Options

How come Keeley Hawes is so posh?

Comments

• Options
    SparkleBabeSparkleBabe Posts: 17,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skinray wrote: »
    The Queen's English, which is soothing to the ear, that is what I mean by "speaking properly" and not the chav talk that is prevelant on such "shows" as Jeremy Kyle and his ilk.

Thats the most ridiculously snobby post Ive ever read. How dare you assume everyone with a regional accent are 'chavs'.

I have a regional accent and Im not a chav, I loath Jeremy Kyle, I don't claim benefits and I don't have an ASBO either, sorry to shatter your sheltered view of the world:rolleyes:

As for cockney's not succeeding in Hollywood, what about Micheal Caine?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like regional accents and dialects but I do have a problem with lazy speech, mis-pronunciation and bad grammar.
  • Options
    artlesschaosartlesschaos Posts: 11,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joanna Lumley is a Brummie, as is Sue Lawley. Felicity Kendall spent years in India.

I have more of a problem with professional "Salt o' the Earth" types - like Cilla the Scouse (as if you didn't know RRRRRRRRRRaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa sof la!) who hasn't lived in the 'pool for more than half her life, or Ray Winstone who cannot be anything other than an East End hard man than I do with Keeley.

Funny how a Priceout cheerfully defends the likes of Jordan and Katatona, who show all the class and style of an Iceland carrier bag that has been filled with rubbish, and yet can be so judgemental about a girl who obviously wanted to do well, and wanted to do through talent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't say she has a posh accent she is just someone that pronounces her words how they should be.

I have a North East accent (although it isn't very strong) I tone it down when at work and make sure I pronounce words properly when talking to my manager and clients. I t comes out abit stronger when I go back to the North East and hang around with my mates, I am in no way ashamed of where I come from I just think that I should speak in a clear way when talking to certain people.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's all like the reverse of the Nigel Kennedy thing now, like before if you were posh you had to disguise it with street cred, but now if you're not posh you get elocution to make you speak proper.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    I like her - she was great in Tipping The Velvet :D
  • Options
    skinrayskinray Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats the most ridiculously snobby post Ive ever read. How dare you assume everyone with a regional accent are 'chavs'.

I have a regional accent and Im not a chav, I loath Jeremy Kyle, I don't claim benefits and I don't have an ASBO either, sorry to shatter your sheltered view of the world:rolleyes:

As for cockney's not succeeding in Hollywood, what about Micheal Caine?

No, you take the idiots prize for creating this ridiculous thread, protesting about Keeley Hawes being ashamed of her roots. I never mentioned regional accents, or cockney's not succeeding in Hollywood. I was just defending her right to speak with whatever accent she chooses.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    chimpus wrote: »
    Well that explains something for me. I wondered why a posh girl had a chavvy name.
    I've always wondered that too! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did kinda wonder about her name as well i must admit..

anyway, I'm from Glasgow and don't have that accent at all, it's not about denying your background or anything, just developing your own style. If she did have elocution lessons as part of theatre school that would explain a lot.

Despite what some morons seem to think, she's great in Ashes to Ashes: she can also pull off 'serious' drama pretty well I reckon.

Besides, in my frequent imaginings of her whispering all sorts of delicious things in my ear I'd much rather be listening to her accent than a cockney one. lol!

Leave the poor woman alone!!

:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    LadySasha wrote: »
    I like regional accents and dialects but I do have a problem with lazy speech, mis-pronunciation and bad grammar.

So do I.
  • Options
    ebjeebeebjeebe Posts: 7,810
    Forum Member
    Don't get me wrong, I love Keeley Hawes but I understand she is now living in Richmond. I know quite a few people who come from a working class background, that married well or got a good job and have totally changed the way they speak to fit in with the Richmond set ;) Many of whom live above their means.
  • Options
    SparkleBabeSparkleBabe Posts: 17,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, you take the idiots prize for creating this ridiculous thread, protesting about Keeley Hawes being ashamed of her roots. I never mentioned regional accents, or cockney's not succeeding in Hollywood. I was just defending her right to speak with whatever accent she chooses.

Why it is it a ridiculous thread? It was a pretty reasonable question considering her humble background.

