How come Keeley Hawes is so posh?

SparkleBabeSparkleBabe Posts: 17,065
Forum Member
✭✭
She is the star of Ashes to Ashes and Spooks. I always assumed that she came from a well to do middle class background because she speaks with such a perfect cut glass accent. So I was really surpised to read recently that her background is actually very humble and working class.

Apparently her dad is or was a London cabbie and she grew up in a council flat in a tower block on quite a rough estate. The article I read atributed her plummy voice to her time at Sylvia Young's Stage School. But lets be honest, Denise Van Outen, Emma Bunton, Daniella Westbrook etc do not talk like that.

Is she ashamed of being working class?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love Keeley Hawes, posh, sexy, shows she a good actress that she could pick up a cut glass accent.
  • SparkleBabeSparkleBabe Posts: 17,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    Love Keeley Hawes, posh, sexy, shows she a good actress that she could pick up a cut glass accent.

Yeah but why did she need a posh accent? She could have been just as succesful with her natural cockney voice (I assume she must have had a cockney accent at some point).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    Well that explains something for me. I wondered why a posh girl had a chavvy name.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,715
    Forum Member
    Maybe if she didn't adopt this poshness, her career would resemble Patsy Palmer's - and who wants that - (not even Patsy, who once said she'd never return to EE!).

Sad that it happens, but it seems people prefer posh - look at Will Young, Hugh Grant, etc etc
  • Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read in an interview that she had years of elocution lessons.
  • pricesoutpricesout Posts: 3,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many people like this pretend to be som ething they are not. She denigrates her roots and the working classes by doing this
  • skinrayskinray Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is the star of Ashes to Ashes and Spooks. I always assumed that she came from a well to do middle class background because she speaks with such a perfect cut glass accent. So I was really surpised to read recently that her background is actually very humble and working class.

Apparently her dad is or was a London cabbie and she grew up in a council flat in a tower block on quite a rough estate. The article I read atributed her plummy voice to her time at Sylvia Young's Stage School. But lets be honest, Denise Van Outen, Emma Bunton, Daniella Westbrook etc do not talk like that.

Is she ashamed of being working class?

I don't see why speaking well should label her as being ashamed of being working class. Diana Dors, who Keeley played in the early part of "Blonde Bombshell", also spoke very well. Being able to speak well will give her a wider range of roles to play. Unlike others like Patsy Palmer who obviously went back to DeadEnders because she wasn't offered anything else. I think it is sad when someone is criticised for speaking properly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skinray wrote: »
    I don't see why speaking well should label her as being ashamed of being working class. Diana Dors, who Keeley played in the early part of "Blonde Bombshell", also spoke very well. Being able to speak well will give her a wider range of roles to play. Unlike others like Patsy Palmer who obviously went back to DeadEnders because she wasn't offered anything else. I think it is sad when someone is criticised for speaking properly.

Totally agree. So just because of her background means she can't speak how she speaks :confused:? Makes no sense to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hannahb39 wrote: »
    Totally agree. So just because of her background means she can't speak how she speaks :confused:? Makes no sense to me.

Thanks, I thought I was on my own here. It is almost like inverted snobbery, just like the wealthy celebrities who walk around looking like tramps just to show that they are just like everyone else. That is why so much of the glamour went out of Show Business, if I want to look at the girl next door, I'll go next door. I am all for anyone wanting to improve themselves, whether it is their appearance or accent.
  • ILoveMyDogILoveMyDog Posts: 26,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people try to do the opposite, they are middle class and like to pretend they are working class.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ILoveMyDog wrote: »
    Some people try to do the opposite, they are middle class and like to pretend they are working class.

Thats just what I meant about inverted snobbery.:rolleyes:
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member

I suspect some of them have already posted in this thread :D
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I ever have some spare money I would have lessons to teach me to speak properly.

My accent is very broad and I would love to speak properly without having to think about speaking properly!

