The Day The Earth Caught Fire

Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
Forum Member
✭✭
Watched this last night (new blu ray release out tomorrow).

I can distinctly remember watching this on TV way back and being quite disappointed in it, primarily because it was not a special-effects disaster/sci fi movie, as I had thought. Found it quite talky and dull.

But viewing it now, it's something of a masterpiece.

It centres primarily around the newsroom of the Daily Express, and how they break and run with the story of drastic changes to the worlds climate following the detonation of two atomic bombs. Edward Judd stars, along with Leo McKern and Janet Munro.

The dialogue is witty, snappy and quickfire, and for a movie made in 1961 has a surprising amount of nudity (mainly from Munro, ) and promiscuity, chauvinism and sexism are rife. The workings of the Express newsroom are very realistically portrayed.

The effects are ambitious if somewhat amateurish, but that is part of the charm, and can be forgiven considering the low budget and the era in which the film was made.

And it's a very good new 4K transfer as well. Plus a ton of extras including a new making of doc, interview with Leo McKern from 2001, commentary, Guardian lecture with Val Guest, and 3 archival British nuclear docs. Icing on the cake is Edward Judd's infamous 'Think Bike' public information film.

A classic little British movie, and a breath of fresh air compared to the recent spate of effects heavy, overblown fare.

Comments

• Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Did you catch a glimpse of Michael Caine just before he made it big?
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you catch a glimpse of Michael Caine just before he made it big?

Yes, though it's the unmistakeable voice that gives it away, you don't really see his face that much (scene takes place at night), and it's only a few seconds.

Another interesting piece of casting was Arthur Christiansen, the real-life editor of the Express at that time playing himself. He was no actor, and it certainly showed.

And it was Edward Judd's only significant film role, and should have propelled him onto better things (it's a very good performance), but he spent most of his career in TV guest star roles, soaps etc.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    One of the best things about the film was the ambigious ending
  • GortGort Posts: 7,466
    Forum Member
    This film has always stuck in my mind since I watched it in the late seventies or early eighties. Really was a thought-provoking film that didn't need all the whizz-bang special effects to present its story. Loved the ending; so out of kilter with the standard fare.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    < The effects are ambitious if somewhat amateurish >

That film was made, quite fortuitously, right at the start of the great smog of London, and by luck was able to use the actual footage of smog rolling up the Thames, and the streets of London with policemen holding lighted burning torches. You might have thought it amateurish but in fact it was real.
    Anyone who lived in London at the time will remember it, and it directly led to the passing of the Clean Air Act, put through Parliament by Robert Maxwell, who was a Labour minister and who said that was the biggest achievement of his life.
    Some would say it was all downhill after that, for him. He of course started the great pension robbing which all companies did and which has led to the current rubbish pension schemes we have generally.
    A pretty good film I agree.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    < The effects are ambitious if somewhat amateurish >

That film was made, quite fortuitously, right at the start of the great smog of London, and by luck was able to use the actual footage of smog rolling up the Thames, and the streets of London with policemen holding lighted burning torches. You might have thought it amateurish but in fact it was real.
    Anyone who lived in London at the time will remember it, and it directly led to the passing of the Clean Air Act, put through Parliament by Robert Maxwell, who was a Labour minister and who said that was the biggest achievement of his life.
    Some would say it was all downhill after that, for him. He of course started the great pension robbing which all companies did and which has led to the current rubbish pension schemes we have generally.
    A pretty good film I agree.

Yes, you could see that footage was real, and they also used a lot of stock footage from the blitz, with buildings on fire, lots of rubble, devastation etc

As I said though some of the model work and backdrops now look a little cheesy, it must have looked quite realistic back in the day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gort wrote: »
    Loved the ending; so out of kilter with the standard fare.

Very different from the film version of Day Of The Triffids (released the year after) which was given a happy ending completely out of kilter which the book's ending
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    Very different from the film version of Day Of The Triffids (released the year after) which was given a happy ending completely out of kilter which the book's ending
    In all fairness, the film as a whole was very much divorced from Wyndham's book, so the ending isn't as much a concern had they been more faithful.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tDtECF is a favourite from childhood, I was probably 11 or 12 when I saw it first, always stuck with me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    It's good and I've seen it a few times.Although originally I thought I was going to watch The Day The Earth Stood Still :)
    Peter Butterworth (Carry On) and Bernard Braden (big on TV in the 60's) can be seen too (just)
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I first saw this in the late 1970's and thought it was more of a dull drama than SF, which I think it was billed as.
    I saw it again this year and enjoyed it much more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's good and I've seen it a few times.Although originally I thought I was going to watch The Day The Earth Stood Still :)
    Peter Butterworth (Carry On) and Bernard Braden (big on TV in the 60's) can be seen too (just)

So can John Barron aka CJ from The Fall And Rise of Reginald Perrin
  • filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my favourite sci-fi films i never get sick of watching it...it has narrative charm of telling the story through a newspapers point of view !..and as has been mentioned a few famous actors in cameo scenes !...i thought the scene at the end in the pub when the bomb went off you saw dust falling from the ceiling was quite spooky !
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    So can John Barron aka CJ from The Fall And Rise of Reginald Perrin

I didn't get where I am today by spotting actors in minor roles before they were famous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't get where I am today by spotting actors in minor roles before they were famous.

Super!!
  • ocoxocox Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A great film, haven't seen it in ages. I must dig out the DVD from my collection.