Options

In or out of EU?

guypdguypd Posts: 2,643
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm not sure if this was ever covered, but a search revealed nothing.

If it was a straight "yes" or "no" to EU membership in a referendum, yes being fully signed up to the EU as we are now, and no being fully out whilst obviously maintaining normal international trading alliances, how would you vote?

I seem to recall it's about 58% against in national polls to date. Might be wrong.

Can mods make a poll please?

In or out of EU? 946 votes

In
43% 416 votes
Out
56% 530 votes

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If no half-way houses are allowed then I would vote IN

I have some reservations but the pros outweigh the cons INHO
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    guypd wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this was ever covered, but a search revealed nothing.

If it was a straight "yes" or "no" to EU membership in a referendum, yes being fully signed up to the EU as we are now, and no being fully out whilst obviously maintaining normal international trading alliances, how would you vote?

I seem to recall it's about 58% against in national polls to date. Might be wrong.

Can mods make a poll please?

Given those to rather black and white answers NO!

If however we were to sign up to the original Common Market or at least a Free Trade Area then YES
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as any transition of power from the UK to the EU goes to public referendum, YES.

In 50 years we will be an international footnote if we are not.
  • Options
    BRMBBRMB Posts: 3,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The pros far outweigh the (very real) cons. Our future is across the channel, not the Atlantic.

YES.
  • Options
    Keyplayer2010Keyplayer2010 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We get flooded with immigrants who drive down our wages and take our jobs, we have to pay out millions but get sod all back and the EU gets to change our laws for us.

Am i missing the beneifits?
  • Options
    guypdguypd Posts: 2,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are the pros? I am genuinely nonplussed. We pay some £16,000,000,000 per year for the "benefits", which amounts to about 15% of the total defecit. But for what? I mean, for us folks, not the other nations that obviously gain huge benefit from free entry to Welfare Britain. What do we gain?

We did, and can subsequently, trade freely, as we do with the rest of the non-Europe world. I see no downside to being out from under Brussels's vastly costly thumb, and only advantages.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it were an option, I'd say "in - with reform". As it is, I say out.
  • Options
    johhnjohhn Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    maintaining normal international trading alliances requires EU membership if we still wish to see the 'free trade' within EU, being out of EU means more tariffs,barriers and taxes so just imagine how much extra we have to pay if we need something made offshore(from fruits to cars). so everything comes with a price and in this case I'm afraid it's a whole package.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Windy999 wrote: »
    If no half-way houses are allowed then I would vote IN

I have some reservations but the pros outweigh the cons INHO

That option does exist and it might have been an idea to include it in this poll (it could be revised if someone cares to contact the mods).

It's called the European Economic Area. It's basically the European Union+ with the plus being the Kingdom of Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein. These countries are part of the European Union's free market trading area but without any of the political or monetary integration aspects.

I suspect that might be the most popular option in a poll such as this and there's more info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_economic_area.
  • Options
    Dave HawkDave Hawk Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    In and it's about time British workers had the postive rights, entitlements and a strong welfare 'safety net' like many, Northern and Western, Europeans do :)

We should evaluate each nation and whoever has the best system when it comes to providing healthcare, education, transport, welfare, etc should be the EU 'universal' standard
  • Options
    RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    Definitely In, although I think we need to cut back on the faceless bureaucrats.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Definitely In, although I think we need to cut back on the faceless bureaucrats.

Yea, that's a criticism of mine as well as the EU expanding into the East too soon. Things can't be that great in Poland if we have Poles here, gladly, working for minimum wage pricing Brits out of jobs
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave Hawk wrote: »
    Yea, that's a criticism of mine as well as the EU expanding into the East too soon. Things can't be that great in Poland if we have Poles here, gladly, working for minimum wage pricing Brits out of jobs

There was a surge in Poles originally, but more are now leaving than arriving, yearly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those of you who would like a real referendum might like to look at this link.

http://www.eupledge.com/sign_up_now.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    There was a surge in Poles originally, but more are now leaving than arriving, yearly.

I gather some may have left to escape the authoritarianism of the Law and Justice Party, so maybe they are returning now that the Civic Platform are in government
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dave Hawk wrote: »
    I gather some may have left to escape the social authoritarianism of the Law and Justice Party, so maybe they are returning now that the Civic Platform are in government

[but having checked wiki, seemingly the Civic Platform are rather socially conservative too]
  • Options
    David SteinbergDavid Steinberg Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BRMB wrote: »
    The pros far outweigh the (very real) cons. Our future is across the channel, not the Atlantic.

YES.

I agree with that!!!
  • Options
    alanr74alanr74 Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BRMB wrote: »

YES.

why can't we be out, but still trade with the EU?
  • Options
    AiramAiram Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    In

And BTW the money doesn't just go one way. It's just that some Councils seem more able than others to tailor projects which will attract EU money.

Strathclyde/Glasgow wouldn't have been able to achieve half of what they've done without it.

I may be wrong but I seem to remember that some employment and training schemes also had financial input from the EU.
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not as straight forward as an 'In' or 'Out' question.
    The EU has become a monsterous self obssessed money pit that is slowly killing us at the moment but if we leave I fear they'd start playing silly buggers with the trade agreements and we might sink just that little bit quicker.

If the trade agreements were set in stone I'd vote OUT, no hesitation. but I'll have to qualify that by saying it's a gut reaction because I'm not very clued up on the subject which is why I haven't voted in the poll.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out and continue to trade with the EU like other non-EU countries do.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    In. From what I've seen of things, all the major bad decisions have been made by the UK government, while the majority of the good decisions have been made to implement legislation agreed at EU level.

The EU would never have got us involved in Iraq for a start.
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Airam wrote: »
    It's just that some Councils seem more able than others to tailor projects which will attract EU money.

But it's not EU money. It's just some of our own money, being returned to us.

Suppose you give me £1000, and I then give you £500.

Would you say I had given you £500, or that I returned £500 to you :confused:
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    but if we leave I fear they'd start playing silly buggers with the trade agreements

Since we import far more the EU, than they import from us, it'd be madness for the EU to stop us trading with them.
  • Options
    SpetzSpetz Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out.

We should just be trading partners, that's all. We don't get anything out of the EU that justifies £40m a day that we pay into the super state.

By being out of the EU, we can have our own immigration policy and protect jobs.