Perfection - new series of this quiz show on BBC1

OrangecrabOrangecrab Posts: 1,313
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The new series started today in the 3:45 afternoon slot on BBC1, presented by Nick Knowles as before. Any thoughts on it? Did this quiz used to be on BBC2 in the same way as Pointless once was?

The questions were not too taxing for the most part today. One of the questions demanding a true or false response was "Isaac Newton invented cat food". This turned out to be false.

Comments

• iceyciceyc Posts: 1,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it used to be on BBC2. I like it, better than Breakaway anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I'm watching this too. Seems to be very good. I'm a bit of a TV quiz nut of late - 1001 Things You Should Know, Pointless and Eggheads (of course).
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iceyc wrote: »
    Yeah, it used to be on BBC2. I like it, better than Breakaway anyway.

I prefer Breakaway by far. I find Perfection to be boring in all honesty. I think it's a combination of being a bit slow, and the advantage being with the other 4 contestants in their attempts to achieve "Perfection".
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perfection is currently my favourite quiz. Love The Chase and Pointless but I do think they could do with a rest from being on almost 5 days a week for 52 weeks a year. Can't stand Breakaway.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,804
    Forum Member
    With a bit of time on my hands I caught Perfection for the first time this week.

Elements of a few quizzes in there most notably Sell Ne The Answer but without the obvious greed.

Enjoyed the couple of episodes I have seen and look forward to 3.45 today
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Just been watching on the iplayer. Great quiz, good amount of questions and I like the negotiations at the end. I feel the better episodes will be those where a Usual Suspect joins the main player.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noleysgirl wrote: »
    Just been watching on the iplayer. Great quiz, good amount of questions and I like the negotiations at the end. I feel the better episodes will be those where a Usual Suspect joins the main player.

Yes, that is true. The only drawback with Perfection is that it needs a few episodes to build the jackpot up to make it worthwhile for someone to come down. And then when the jackpot's won, it then needs another few episodes again. It would be better if the jackpot started at £5,000.
  • PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The producers of this show seem to assume the viewers are idiots. If the contestant has guessed 3/4 correct and the first one is revealed to be the wrong answer, they still proceed to go through the next 3 questions as though there is some kind of tension involved in revealing the answers :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's not the remotest possibility that the "random" selection of which "Usual Suspect" is going to play the next game is actually random.

As soon as the jackpot is won, the US who has been there the longest....say more than 5 games..... and sat through the most games without playing winning, NEVER gets picked. It's always a newbie to US that gets picked until the jackpot is built up to an acceptable level to make it worth the one who has been there the longest bothering
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    I like this format. It's the only quiz show that has held my attention into another series and where I felt disappointed when the previous series finished. It is deceptively simple and can be won through lucky guessing. As another poster mentioned, it gets more interesting when the main contestant is hoping to 'buy' some help, although that sometimes comes unstuck, as in the first game today!

The 'usual suspect ' who offered to come down and help for £2000 then admitted that he thought the answers were all correct and he just wanted a share in the cash. However, the main contestant had been having second thoughts about one of the answers and took the chance to change it, even though the US tried to dissuade him.

If he'd left that answer as it was, he would have had Perfection; as it was, it cost him the £6000 prize money and the 'helper' also left the show empty-handed.

I like the format of True or False and have learnt all kinds of useless but interesting information. It would be very annoying if they didn't reveal the correct answers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The producers of this show seem to assume the viewers are idiots. If the contestant has guessed 3/4 correct and the first one is revealed to be the wrong answer, they still proceed to go through the next 3 questions as though there is some kind of tension involved in revealing the answers :rolleyes:

No they don't - they go through them to explain why an answer is false and give the correct one. You need to pay more attention.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cathye143 wrote: »
    I like this format. It's the only quiz show that has held my attention into another series and where I felt disappointed when the previous series finished. It is deceptively simple and can be won through lucky guessing. As another poster mentioned, it gets more interesting when the main contestant is hoping to 'buy' some help, although that sometimes comes unstuck, as in the first game today!

The 'usual suspect ' who offered to come down and help for £2000 then admitted that he thought the answers were all correct and he just wanted a share in the cash. However, the main contestant had been having second thoughts about one of the answers and took the chance to change it, even though the US tried to dissuade him.

If he'd left that answer as it was, he would have had Perfection; as it was, it cost him the £6000 prize money and the 'helper' also left the show empty-handed.

I like the format of True or False and have learnt all kinds of useless but interesting information. It would be very annoying if they didn't reveal the correct answers.

Yes that was a classic. The older guy didn't seem at all bothered that he'd lost £6,000 whereas the younger one was having a go at him for changing the answer, thus losing him £2,000 when he'd been bluffing in the first place! So pleased the younger one lost - he was pretty thick and pretty obnoxious and basically tried to win £2,000 on the coat tails of the other guy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Yes that was a classic. The older guy didn't seem at all bothered that he'd lost £6,000 whereas the younger one was having a go at him for changing the answer, thus losing him £2,000 when he'd been bluffing in the first place! So pleased the younger one lost - he was pretty thick and pretty obnoxious and basically tried to win £2,000 on the coat tails of the other guy.

I wondered if he had changed the answer knowing that it would make it wrong to spoil the young guys chance.
    I would have :):):)
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't get into it. True/False questions are never that interesting, the concept is blah and, most importantly, Knowles is a charisma vacuum.
    Forum Member
    I wondered if he had changed the answer knowing that it would make it wrong to spoil the young guys chance.
    I would have :):):)

I think it was genuine, and part of the reason for accepting help from the US so that he could then change it. Would you really give up £6000 just to deprive someone else of £2000 ?
    Forum Member
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    Can't get into it. True/False questions are never that interesting, the concept is blah and, most importantly, Knowles is a charisma vacuum.

I don't agree. It introduces an element of luck into the game, which to some extent makes up for the US choosing categories for the final round. It also allows a much wider range of questions than you could have if contestants needed to know the right answer. And it keeps up the pace, unlike many other quiz shows that I've seen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like it now. And I didn't think I'd like Nick Knowles but I actually do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was it mean of me to shot "Yeeess" when the" knowlegeable Hilary" changed the Dad's Army question to False?Probably although the young man would have lost anyway but I couldn't help it!:o
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    the ones on just now arent new episodes are they? pretty sure i have seen them before still a good quiz though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    18000 won just now. Pretty exciting stuff!
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still a blah quiz, but Laura certainly lives up to the title of the show. :D
  • badvocbadvoc Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    Lovely Laura was a treat.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer Breakaway by far. I find Perfection to be boring in all honesty. I think it's a combination of being a bit slow, and the advantage being with the other 4 contestants in their attempts to achieve "Perfection".

I still don't love it but the show has grown on me since my previous post (see above).
  • OpEdOpEd Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orangecrab wrote: »
    The new series started today in the 3:45 afternoon slot on BBC1, presented by Nick Knowles as before. Any thoughts on it? Did this quiz used to be on BBC2 in the same way as Pointless once was?

The questions were not too taxing for the most part today. One of the questions demanding a true or false response was "Isaac Newton invented cat food". This turned out to be false.

See this is why you can't invest your trust in these poorly researched shams of shows. While there is no "proof" that Newton invented cat food, it is pretty well established that cats didn't eat before Newton. Which pretty much pretty well is proof enough.
  • MinnimoMinnimo Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    noleysgirl wrote: »
    18000 won just now. Pretty exciting stuff!

I was please she won that. She reminded me of someone off tv.

I hate it when a usual suapect lies to come down and help. Almost hope they lose apart from the poor sap that has done all the work.