If you see what I mean.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who cares she's gorgeous! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed - very attractive, but after her dismal performance in Ashes to Ashes, her time spent at Sylvia Young was a waste of time - a terrible actress.

Tara Fitzgerald would have been a far better choice IMHO :)
  • Andy BAndy B Posts: 15,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dismal!!?? :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Allegedly', her cabbie father was a friend of the Krays - like every other London cabbie claims.
  • Slow AlexSlow Alex Posts: 1,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Posh English actresses/actors do well and land Hollywood roles eg Keira Knightly, Rachel Weisz, Hugh Grant, Kristen Scot Thomas, working class actors do soaps eg Martine McCutheon.

That's why the likes of Danny Dyer only do 'cockernee geezer roles'

The exception to the rule seems to be Scots, Welsh and Irish (eg James McAvoy, Colin Farell - who is actually middle class, and Ioan Gufford etc)

If you are working class then you have to change your accept - Daniel Craig is a scouser! He only moved to London when he was 16, where did the scouse go. Would he have landed Bond if he kept the original accent? No!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bob Hoskins also puts his voice on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah but why did she need a posh accent? She could have been just as succesful with her natural cockney voice (I assume she must have had a cockney accent at some point).

Its not a posh accent at all. When you go to drama school the first thing they teach you is proper pronounciation, the Queens'/Shakespeare English. Of course she could have reverted back to her cockney accent after leaving but then probably would have found herself only ever cast in Eastenders or Mike Leigh films. And whose to say that in home personal life she isn't as rough as hell? Her business is her looks and voice and she's making the most of it.

I'm born and bred Canning Town but I don't speak in a 'cockney' accent, I have a London accent but still speak properly, besides if I did speak like that no one in my working life would take me seriously. They is nothing wrong with speaking properly, we don't all want to sound like Danny Dyer or Pat Butcher .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pricesout wrote: »
    Many people like this pretend to be som ething they are not. She denigrates her roots and the working classes by doing this

That's an awful thing to say.

How is she 'denigrating' her roots? that statement makes no sense.

I'm from Canning Town but I don't speak with a cockney accent, does that make me a betrayer of the working classes? How very Aurther Scargill...:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slow Alex wrote: »
    Posh English actresses/actors do well and land Hollywood roles eg Keira Knightly, Rachel Weisz, Hugh Grant, Kristen Scot Thomas, working class actors do soaps eg Martine McCutheon.

That's why the likes of Danny Dyer only do 'cockernee geezer roles'

The exception to the rule seems to be Scots, Welsh and Irish (eg James McAvoy, Colin Farell - who is actually middle class, and Ioan Gufford etc)

If you are working class then you have to change your accept - Daniel Craig is a scouser! He only moved to London when he was 16, where did the scouse go. Would he have landed Bond if he kept the original accent? No!

Ray Winstone Bob Hoskins and Sean Bean seem to have done ok with regional/working class accents, but then all of them are capable of losing their accents when the need arises.

If an actor is good enough they will be able to lose their own accents when they need to, could it be that the likes of McCutcheon, Palmer, Dyer etc are just not good enough as actors to be given other roles.

I also think that Hollywood likes "posh" English accents because their is still a perception amongst large swathes of the US public that all English/British people are posh.
    Forum Member
    symoneh wrote: »

How is she 'denigrating' her roots? that statement makes no sense.

I agree, I thought that was an absurd statement to make.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lily Allen
    Forum Member
    Slow Alex wrote: »

Alright derr la, derr namez Bond, Jimmy Bond :D:D A scoop a Carling please mate, if yer shake it I'll give yer a Kirkby Kiss

Craig grew up on the Wirral, so he wouldn't have a strong accent (some people do, but not the ones from West Kirby!)

Wasn't it different in the 60's, when the Beatles were popular everyone wanted to be working class, John Peel was the very posh John Ravenscroft. No doubt some will think he denegrated his roots changing his name :rolleyes:

I remember Julian Fellowes saying on Richard and Judy that he struggled to get parts as a young actor because he was so posh - thats how he became a writer.