Holiday in the Greek Islands

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
Forum Member
Hi

Am considering going to one of the greek islands this year. I've been to Rhodes and Kos around 10 years ago but this was before all the austerity measures. Are they still safe to travel to? Has anyone been in the last year or two?

Thanks

Comments

• rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to Rhodes 6 months ago, loved it. Not sure what you mean by 'is it safe?'
  • benayounbenayoun Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    I've been going to (one) of the Greek islands for over ten years now., twice a year. Before that, in the late 70s/80s, I always went to Greece and its islands. Its as it always was. A bit seedy in some of the larger cities, yes, but mainly a joy to visit and stay. The people remain as welcoming and kind as they have ever been. Book and enjoy;-)
  • QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naxos, and it's perfectly safe. Great place to hire a boat and do some exploring and diving too.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rhodes & Santorini are very nice to visit; lots to see and do, and it won't cost an arm and a leg.
  • dave clarkedave clarke Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andros is lovely and unspoiled bit if a way out but worth it imo
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Again, not sure what you mean about safe.

I've been going to Rhodes, Crete and Kefalonia for years most recently in September last year and its fine.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from last year when we went to Majorca, we usually go to Greece. I haven't noticed any difference since the problems with the economy. My favourite Greek island is Kefalonia, my least favourite is Rhodes - I found it very dirty.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A year ago, we arrived in Rethymnon on Crete at about midnight on a Friday night. It had been a long day, so we dumped the bags in the room (in the city centre), and went out looking for a drink. Had a very nice beer in a pleasant bar just up the street. Not busy, just a few couples and families having a quiet drink. Then strolled back at about 1am on a Saturday morning.

I don't think we'd try that in a city in the UK.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    d0lphin wrote: »
    Apart from last year when we went to Majorca, we usually go to Greece. I haven't noticed any difference since the problems with the economy. My favourite Greek island is Kefalonia, my least favourite is Rhodes - I found it very dirty.

Rhodes is ok but i know what you mean.

Kefalonia is easily my favourite place. We go to Agia Efimia all the time but spend many days in Fiskardo, Sami and Skala etc. Booked to go back in June for our honeymoon :D Can't wait!!
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    Did Island hopping when I was a student. Also visited Zante and a few others with my family later. It's nice there. Safety-wise it's fine. Greece is under austerity measures. Doesn't mean they've all turned into thieving bastards.
  • RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,234
    Forum Member
    Went to Zante last year and had a great time, if anything austerity has lowered prices to a more reasonable level, they were creeping up rapidly before the recession, and some Greek hotels aren't a great standard.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went to Crete (Malia) afew years back and it reminds me abit like Benidorm.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mum went to Corfu last October, loved it as friendly as its always been. If anything they are more welcoming now. I think prices for food etc are a little higher than they used to be but not that you'd really notice unless your spending big money eating out in top places all the time my mum thought.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We went to Lindos, Rhodes in 2013 for a wedding. We stayed in the Lindos Memories hotel in Navarone Bay, which is were the wedding was held. It was right on the beach. Absolutley beautiful. My only negative would be that a five star hotel in Greece would probably be more like a two or three star hotel here.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarahj1986 wrote: »

Malia is about as far from the real Greece as it's possible to get. It's Blackpool with sun and purpose built to keep the drunks away from everyone else on the island.

OP - I go to different places in Greece all the time and I've never felt unsafe for a second. Over the years, I've been to Zante x2), Rhodes (x2), Kos, Kefalonia (x5), Samos (x2), Lesbos, Santorini, Corfu (x3), Lefkas, Aegina, Stoupa (x2), Thassos, Skiathos and Crete (x2)

There are places I'd go back to tomorrow and other places I probably wouldn't bother again but all of them were great holidays and completely safe. We're back to Kefalonia in August this year and can't wait :)
  • bootyachebootyache Posts: 15,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Rhodes is ok but i know what you mean.

Kefalonia is easily my favourite place. We go to Agia Efimia all the time but spend many days in Fiskardo, Sami and Skala etc. Booked to go back in June for our honeymoon :D Can't wait!!

Congrats for the future.

:cool:
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    Hi

Am considering going to one of the greek islands this year. I've been to Rhodes and Kos around 10 years ago but this was before all the austerity measures. Are they still safe to travel to? Has anyone been in the last year or two?

Thanks

You just made me laugh. Safe to travel to? Of course they bloody are, you'll struggle to find safer places in the world to go on holiday to.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    d0lphin wrote: »

Did you find all Rhodes dirty or just the resort you were in? I've been to Rhodes twice and it was far from dirty.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you find all Rhodes dirty or just the resort you were in? I've been to Rhodes twice and it was far from dirty.

I didn't find it dirty either...maybe dustier, but it is fairly South and not as green as the Northern Islands like Kefalonia.
  • Diamond statDiamond stat Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greece is a beautiful country and very safe.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would give Greece a miss, now the madmen are in charge of the asylum.
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    Greece is a beautiful country with lovely people and vey safe. You can't really go wrong if you stay away from the Brits abroad and 18-30's resorts.
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Greek Islands tend to have their own micro-economy compared to the wider Greece - and things are largely very different there and have not suffered to the extent those on the mainland have. In general, tourism has remained stable over the last few years so largely much of the tourist infrastructure (hotels, restaurants, travel services) has largely been unaffected.

You may get a few "knock on effects" from things on the main land - mostly related to strikes. For example, you may find flights get delayed if the ATC decided to come out on strike. The ferries have been known to strike, resulting in local shortages and minor travel disruption if you are looking to change islands. The petrol tanker drivers striked a couple of years back resulting in shortage of fuel for hire cars. The government are also cashing in on a few "assets" and there is talk of them selling off key beaches to private developers.

As for "safe" - no problem - most of the crimes on the popular islands are committed by tourists anyway.

The only issue I have seen is that some Greeks have become less hospitable to Germans. In general though the Greeks know that tourism brings in a lot of cash and want to keep it that way. They tend to keep the industrial action to the off-season.

http://livingingreece.gr/strikes/ carries a comprehensive listing of industrial action in Greece.

I have been to around 50 Greek Islands over the last 20 years, and have booked up my flights again for this summer and am not worried in the slightest! In fact, I am looking forward to a good exchange rate.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The first time I went, it was to a resort near to Rhodes Town (about 2001) and it was fine to be fair.
    I went to Kolymbia in about 2011 and there was rubbish all over the roads and rats! :o
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarahj1986 wrote: »

At least you can get cheap decent food, ordered in English LOL There's the KFC, the sit-down across the square from it....and back up the main street the all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet place.

Crete gets my vote. Even before austerity, and when things were at their dearest, petrol and other necessities on Crete were always cheaper than here in N.I.!

Malia IS a bit 18-30 Club mental...but a few yards up the main street and you're back into normal Crete