Down to Aldi Quick before closing.

jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just walked past Aldi and all bakery stuff and most of the veg is half price. Bought stuff for the freezer and lots of veg.
Close at 6pm.

Comments

• PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow. That's pretty amazing.
  • Auntie ClimaxAuntie Climax Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the forum so quiet because everyone went down to Aldi? :D
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never been to Aldi, is it much different than Lidl?
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »

Same really but Aldi have a little more choice.
  • DixDix Posts: 79,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jazzyjazzy wrote: »
    Just walked past Aldi and all bakery stuff and most of the veg is half price. Bought stuff for the freezer and lots of veg.
    Close at 6pm.
    Haven't got the energy as we just got back from Sainsbury's at Crawley, where we had some adventures. I went looking for a box of crackers, and ended up in the Booze aisle where I thought I'd get a bottle of something for hub, and unfortunately knocked into a little bloke with a basket, and hurt my knee. He never gave me the chance to apologise as he started being offensive, and I just stood there as he rambled on and on, said something to him then walked away to get Security to sort him out, but came across a worker so told him, who said he'd deal with him. Went on my way to find Crackers, which another assistant got for me, as I wanted the cheaper kind, as hub wouldn't pay for the expensive type. Got some veg and other items like the Frankincence and Myrrh candle which I felt was apt....lots of nice customers around that section, and we went around sniffing candles. :D One customer I felt sorry for as her power went off last night and not back on yet. :(

At the checkout, as hub was paying another customer came to us and gave us a £6 voucher, which was wow, and hub used some more vouchers he had, so ended an interesting shopping expedition.

Your turn now, did you have any adventures whilst getting your shopping? :D

One other adventure, on way home, we got to a road full of cars on both sides, and wondered what was happening, then a car coming down told us 2 cars ran into flooded water and were stuck, so we turned round and used another road home, and glad to be back. :D
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i thought aldi was a poormans shop?
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adli bargains gone by now ....... lidl do people realise .....
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Given the state of the Llanelli M&S Aldi would be like harrods.
    people waiting outside as 6am (store opened at 7) by 10 am it was like that episode of the simpsons and the hurricane very little on the shelves the bad weather had delayed/stopped deliveries people going nuts. Screaming in the carpark.

this is all after the black Friday fights that saw the police called to many locations :blush:

Aldi/lidl are doing something right because the amount of awards they keep winning are putting the major supermarkets in the shade.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Christmas veg stories :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member

Not judging by the amount of Mercs, Audis, BMWs and various 4x4s you see in the car park of the one nearest to me.

Both Alid and Lidl, but especially Aldi, keep winning awards for the quality of many of their products too.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or go bin diving and get the food for free like this woman did on this show i was just watching lol.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not judging by the amount of Mercs, Audis, BMWs and various 4x4s you see in the car park of the one nearest to me.

Both Alid and Lidl, but especially Aldi, keep winning awards for the quality of many of their products too.

Same at ours and they are recruiting more staff all of the time. I remember a year or so ago if someone started an ALDI thread all the shopping snobs would come out and say they couldn't shop anywhere other than M&S or Waitrose and threw in a few unfounded insults about the people that shop there. Not anymore it seems. I'll shop anywhere but imo M&S went downhill about 18 months ago and Waitrose is such a cold, impersonal place and that's without mentioning the prices. I couldn't do a whole weeks shop at ALDI but, for some items, the prices are so much lower you would be stupid to buy elsewhere. (That's assuming you have an ALDI close by of course.) I mean, why give Tesco £1.60+ for 6 large free range eggs when eggs farmed to the same regulations are £1 in ALDI?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The stuff I bought yesterday was good quality but 25p for an Aubergine when they are a quid in Asda :o:D
    Up early - all Christmas stuff sorted so Aldi bargains now almost ready for freezer and ££££££'s saved off next weeks shopping bill, in fact not much left to buy as we are veggies, so Thank You Aldi.:)
  • CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There's not much choice in there and quality not the same as others although it's what you get your body used to I suppose.

Me I only like Heinz beans but someone has to eat the second best ones otherwise they would stack up everywhere. :D
  • floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CM wrote: »
    There's not much choice in there and quality not the same as others although it's what you get your body used to I suppose.

Me I only like Heinz beans but someone has to eat the second best ones otherwise they would stack up everywhere. :D

The fact that you couldn't do your whole weekly shop in Aldi or Lidl puts me off. I don't have an Aldi close by anyway but Lidl is about 5-10 mins away in the car and I just can't be bothered to have to do two shops. I'd end up spending more I think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What does that mean? Their veg is the same as Asda etc but cheaper.
  • Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're right there, it's actually better than many supermarkets :p Merry Christmas, looking forward to all the treats later on (from Aldi of course). :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    floozie_21 wrote: »
    The fact that you couldn't do your whole weekly shop in Aldi or Lidl puts me off. I don't have an Aldi close by anyway but Lidl is about 5-10 mins away in the car and I just can't be bothered to have to do two shops. I'd end up spending more I think.

Well if you ate the same for everyday you could get your weeks shopping in one go and save money. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave3622 wrote: »
    You're right there, it's actually better than many supermarkets :p Merry Christmas, looking forward to all the treats later on (from Aldi of course). :)

As I say it's what you get used to.:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jazzyjazzy wrote: »
    What does that mean? Their veg is the same as Asda etc but cheaper.

You think it's the same that's the difference but if it works for you Great. :cool:
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »

Not very different. Both are German owned discount stores.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

It's for people who are not food snobs and are willing to pay less for the same stuff you can get at a higher price in other bog standard supermarkets.

=

For the same reason, I can get absolute bargains in the pound shops and Amazon Marketplace for example.

Pound shop(s).

15-20 quid books for a quid.

CDs, DVDs for a quid, e.g. Kylie, The Corrs, Madonna, Robbie Williams, East 17, Die Another Day, depending what's on offer, have a rummage around etc.

Computer accessories. Cables, mouse mats, headphones etc.

(All brand new or nearly new in the case of CDs and DVDs.)

=

Amazon Marketplace.

Well, have a look around.

You know. Why pay £1 for a PAYG SIM card in the local shop and even the pound shop, when you can buy them for 1p on Amazon Marketplace.

I bought a nearly new 'Times Atlas Of Britain' (latest edition) for £3 from Amazon Marketplace (RRP £90) a few weeks ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    floozie_21 wrote: »

I really don't think there is one single supermarket I could do a whole weeks shopping in. I shop for the best quality at the best price wherever it may be. ALDI basics such as eggs, plain flour, sugar, milk etc are as good as anywhere else, just cheaper. They also do a very acceptable strong cheddar for everyday eating much cheaper than the big stores. Veg are good quality as well. I tend not to buy much tinned or frozen foods anywhere so can't make a comparisson. As previously mentioned some things can be better quality just as some things are not so nice but that's the same in every store imo. Apart from food, things like kitchen foil, kitchen towels, shower spray, food bags etc are all as good, if not better, than the big supermarkets.
  • gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As I pulled out of my spot in the Aldi car park last week, a very nice Porsche Carrera was waiting to pull in :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillypanda wrote: »
    As I pulled out of my spot in the Aldi car park last week, a very nice Porsche Carrera was waiting to pull in :D

I park my Audi A6 in Aldi then go to Morrisons as you get one hour before you agree to pay £90 :cool: