that I am this … c**t," he frowns. "I do get quite well paid for two days in front of a camera and one day doing a voiceover, but I think that's enough now."

Robert Webb interview
  • Options
    ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    David Mitchell also quit The Bubble. The Bleak Old Shop of Stuff was woeful, jokes you could see a mile off, a bit like an extended Two Ronnies sketch.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    can we please stop talking about Robert Webb's Movie Mistake, like it is any loss to the BBC
  • Options
    AmusedmooseAmusedmoose Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ohglobbits wrote: »
    David Mitchell also quit The Bubble. The Bleak Old Shop of Stuff was woeful, jokes you could see a mile off, a bit like an extended Two Ronnies sketch.

I didn't know Rob had quit movie mistakes, seems a bit strange to quit that and then do the same sort of show for ITV (Before they were famous or whatever it's called). But fair enough.

David didn't quit The Bubble, he said he was offered a ultimatum: Either do another series of The Bubble or go to C4 and do 10 0'clock live. In the end he made the wrong decision I think, but at the time I would have agreed with him. It's a real shame the 10 0'clock show couldn't have taken off like the Last Leg but that's another topic.

I'm not some ambassador for the labour party and certainly not Ed Miliband. I just happened to notice this trend. Although many comedians are left wing or assumed to be, not many actually step out and make bold political jibes and jokes about the royal family (and I don't mean in a timid way like HIGNFY?/ Mock the Week). I would say that on the BBC only Mitchell and Webb, Charlie Brooker and Frankie Boyle really does/did that.

But whatever your politics, surely everyone must agree that the royal family and politicians getting involved with the BBC and telling them to axe shows is just plain wrong, and that certainly seems to be happening. There was the documentary that the royal family actually used legal intervention to stop being broadcast last month and the FC 'denied' doing it regarding 'Ambassadors' here:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londoners-diary/londoners-diary-bbc-denies-fco-pulled-plug-on-ambassadors-9900573.html
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2860121/EPHRAIM-HARDCASTLE-BBC-denies-coming-pressure-Foreign-Office-drop-Mitchell-Webb-s-Ambassadors.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    But whatever your politics, surely everyone must agree that the royal family and politicians getting involved with the BBC and telling them to axe shows is just plain wrong, and that certainly seems to be happening. There was the documentary that the royal family actually used legal intervention to stop being broadcast last month and the FC 'denied' doing it regarding 'Ambassadors' here:

Depends, the benefits of having a Royal Family are completely diminished if your country's incredibly well respected (outside of the UK) national broadcaster tries to criticising them at every possible opportunity. And it could be argued that the Royal Family are so intrinsically linked to Britain in foreigner's minds, that criticising them internationally criticising the entire country.

It's not really in anybody's interest for the Royal Family to be criticised, but then it's not in anybody's interest for them to act like ******* either...

And having seen Panorama, the entire show is basically a whitewash that does the bare minimum to get past Ofcom's bias rules. It's quite frankly infuriating to watch host after host ignore basic logic and somewhat obvious arguments so the BBC can further slander this week's targets. I can't say I'd blame anybody for trying to get an edition of Panorma pulled...
  • Options
    elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All we need now is for some brave broadcaster to give Jerry Sadowitz a new show and Boyle can finally be buried like the third-rate hack he has always been.
  • Options
    madmusicianmadmusician Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David didn't quit The Bubble, he said he was offered a ultimatum: Either do another series of The Bubble or go to C4 and do 10 0'clock live. In the end he made the wrong decision I think, but at the time I would have agreed with him. It's a real shame the 10 0'clock show couldn't have taken off like the Last Leg but that's another topic.

Hmm, I don't know - he got three series out of 10 O'clock live, at least. I know it got quite bad reviews, but I always really liked it and I feel he got more exposure out of that (being able to do his 'rants', do round-table discussions, perform interviews) rather than just be the host of a panel show that didn't allow him anywhere near as much freedom. I never felt the Bubble to be such a strong format anyway, who's to say that would still be here today?

Sorry - off-topic, I know!
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elnombre wrote: »
    All we need now is for some brave broadcaster to give Jerry Sadowitz a new show and Boyle can finally be buried like the third-rate hack he has always been.

"It's Sadowitz on Saturday! Now Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, a big hand for the Magician of Mirth...heressssssssssssssssss.....JERRY!"

I'd watch it. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, I don't know - he got three series out of 10 O'clock live, at least. I know it got quite bad reviews, but I always really liked it and I feel he got more exposure out of that (being able to do his 'rants', do round-table discussions, perform interviews) rather than just be the host of a panel show that didn't allow him anywhere near as much freedom. I never felt the Bubble to be such a strong format anyway, who's to say that would still be here today?

I do agree with you. I just wish the 10'0 clock show was still around, it had amazing potential and David was incredible as the interviewer! But he and Lauren seemed to loose confidence in the later series and Jimmy Carr acted as a turn off towards the end. I just miss Charlie and David together so badly though.:blush:

On the other hand David may have burnt some bridges at the BBC by leaving for C4, perhaps 'The Bubble' would have done ok in the long term, it was better than 'Was It Something I Said?' anyway, (well in my opinion) and that now seems to have been axed too.

Sorry I'm also off topic.;-)
  • Options
    SonOfPurpleSonOfPurple Posts: 2,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...On the other hand David may have burnt some bridges at the BBC by leaving for C4, perhaps 'The Bubble' would have done ok in the long term, it was better than 'Was It Something I Said?' anyway, (well in my opinion) and that now seems to have been axed too...

Mitchell's not completely out of favour at the Beeb, he still does Unbelievable Truth and WILTY - and he's worked across BBC and C4 before (Peep Show, Mitchell & Webb) - should the right format come in I'm sure he'd take a look at it...
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member

I was also a fan. I thought the only weak link was Lavern, especially when they tried to give her a segment instead of her just linking the show.

I thought the main problem were the time constraints. A discussion was just getting interesting and it had to be stopped and the end of show round table was always rushed.

It would have been good if the show was open ended so if they needed an extra 10 minutes it could be extended. C4 have endless 5 minute shows that they can put on as filler afterwards.

As for the relationships between the BBC and Boyle and Mitchell it seems to be a headline out of nothing.

Like has been said, it was a pilot from a while back with was not picked up. He's done another pilot in that time for the beeb, a couple of referendum shows and hosted at the Apollo.
    Mitchell has UT, WILTY and is a semi-regular on QI.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mitchell's not completely out of favour at the Beeb, he still does Unbelievable Truth and WILTY - and he's worked across BBC and C4 before (Peep Show, Mitchell & Webb) - should the right format come in I'm sure he'd take a look at it...

Lets hope so, personally I'd really love to see Ambassadors, That Mitchell and Webb Look/Sound and Professor Branestawm return.