Our loss, their gain.

Why our loss?
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if Capello can speak any Russian?:D
  • MojoMasterMojoMaster Posts: 6,494
    Forum Member
    I fully expect Russia to be taking world football by storm very shortly.
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as he isn't still England's I couldn't care less.
  • BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's worrying how we victimise people just because the last thing they did wasn't very good. We do this in all aspects of public life. It's as if we cannot understand things unless we categorise people as either 'genius' or 'useless waste of space'.

Capello is a very good manager who had a poor World Cup. Suddenly now he's entire abilities as a manager is based on that one competition. Everything else that went before or since (qualification to Euro 2012 with ease) is suddenly completely forgotten. It's a terrible trait we have in this country.
  • skimminstonesskimminstones Posts: 8,403
    Forum Member
    capello has won the league with each club side he managed, Milan, Roma, Madrid, Juventus. Now you can argue those clubs should win the league with the possible exception of Roma but plenty of other managers have not won it with them. Capello did, with all 4.

He also qualified england, who everyone seems to agree dont have many great players, with absolute ease for both the world cup 2010 and euro 2012. He had a dodgy few weeks in south africa and people have written him off as useless. It amazes me, really does.
  • QWERTYOPQWERTYOP Posts: 6,878
    Forum Member
    Exactly. Capello is a proven world class manager. The media just managed to convince the sheep-minded masses that he was crap, just like they did with SGE before him, and at some point they'll do to Woy.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Capello's an excellent manager, it just didn't work as well as was hoped with England. There are never guarantees in football.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    QWERTYOP wrote: »
    Exactly. Capello is a proven world class manager. The media just managed to convince the sheep-minded masses that he was crap, just like they did with SGE before him, and at some point they'll do to Woy.

So? It doesn't mean he'll be successful every time he manages does it? We were beyond awful in that World Cup, the only shock to me was he wasn't sacked immediately after it.
  • Sabre92Sabre92 Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a shame that Capello's entire stint as England manager will be remembered for those 4 games in South Africa and not for the otherwise good job he did.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sabre92 wrote: »
    It's a shame that Capello's entire stint as England manager will be remembered for those 4 games in South Africa and not for the otherwise good job he did.

Yeah but what can you do? To be honest, in many ways his job performance should be judge on what happened when it 'counted'. It doesn't negate the rest of his career though but with England it doesn't seem to have worked well. Ignoring of course two successful qualifications

Since 1990 we've only qualified for a World Cup with an English manager once.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Capello can speak any Russian?:D
    "Spasibo za dengi" is probably all he needs.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QWERTYOP wrote: »
    He's a proven club manager, but his ideas belong to the past, 4-4-2 and all that. That rather concerns me about Roy too, but at least he can communicate fluently with the players and knows how to run a squad in tournament football.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,989
    Forum Member
    The main problem for him here was the lack of "communication" because clearly he is a decent manager with great success and experience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BomoLad wrote: »
    Yeah but what can you do? To be honest, in many ways his job performance should be judge on what happened when it 'counted'. It doesn't negate the rest of his career though but with England it doesn't seem to have worked well. Ignoring of course two successful qualifications

Since 1990 we've only qualified for a World Cup with an English manager once.

I'm not going to defend the World Cup performance, it was poor, we all know that. But realistically how much further could England have got in that tournament? We should have won our group but even then I don't think we would've got past the quarters.

The rest of the time he did nothing wrong. As you say, two successful qualifications were all we could've asked for from him and it's unfair that he's slaughtered as having done a bad job on the basis of one below-par tournament.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sabre92 wrote: »
    I'm not going to defend the World Cup performance, it was poor, we all know that. But realistically how much further could England have got in that tournament? We should have won our group but even then I don't think we would've got past the quarters.

The rest of the time he did nothing wrong. As you say, two successful qualifications were all we could've asked for from him and it's unfair that he's slaughtered as having done a bad job on the basis of one below-par tournament.

I think the poor performance in the group was the issue. It meant we had a much harder route. You can't really dress that up. I think Fabio got it all wrong and usually at 'this' level, whichever level this is, you're lucky to get a second bite.

He's not a bad manager but the World Cup with England was nearly disastrous and that's what he'll be remembered for in the role. It might be unfair but I think fairly reasonable even taking the qualification into consideration.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BomoLad wrote: »
    I think the poor performance in the group was the issue. It meant we had a much harder route. You can't really dress that up. I think Fabio got it all wrong and usually at 'this' level, whichever level this is, you're lucky to get a second bite.

He's not a bad manager but the World Cup with England was nearly disastrous and that's what he'll be remembered for in the role. It might be unfair but I think fairly reasonable even taking the qualification into consideration.

I'm not disagreeing with you regarding the World Cup, but I can't agree that his record in qualifying should be discounted. Particularly the World Cup qualifying where we qualified with ease and took apart the same Croatia side that had finished us off just a year before.

Many clubs have tournaments that are just as poor as England in 2010 but because clubs get more chances at the top level the managers get much more leeway. Capello was destroyed by the press on the basis of that tournament and that's not right in my opinion.