Options

Can't stop eating

MoonbeanMoonbean Posts: 1,848
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A few years ago I finally lost quite a bit of weight and was really happy with myself and quite confident.

Now I'm in quite a stressful job, am always busy and am eating everything in sight!

It's like my self control just vanishes. I know it just sounds like piggyness, but it can't just be that - I am stuffing myself with sweet, fatty foods, some of which are hidden in my room so that my family don't see me eating so much.

I want to stay healthy and at a nice, comfortable weight, particularly after all the effort I went to in the first place to lose weight. I've tried doing other things instead of eating -like going out, watching TV, even just chatting to people.

Funny thing is I'm always right on track and healthy until about 3.30 in the afternoon, when I'm really tired and just feel utterly starving! Then I turn into Crazy Binge Woman and can't seem to stop eating.

Agh! It's doing my head in, especially as if I do gain weight I've only got myself to blame.

So what I want to know is - what do other people do if they're feeling starving in the afternoon but know they've still got a couple of hours to go till tea time?

Also, does anyone have any good ideas for alleviating stress that don't involve huge portions of pudding?

Moonbeam.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moonbean wrote:
    A few years ago I finally lost quite a bit of weight and was really happy with myself and quite confident.

Now I'm in quite a stressful job, am always busy and am eating everything in sight!

It's like my self control just vanishes. I know it just sounds like piggyness, but it can't just be that - I am stuffing myself with sweet, fatty foods, some of which are hidden in my room so that my family don't see me eating so much.

I want to stay healthy and at a nice, comfortable weight, particularly after all the effort I went to in the first place to lose weight. I've tried doing other things instead of eating -like going out, watching TV, even just chatting to people.

Funny thing is I'm always right on track and healthy until about 3.30 in the afternoon, when I'm really tired and just feel utterly starving! Then I turn into Crazy Binge Woman and can't seem to stop eating.

Agh! It's doing my head in, especially as if I do gain weight I've only got myself to blame.

So what I want to know is - what do other people do if they're feeling starving in the afternoon but know they've still got a couple of hours to go till tea time?

Also, does anyone have any good ideas for alleviating stress that don't involve huge portions of pudding?

Moonbeam.

Hi Moonbeam,

I get it too to some extent.

Needlework is my answer. I do cross stitch and beadwork.

Surfing the net also passes the time quite quickly.

:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,683
    Forum Member
    I often eat out of boredom, thankfully I don't put on weight all that easily - if you don't think you can stop yourself from eating the amount you do, why not try having healthy options around you to choose from - that way you can eat as much as you like :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    I've only got to look at food and it makes me put on weight. I think the key is to have several meals during the day ( i think the dietitians say 6 ) but in small portions. Like we've all got the time. I myself often don't eat at all during the day up until about 6 o clock when I have my tea and then I get the munchies for sweet things - chocolate, cakes a bowl of cereal not all at once mind, whilst I'm watching my soaps and dramas. Some people just have a good metabolism which allows them to burn off whatever they eat regardless of what crap they put into there mouths ( lucky buggers).
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's difficult but the only thing I can suggest is just not buying them so they can't be there to tempt you. There's nothing wrong with eating a lot if it's fruit :p Try smoothies! They're quite expensive whether you buy or make them, but they're tasty and I find that those Innocent bottles because they're sweet are a nice alternative to chocolate or whatever
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Can I also suggest not to go shopping on an empty stomach. When I feel hungry I tend to put more junk food and treats into the trolley, as apposed to just the things I need. I do a lot of housework during the day, I find cleaning keeps me occupied possibly being the reason why I don't eat during the day.
  • Options
    padpad Posts: 6,699
    Forum Member
    I have one suggestion that works for me to a certain extent, and that is whenever I feel like I'm going to snack I try to have a drink of water or squash.. The drink helps stop my stomach thinking it's hungry, and it also means if I do snack I tend to feel full much quicker and if I have too much I feel queasy for a bit. Yes, it's true it is a kind of aversion therapy but it works for me now it has become a habit.

It has two main downsides.. it doesn't work at all if I'm comfort eating - but frankly nothing will stop me eating when I'm depressed, and the other is that I am peeing like a trooper!!!! It does mean I'm well hydrated though which is a good thing because I work in an open plan air conditioned office and used to get badly dehydrated without really noticing. The walk to the water cooler is also useful to get away from my computer and my manager just for a couple of minutes

p.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Start smoking :p
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moonbean, I used to get that horrendous blood sugar dip at exactly the same time. I got really light headed and dizzy and of course you crave sugar to give you an energy boost. The way to stop an attack of the nibbles at that time is to eat something different at lunch, that gives you slow release energy throughout the afternoon, so you don't think about snacking. Pasta is good, of course in a tomato sauce, not cheese or cream. Maybe you just haven't been having enough at lunch time. It doesn't matter if you eat a little more of it than usual, because you're saving on the snacks later.