Options

Was Olympic opening worth 27m

Kay2000Kay2000 Posts: 3,906
Forum Member
✭✭✭
After watching the fantastic opening Olympic ceremony last night, i do wonder was it worth the 27m price tag?

Comments

• Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    Yes definitely. Blew every other opening ceremony out the water.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kay2000 wrote: »
    After watching the fantastic opening Olympic ceremony last night, i do wonder was it worth the 27m price tag?

Stop worrying about cost all the time. The London Ceremony was actually one of the cheapest ever and in my opinion was far superior to the 1 billion dollar Beijing ceremony because it didn't take itself too seriously.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 54,990
    Forum Member

That works out at spending a mere £132,000 advertising to each of the 204 countries competing.
  • Options
    DomestiquesDomestiques Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheaper than Andy Caroll, so yes.
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,223
    Forum Member
    It was worthy of a lot more than that, at least 30 million.
  • Options
    Duncan JDuncan J Posts: 2,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought the OP was talking about the viewing figure :o
  • Options
    GlomperGlomper Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £1 for every UK viewer !
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,223
    Forum Member
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    It was definitely worthy.

EDIT: Thought you were talking about the viewing figure!
  • Options
    m06een00m06een00 Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Stop worrying about cost all the time. The London Ceremony was actually one of the cheapest ever and in my opinion was far superior to the 1 billion dollar Beijing ceremony because it didn't take itself too seriously.
    Was it? You've actually researched the cost of Olympic ceremonies.over all the decades? What was your actual source.of information for this? And no, nothing will ever top Beijing and shouldn't try to. That was the ultimate visual experience, a one-off..
  • Options
    enfant_terribleenfant_terrible Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »

The average cost quoted for the Beijing Olympics opener was $100 million plus. Still more than twice what we spent ... but not $1 billion.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish the spending by this and past governments on many other projects, totaling many times this amount would get as much scrutiny as this probably will.
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glomper wrote: »
    £1 for every UK viewer !

I think that's a reasonable cost.
  • Options
    floopy123floopy123 Posts: 6,003
    Forum Member
    The Queen jumping out of a plane doesn't come cheap, y' know. She insisted on a huge fee. "One is not amused by jumping out of a plane."

:p
  • Options
    Kayjay2405Kayjay2405 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I thought it was brilliant (and I'm not an Olympic fan, not bothered about torch relay etc) but that was the best show I've seen. Quirky, eccentric & British :)
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,898
    Forum Member
    Does the £27m include the closing ceremony as well or is that separate?
  • Options
    Mark SmithMark Smith Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    m06een00 wrote: »
    Was it? You've actually researched the cost of Olympic ceremonies.over all the decades? What was your actual source.of information for this? And no, nothing will ever top Beijing and shouldn't try to. That was the ultimate visual experience, a one-off..

I'm sure 1948, the "austerity games", was a lot cheaper.:D

Danny Boyle was right to not try to top Beijing, it would probably have lead to riots are at least strongly worded letters to the Times and on the Internet if we tried to spend that much.:eek:

Beijing was certainly the most spectacular, but whether it was the best is a matter of personal opinion.
  • Options
    Posh BlokePosh Bloke Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    Easily. So much better than I'd expected.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    floopy123 wrote: »
    The Queen jumping out of a plane doesn't come cheap, y' know. She insisted on a huge fee. "One is not amused by jumping out of a plane."

:p

Her next line was : "Though I understand one does get a pleasing sensation around the antipodes".

Maybe they should have spent an extra hundred or so on an arch of flowers on the track .... about a foot lower than the height of the flag. Would have saved a lot of arguing.
  • Options
    Dixie Scott 106Dixie Scott 106 Posts: 11,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The £27m would of been better spent on important things. Nevermind something that lasts a few weeks, then be forgotten
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we have to accept the whole thing went off smoothly, apart from Macca coming in a bar behind his backing and not realising it for a further two, before he caught up...... but then at his age.....

Perhaps we can get Danny Boyle to sort out the NHS?
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awesome showcase for Great Britain.

I've never seen anything like it and am still stunned by the scale of it.:D
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was a bargain for that price. Looking back on it I wonder how it was done so cheaply actually.
  • Options
    Super_FurrySuper_Furry Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was OK, don't think it was better than Beijing though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a fantastic event, cant believe all the knockers on bbc news forum, there was something for everyone and for the queen to get involved gets my %100 vote.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glomper wrote: »
    £1 for every UK viewer !

Excellent value. And everyone else in the world got to watch a 3 hour advert for the UK for free. That's priceless.