Options

Ever been the only one in a screening? (also, any absolutely crammed experiences)

Comments

• Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happened to me a few times but not can't recall what films

The most i have seen was Avatar and this was a fortnight after it had been out. So many peoplegot up to got to the toilet during those 3 hours. Of course it was so long that by the time you came back, you didn't have a fear of missing much.
  • Options
    TremseTremse Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was the only person watching:
    It's a wonderful afterlife
    Happy Feet Two
    and there were 2 other people watching 'Creation' but one walked out 10 minutes from the end and ther walked out 5 minutes from the end leaving just me.

I find it a bit unnerving being the only person at a screening though it's good not to be disturbed every few minutes by someone checking their phone or kicking the back of your seat.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I was the only person in the cinema when i went to see Saw 2 during the afternoon a couple of weeks after it had come out, but conversely when i went to see Saw 3 on opening night there wasn't a spare seat in the entire cinema, infact one of my friends was given a ticket for a seat that wasn't even there (the seat must have been removed for repair or something as there was a gap where the seat was supposed to be).

Other packed/sold out showings i've been to include (all on opening night):

All three of the Star Wars prequels, Superman Returns, The Dark Knight, Transformers 2 (midnight screening), Avatar, The Hangover Part 2, The Inbetweeners Movie, Rocky Balboa, all three Lord of the Rings (for Fellowship we were sat on the very front row...very uncomfortable for 3 hours), and most recently The Avengers on a sold out IMAX screen.

We also watched the original Halloween at uni in the packed uni cinema a couple of years ago, possibly the best audience atmosphere i've ever seen. I love the film anyway, but watching it in a full cinema with people gasping and screaming takes the film to another level :D

I tend to enjoy the sold out screenings the most, depending on the type of film it can really add to the atmosphere if it's a cinema full of likeminded fans.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went to see one of the Saw movies on a Friday morning once, with my OH, we were the only people there.

I generally go to the cinema on a Tuesday early afternoon as Cineworld does a deal on Tuesday's so a lot of the time it's just me, my friends and a few others.

As for packed movies... I couldn't even get in to see the remake of The Omen on the release date, and The Simpsons was totally packed.
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Come to think of it, I've been to a lot of films hat were packed, but then I like to go see blockbusters on the night of release so these showings are always wedged if its half decent at all.

In one way it makes the film better as there's a great atmosphere, but there always the risk of a pleb sitting beside/in front/behind me ...
  • Options
    Simone17Simone17 Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tremse wrote: »
    I was the only person watching:
    It's a wonderful afterlife
    Happy Feet Two
    and there were 2 other people watching 'Creation' but one walked out 10 minutes from the end and ther walked out 5 minutes from the end leaving just me.

I find it a bit unnerving being the only person at a screening though it's good not to be disturbed every few minutes by someone checking their phone or kicking the back of your seat.:rolleyes:

I wasn't the only one at Happy Feet Two because a friend was with me. It was one of the larger screens at the multiplex and it took us until about halfway through the film to realise that we didn't need to whisper if we wanted to say something.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    It is a fairly regular occurrence for me, I often go cinema on the weekend - but in the day rather than evening, this gives me a better chance of seeing something with no one else in the screening. Also sometimes I watch films not as popular which helps, and when cineworld show older films again it helps.

Warhorse
    Lockout
    Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol
    Get Smart
    James Bond Quantum of Solace

...are just a few that spring to mind when thinking of films I saw with just me in the screening.

Only a few films has the cinema been completely packed, Dark Knight, Legend of the Guardians, Alpha and Omega, TinTin (the last three were the Movie for Kids which explains the packed nature - since it is a pound to get in)

I really did hate the packed screening as it tends to have more people doing the things that annoy you - playing on their phone all through the film, letting their kids play around running up and down the aisles (batman film :() which completely ruins the experience for me.

You had an empty screening of Avatar...IMPOSSIBLE
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    cribcar wrote: »
    Only one - Phonebooth

Packed solid - Lord of the Rings The Return of the King

Same here. went to see this 3 weeks after it had been released, tried to get into a 5 PM showing with my dad but was told to come back at 7.

Went into the 7 PM showing and got two of the last seats left. Still amazing film with a great atmosphere thanks to all the people.
  • Options
    NarutoFan100NarutoFan100 Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mega Packed - The Avengers - people ushered to seats and movie started later as there were too many people queing to come inside.
  • Options
    draig gochdraig goch Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can remember going to a special midnight screening of Revenge of the Sith on its release - not a spare seat in the place.
  • Options
    PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You had an empty screening of Avatar...IMPOSSIBLE

Not really I went about three weeks after it was released and it was mid-day on a Thursday if I remember correctly. It had been moved to screen 9 which is one of the smaller 3D screen. Just me and my popcorn :) quite possible I assure you :)

I went to the first possible screening of Avengers at our local cineworld I thought that would be full to brimming, it only had about 20 people in, 30 at a push. You just have to find the right times and you will get a near empty if not empty screening most times :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only me and someone else went to see The Lion King 2D in Cineworld last year
  • Options
    DubDubDubDub Posts: 2,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    went to an impulsive [drunk] late nite Drive showing a while bac, only me & some couple, so i moved and sat in the vip seats :D
  • Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few years ago, when I went to see The Eye, I was the only one in an afternoon showing. I kept thinking about Kevin Bacon in Stir Of Echoes, when he was under hypnosis and told to imagine he was in a cinema, floating in his chair towards the screen.

Apart from films like Woman In black, when I enjoy everybody jumping out of their skin together, I usually go to morning or afternoon showings of films, which are pretty empty.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I worked nights (and could afford regular moviegoing!), I used to love going to the cinema in the afternoon, when it was cheaper and there was hardly anyone there. A few times I was the only one... I'm a big horror movie fan, too, so I went to see quite a few rubbish ones which weren't doing all that well at the box office. Meaning, of course, no other bugger was going to see them until they'd had a few beers first, so... empty afternoon auditorium! Like having a REALLY BIG living room and an awesome telly. Neither of which I have...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wulfster wrote: »
    In fact, the projectionist popped his head round the door and asked if I'd mind if he skipped the ads and trailers!!

:D

I think of a few movies over the years that I wish that had happened to me
  • Options
    Goonie.Goonie. Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    My friend and I were the only people when we watched Paranormal Activity 2 - we only realised we were the only ones in there when the lights came on during the credits.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one that always sticks in my mind is June 1998 - we went up the West End to see Mimic the same night that England were playing Argentina - we were the only ones in the cinema and the streets were deserted when we walked back to the tube station
  • Options
    MurraymarMurraymar Posts: 4,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend and I went to see Signs and we were the only two there. Blair witch was jammers.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crammed- King Kong

empty- Serenity
  • Options
    javjamoll84javjamoll84 Posts: 15,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me and a small group of friends went to see G Force and there was only another two or three people in the screening...

It was mobbed at The Woman in Black earlier this year when I went with a friend. We did go on a Saturday though and intended to see the early afternoon one which was full when we got there. The evening one likewise. We didn't expect it to be as busy as it had already been out for about 2/3weeks by that point.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    me and my brother were the only ones in the cinema once when we went to see "while you were sleeping" free screening..
  • Options
    Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me and my wife were the only ones in saw 3 D except for this one dude at the back which was slightly unnerving.. :D
  • Options
    L.O.V.EL.O.V.E Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    been a few films where the screening is full...most recent was American Reunion. The only time I was on my own, in the biggest screen in my local Vue was for the second time I seen This is it and it was amazing
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My then-girlfriend and I were the only people in the cavernous Marble Arch Odeon one afternoon during a showing of "Enemy Mine".