Gone Girl from David Fincher

MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
Forum Member
✭✭
New trailer released for David Fincher's forthcoming Gone Girl. Out in October.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrZQgIz7X4M

This is the first time i've seen any footage of the film and i think it looks like it could be a brilliant crime thriller. Really, really engrossing trailer. Could be an Oscar contender. Quite liked the score as well from Reznor and Ross.

Stars Ben Affleck, Rosamund Pike, Neil Patrick Harris and Tyler Perry.

Comments

• haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That looks really good. I read the book last year and although I wasn't mad about it I think it will make a good film. Nick and Amy seem to be cast well, they look like I imagined them when reading. This makes a change as usually I don't agree with casting choices after I've read a book!
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damn you 20th Century Fox :p
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read the book recently - loved the first half but it degenerated into absolute bilge in the second half.

Doubt that I'll bother with the film.
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Fincher is a director I rate highly, so good things are expected.
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This looks shot for shot straight out of the book
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    I read the book recently - loved the first half but it degenerated into absolute bilge in the second half.

I agree about the book, but I understand changes have been made for the film (hopefully regarding the book's badly-fudged denouement).

That trailer is rather meh though. Fincher's trademark gloomy lighting seems present, but it feels uninspired.
  • ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't read the book but saw the trailer in the cinema recently, and would like to see this when it comes out which I believe is 3rd October. It's on my list!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    Thoroughly enjoyed the book when I read it a few months ago, so of course I'm interested to see what they do with the film. I admit, the ending seemed a bit shabby, so hopefully they'll have done something to make it much palatable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrPond wrote: »
    Thoroughly enjoyed the book when I read it a few months ago, so of course I'm interested to see what they do with the film. I admit, the ending seemed a bit shabby, so hopefully they'll have done something to make it much palatable.

Agree. And from the looks of the trailer everything looks spot on with the exception of Tyler Perry's casting. The fact that David Fincher and Gillian Flynn have said they're going to change the ending for the film only fills me with more hope.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw the trailer for this today at the cinema, looks pretty good.
  • OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    I had had the book for ages but was only inspired to start reading it after I saw the film trailer, cannot wait to see this film.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really looking forward to this, no superheroes, no cartoon characters ... what's not to like :D
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's a serious adult drama done in the same vein as Prisoners last year then it'll be a success. If it's all style and no substance then it won't work. Knowing Fincher hopefully it won't be the latter and i'd like to see Ben Affleck's last film before we see him in Batman v Superman.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to this too. From the trailer I am very intrigued at how it will play out.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I the only one who finds the trailer to be overly long? Seems like they are showing far too much of the story and characters in it? It looks interesting and I am a fan of Fincher's work, but I wish this trailer didn't show so much!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm seeing a lot of spots for it on tv now.

Yes, i do agree the trailer is longer than it needs to be.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can't wait. I loved the book.
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the book when I read it last year, apart from the poor ending, but I'll be interested to see how (or if) they try and replicate the he said/she said dynamic of the first half of the book, where Amy's diary entries are contrasted with the search for her after she disappears... a video diary would be really clunky, but it's that aspect of the book which was most compelling...
    Forum Member
    ...but I'll be interested to see how (or if) they try and replicate the he said/she said dynamic of the first half of the book, where Amy's diary entries are contrasted with the search for her after she disappears... a video diary would be really clunky, but it's that aspect of the book which was most compelling...
    Very true.
    Also, given how much happens to Amy during her 'disappearance' there's going to be a lot to cover once they've let the cat out of the bag. I'm wondering if some of that has been exorcised - you could perhaps shorten (or even lose) the rather long hiding at the motel part, which, though not without relevance, had a certain self-contained episode quality to it. We'll see.
  • ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member

Amen. Couldn't agree more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please keep any spoilers out of this thread! Not everyone will have read the book so i don't want to know how the book differs from the film and that includes the 'poor ending' someone mentioned.

Use some common sense people!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    Do we know the UK certification rating for this yet? I expect/hope it to be a 15. It'd be a shame if they cut and chopped loads out to make it a 12A for a wider audience
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Please keep any spoilers out of this thread! Not everyone will have read the book so i don't want to know how the book differs from the film and that includes the 'poor ending' someone mentioned.

Use some common sense people!

For what it's worth, the film's second half is completely different from the novel so you shouldn't be that worried.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrPond wrote: »
    Do we know the UK certification rating for this yet? I expect/hope it to be a 15. It'd be a shame if they cut and chopped loads out to make it a 12A for a wider audience

It won't be 12A. The story is too graphic and some of the subject matters raised by various characters alone are an instant 15.
    Forum Member
    Don't think it's been rated for the UK yet, but it's R-rated in the US.

It's also surprisingly lengthy - 2hrs 25mins.