Matt Di Angelo: I want to stay

Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz-tv/hot-tv/421909/EastEnders-Deano-rapist-plot-set-keep-running-as-Matt-Di-Angelo-set-for-new-contract

Wow! I am very happy about this but I'm surprised that it's even an option with what Dean has done.

Comments

• MiniMeTooMiniMeToo Posts: 17,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    http://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz-tv/hot-tv/421909/EastEnders-Deano-rapist-plot-set-keep-running-as-Matt-Di-Angelo-set-for-new-contract

Wow! I am very happy about this but I'm surprised that it's even an option with what Dean has done.

if he stays it will be a slap in the face to those who have been raped, I can't believe they will let him get away with this, if it is true, that's me done with EastEnders...
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MiniMeToo wrote: »
    if he stays it will be a slap in the face to those who have been raped, I can't believe they will let him get away with this, if it is true, that's me done with EastEnders...

Have you read the article? As it's said, unfortunately it's true about many rapists not going to prison. I actually think Eastenders would and should keep Dean as it's realistic, unfortunately. As DTC said at the beginning - Eastenders has to get it's balls back.
  • Mr PatrickMr Patrick Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What? He By right dean should leave get justice what he deserves. In my opinion its an insult to rape victims seen him on the tv like nothing happened and besides where can he go from here. If he is kept i am done with Eastenders and I mean it this time

Are we going to put up with this storyline for the rest of the year and next year etc because I can't see this storyline end until Dean leaves.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you read the article? As it's said, unfortunately it's true about many rapists not going to prison. I actually think Eastenders would and should keep Dean as it's realistic, unfortunately. As DTC said at the beginning - Eastenders has to get it's balls back.

Do you think Dean will not be charged?
  • mw0390mw0390 Posts: 23,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    Do you think Dean will not be charged?

Well DTC said there will not be a trial so I imagine he won't be charged
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Why this isn't enough to make me stop watching, as it's one character and only a small part of the show, I not sure how happy I'd be if he's still around in six months or so. I'm hope this is just a ruse and he actually is leaving at some point. Someone had a good idea in another thread the other day, basically that Dean should be the one who helps Stan die and he goes to prison for that since it's unlikely he'll be convicted for the rape.

My biggest concern here is that it'll bring down the characters around him, he's already sent my opinion of Shirley way down and I'm worried the same could happen to Denise and others close to him. If they keep him around he has to be a villain imo, they can't give him storylines where we're expected to root for him after this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree. I love Dean (forgetting the past 4 months) and I still think he has so much potential that hasn't been used. However, while I'd love for him to stay, I hate what they have made him. If he stays, I think he will either have to become a villain that we aren't supposed to like, or try and "re-set" him by making him have a breakdown, realise what he's done, try and take some sort of responsibility etc. What can't happen is for him to stay the same - I don't think there's any way he can stay if it stays as it is with him denying it. That definitely doesn't have a long term future.
  • Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Guess if he Stayed What could they do with him. ,?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Guess if he Stayed What could they do with him. ,?

I think a breakdown or he becomes a villain. He either realises what he's done or he goes the other way and becomes a villain.
  • Bingo_Bingo_ Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People get away with rape all the time. Why on earth would "soap accurately reflects life" be enough to stop people from watching.

Personally I'd welcome a change from the 'bad guy gets their comeuppance' routine - sometimes bad guys get away with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bingo_ wrote: »
    People get away with rape all the time. Why on earth would "soap accurately reflects life" be enough to stop people from watching.

Personally I'd welcome a change from the 'bad guy gets their comeuppance' routine - sometimes bad guys get away with it.

Usually, I'd feel that a rapist can't stay.

However, putting aside my liking for Dean (NOT this storyline though), the way he's been written is not the same as any other rape storyline a soap has done. The way the writers have written him is in a way that the viewers still like *him* but hate what he's done. He's not being written as a hateful character, and that is the way that I think he can stay. He wasn't born evil - he's actually a nice person that has committed an awful crime. He NEEDS to realise that though before anything can be done with him in the future.....unless that turn him into a villain.

I hate that they made Dean a rapist, but I'm glad he could stay because of his potential pre-last year!!!
  • Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True he could realise he has done wrong and that he needs help. This in turn will lead to exploring his time in prison.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    It's a tricky one because rape is a despicable crime, but Matt is right, rapists are (unfortunately) rarely convicted. But if I can live with murderers walking around free then I can live with Matt staying. I do like him and Mick being brothers.
  • GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    Sorry Matt, they made your character a rapist, therefore I don't want Dean on my screen unless it involves a storyline relating to the rape (which frankly I still don't care about)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    True he could realise he has done wrong and that he needs help. This in turn will lead to exploring his time in prison.

If I was a writer on Eastenders, this is what I'd do. Dean realises what he's done and then everything else comes out about how and why he is the way he is. If he isn't going to become a villain, some sort of "re-set" needs to happen.
    vald wrote: »
    It's a tricky one because rape is a despicable crime, but Matt is right, rapists are (unfortunately) rarely convicted. But if I can live with murderers walking around free then I can live with Matt staying. I do like him and Mick being brothers.

I agree. Even without this storyline, Dean's involved in about 20 others! I also agree that Dean and Mick being brothers could become a wasted opportunity...unless Buster's return brings something with it.
  • CalfroCalfro Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    He's a rapist, he should leave.

But the actor is goodlooking so it's okay for him to stay.

Give me strength.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they want to really bring home the issue of low conviction rates then not convicting Dean is the perfect way to do it. It seems that they've tried to make this a non 'classic' rape as it's usually portrayed in the media. Not a violent attack by a stranger in an alley with harrowing screams and violence. Someone inside the family, no screams, no witnesses and sadly if it's being true to life - probably not a conviction either.

If they want to really expose this as an issue then having a 'happily ever after' ending may well undermine it because that isn't how it works out in most cases, sadly. I think it'll be a brave decision to have him get away with it and as a storyline it'll probably do more good if he does as it'll highlight the problem rather than pretending it doesn't exist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Calfro wrote: »

Give me strength.

No not at all but rape conviction rates are low. A storyline that highlights this is far more valuable in terms of the wider awareness of the issue than one where all the loose ends are neatly tied up in a 'happy ending' soapland conclusion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Calfro wrote: »

Give me strength.

BIB: No one has said that on this thread?
    Forum Member
    If I was a writer on Eastenders, this is what I'd do. Dean realises what he's done and then everything else comes out about how and why he is the way he is. If he isn't going to become a villain, some sort of "re-set" needs to happen.

I agree. Even without this storyline, Dean's involved in about 20 others! I also agree that Dean and Mick being brothers could become a wasted opportunity...unless Buster's return brings something with it.

There is and will never be any such thing. They have made Dean a rapist for the sake of Mick and Linda having a storyline and Danny Dyer getting an award and unfortunately Dean the Rapist is now continuity. He should not be allowed to continue long-term.
    Forum Member
    If Dean was fat and sweaty there would mobs outside Elstree campaigning for his axing
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is and will never be any such thing. They have made Dean a rapist for the sake of Mick and Linda having a storyline and Danny Dyer getting an award and unfortunately Dean the Rapist is now continuity. He should not be allowed to continue long-term.

Why not?

In fiction the bad guys don't always get their comeuppance. Why the need to ultimately sanitise everything because people can't cope with anything but a happy ending. This isn't Disney.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Dean was fat and sweaty there would mobs outside Elstree campaigning for his axing

Like the mobs who protested against Nick Cotton's regular returns or to get Phil out, you mean?

Or is it their svelte, smouldering looks that keeps them at bay?