Options

A lot of talk of Apartheid

21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
Forum Member
Heard a lot of people discussing Apartheid in South Africa today, but the general consesus is that it now exists in reverse- with South Africans of white descent now the underclass minority.

Do you think this is the case? And if so, whats being done to promote a more equal society? Or can the white people in South Africa expect a future as bleak as that of Zimbabwe.

Comments

• Options
    jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Heard a lot of people discussing Apartheid in South Africa today, but the general consesus is that it now exists in reverse- with South Africans of white descent now the underclass minority.

Do you think this is the case? And if so, whats being done to promote a more equal society? Or can the white people in South Africa expect a future as bleak as that of Zimbabwe.

Haven't alot of them left which might well be the best option in the end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Haven't alot of them left which might well be the best option in the end.

But it's their home, and has been for over a century.
    Most of them were born and raised there.
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know white South Africans who have left and come over here for that very reason.

One of them was even active in fighting apartheid when it was apparent.

If there's a good job to be had it will go to a black person - and the boss will expect a kick-back.

The country is becoming more corrupt every day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cosmo wrote: »
    I know white South Africans who have left and come over here for that very reason.

One of them was even active in fighting apartheid when it was apparent.

If there's a good job to be had it will go to a black person - and the boss will expect a kick-back.

The country is becoming more corrupt every day.

And the silence of Nelson Mandela says it all. I think I am one of the few people in the world who don't view him as a saint.
  • Options
    jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    But it's their home, and has been for over a century.
    Most of them were born and raised there.

It might well be, I'm just saying that at least a good number of them were smart enough to get out because they could see the direction the country was heading.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I really feel for White South Africans.
    When the government that is supposed to protect them used slogans such as "One Settler, One Bullet" to get into power, they must feel utterly hopeless. South Africa wouldn't even be hosting the World Cup if these people hadn't settled.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    It must be even more difficult for mixed race people. They're essentially stuck in the middle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It must be even more difficult for mixed race people. They're essentially stuck in the middle.

I didn't think of that.

South Africa also has a high Asian-origin population.
    I'm not sure where they fall in all of this.
  • Options
    belombbelomb Posts: 3,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few words.

Country Lovers, the Edexcel GCSE Anthology.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Perhaps if those same people of white descent had never started apartheid, this would not be happening (IF its true).

Anyone ever heard of the phrase 'what goes around, comes around'?;)
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps if those same people of white descent had never started apartheid, this would not be happening (IF its true).

Surely if that's the case, white people were just claiming their birthright after their ancestors were kicked out of Africa 100,000s of years ago?? ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Well in that case the Anglo-Saxon majority of Britain should be expecting to be kicked out by Celts very soon.

Apartheid was wrong, I'm not denying that, but these countries (Zimbabwe, South Africa et al) have run themselves into the ground since the social expulsion of the white people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely if that's the case, white people were just claiming their birthright after their ancestors were kicked out of Africa 100,000s of years ago?? ;)

How do you explain Apartheid? ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jrio wrote: »
    Biggest troll thread this century on DS.

FACTOID.

I'm not trolling, I genuinely am interested in South Africa.
    The last thing I want is conflict, just some discussion, as I only know the story of post-Apartheid South Africa from one perspective.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you explain Apartheid? ;)

One tribe keeping another at a disadvantage.

Wasn't that happening in Africa long before white people turned up?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Apartheid in one form of or another has been happening for centuries, under different names.

The USA, Britain, Italy, Germany. It's a fact of life but it just seems so exteme in South Africa. First it was the black people who were the deeply opressed and now it seems the white citizens are in the position they once put the black citizens in.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe in tit-for-tat, eye-for an-eye shit.

But it's pretty f*cked up, and that IS still the legacy of apartheid. You have a system like that, there's no way, really, for it to be dismantled without a LOT of bitterness and hatred.

That's the problem with fascism and racism, and any ideology that polarises people into groups- the damage is done, and it's very hard to undo. Once the polarisation's happened, people will still be born to, and brought up by people for whom the wounds are still fresh. It's not hard for someone like Mugabe to capitalise on that for his own ends; here's hoping SA avoids the same fate.

Racism- the crime that keeps giving. Once a country is so broken, it's VERY hard to mend it again.
  • Options
    jriojrio Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last thing I want is conflict, just some discussion, as I only know the story of post-Apartheid South Africa from one perspective.

Understand this:

It was a culture of routine beatings, starvation, killings (the hanged represent only a small fraction of those who died in British custody during the Emergency) and torture of the most grotesque kinds. Alsatian dogs were used to terrify prisoners and then ‘maul’ them. There are other similarities with Abu Ghraib: various indignities were devised using human faeces; men were forced to sodomise one another. They also had sand, pepper and water stuffed in their anuses. One apparently had his testicles cut off, and was then made to eat them. ‘Things got a little out of hand,’ one (macho European) witness told Elkins, referring to another incident. ‘By the time we cut his balls off he had no ears, and his eyeball, the right one, I think, was hanging out of its socket. Too bad, he died before we got much out of him.’ Women were gang-raped, had their nipples squeezed with pliers, and vermin and hot eggs thrust into their vaginas. Children were butchered and their body parts paraded around on spears.

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v27/n05/bernard-porter/how-did-they-get-away-with-it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really feel for White South Africans.
    When the government that is supposed to protect them used slogans such as "One Settler, One Bullet" to get into power, they must feel utterly hopeless. South Africa wouldn't even be hosting the World Cup if these people hadn't settled.
    Apartheid in one form of or another has been happening for centuries, under different names.

The USA, Britain, Italy, Germany. It's a fact of life but it just seems so exteme in South Africa. First it was the black people who were the deeply opressed and now it seems the white citizens are in the position they once put the black citizens in.

So If it is a fact of life, why are you complaining? Why justify one and not the other?
  • Options
    jriojrio Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give us some more of your understanding:

Then there were the pettier deprivations: women forbidden to sing hymns in Komiti camp, for example, because they were putting ‘subversive’ words to them. All this while anti-Mau Mau and pro-British propaganda blared out at detainees from loudspeakers. Anderson quotes the testimony of a European officer in 1962, recalling an attempt to interrogate some ‘Mickeys’ – a slang name for the Mau Mau.

They wouldn’t say a thing, of course, and one of them, a tall coal-black bastard, kept grinning at me, real insolent. I slapped him hard, but he kept right on grinning at me, so I kicked him in the balls as hard as I could. He went down in a heap but when he finally got up on his feet he grinned at me again and I snapped, I really did. I stuck my revolver right in his grinning mouth and I said something, I don’t remember what, and I pulled the trigger. His brains went all over the side of the police station. The other two Mickeys were standing there looking blank. I said to them that if they didn’t tell me where to find the rest of the gang I’d kill them too. They didn’t say a word so I shot them both. One wasn’t dead so I shot him in the ear. When the sub-inspector drove up, I told him that the Mickeys tried to escape. He didn’t believe me but all he said was ‘bury them and see the wall is cleared up.’
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have we shifted to Kenya now?

I'm confused.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jrio wrote: »
    Understand this:

It was a culture of routine beatings, starvation, killings (the hanged represent only a small fraction of those who died in British custody during the Emergency) and torture of the most grotesque kinds. Alsatian dogs were used to terrify prisoners and then ‘maul’ them. There are other similarities with Abu Ghraib: various indignities were devised using human faeces; men were forced to sodomise one another. They also had sand, pepper and water stuffed in their anuses. One apparently had his testicles cut off, and was then made to eat them. ‘Things got a little out of hand,’ one (macho European) witness told Elkins, referring to another incident. ‘By the time we cut his balls off he had no ears, and his eyeball, the right one, I think, was hanging out of its socket. Too bad, he died before we got much out of him.’ Women were gang-raped, had their nipples squeezed with pliers, and vermin and hot eggs thrust into their vaginas. Children were butchered and their body parts paraded around on spears.

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v27/n05/bernard-porter/how-did-they-get-away-with-it

Thats horrific :( but interesting as it mirrors what I have heard is happening to white South Africans.
    My girlfriend's dad is a White South African but came to Britain in the sixties when he was only a baby. He still has family in South Africa and says of the horror stories they hear (the mutilation of children, attacks on elderly farmers, regular rapes) that affect white people.

It seems that something as poisonous as Apartheid has infected South Africa with a culture of violence, that once was directed at the black citizens and is now inherently affecting everyone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    One tribe keeping another at a disadvantage.

Wasn't that happening in Africa long before white people turned up?

So I suppose by your premise, it makes it right?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So If it is a fact of life, why are you complaining? Why justify one and not the other?

I've kind of explained that above.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I suppose by your premise, it makes it right?

Not at all.

Just stating facts.

It's not just a black and white thing.

It's about who's clever enough to get into a position of power.