Oh and I don't appreciate being referred to as an idiot either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me ma used to tell me to 'ave helicution lessons. I tol' 'er to f**k off, an' she don't tell me off namore. Anyway, 'ow do we know she was so 'umble, coz taxi drivers, London cabbies, they do well, you know, an' make some good dosh, they do. Learnin' to speak good 'n' proper, bet it cost somefin' though - dough. Posh is wot 'appens wen you got dosh, but you can get dosh if you're not so posh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If she were the daughter of a station-master, then she mighta got ideas 'bove 'er station, but blimey, not as if she's the bleedin' daughter ov Ray Winstone an' 'e's brown bread on the apples an' pears all coz she can speak proper an' she is hembarrassed by 'er upbringin' so she dun 'im in. Nah, good on da girl, I say, if she can speak wiv proper helicution.
  • Options
    mariafitzmariafitz Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    Just because the woman speaks well does not mean she's hiding or ashamed of her back round...

And thats all i have to say ...apart from it is a ridiculous thread you are making HUGE assumptions about someone you dont actually know..
  • Options
    skinrayskinray Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mariafitz wrote: »
    Just because the woman speaks well does not mean she's hiding or ashamed of her back round...

And thats all i have to say ...apart from it is a ridiculous thread you are making HUGE assumptions about someone you dont actually know..

Well said! I think most of us agree that this WAS a ridiculous thread, and that Keeley has plenty of loyal fans.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this thread demostrates very clearly why actors change their "normal" speaking voice.

Human beings are full of predjudice, everyone makes a (false) judgement about a person based on their accent. It's impossible not to.

Opportunity is denied simply on the basis of how a person sounds. This is especially true of actors with any accent other than the so-called "standard".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hate how 'well spoken' is confused with 'posh'. Just because she can speak properly does not mean is 'trying to be all posh'. And that is coming from someone with a regional dialect as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slow Alex wrote: »
    nope, they are still workng class! It's an attitude, a way of living. Colleen Rooney is a millionaire, she will forever be a chav.

IMO being 'working class' isn't the same as being a 'chav' You can be working class without being a chav - although I don't think you can be a chav without being considered working class although as many have pointed out most chav's don't exactly 'work'
  • Options
    codacoda Posts: 5,337
    Forum Member
    Joanna Lumley is a Brummie

She certainly is not. Born in India and raised in Kent.
  • Options
    shya100shya100 Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read in an interview that she had years of elocution lessons.

They all do. Anyone who has ever gone to Drama school can do a RP accent. They pretty much need it for stage work. Some of them speak in it all the time: Anne Marie Duff (the girl does not have a south London accent), Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, the list must literally be endless,. Rachel Wiesz, Kate Beckinsale, zadie Smith etc all went to Oxbridge and you can pretty much tell the minute they open their mouths. There's nothing wrong with it, just the way it is. Hawes wasn't at drama school, but she most definitely had the accent trained out of her. I have a voice that probably is a mix of about 4 different accents, and I know some people I went to school with think I’m pretentious, because my accent changed a lot when I went away to Uni. I'm not making aplogises for it though, I moved around a lot as a kid and having an adaptable voice saved me from being picked on.
    Thanks, I thought I was on my own here. It is almost like inverted snobbery, just like the wealthy celebrities who walk around looking like tramps just to show that they are just like everyone else. That is why so much of the glamour went out of Show Business, if I want to look at the girl next door, I'll go next door. I am all for anyone wanting to improve themselves, whether it is their appearance or accent.

Exactly one of my friends told me off, one day for being very middle class (in my tastes), and I replied, well I am. She then replied that that was no excuse. When I thought about it, I just figured, well at least I just accept where I'm from, and don't try to appear any different. Which brings me to the next person
    Lily Allen

That really annoys me about her. Claims to salt of the earth, and had it hard up as a child; no love you went to Bedales, among other posh 20,000 grand a year schools. You are probably more posh than the Queen.

I can't stand this current fashion, where everyone wants to seen as some kind of working class hero, as if it makes them more authentic. It's always the young arty crowd. When the truth is most of the one's who go around claiming that, are the very one's, who had a very cushy, financially secure childhood (I don't doubt there were issues in Allen's family, but she never wanted for money). It’s ridiculous; the entire British obsession with class is odd, although it could be worse, the issue could be religion.

I really can't abide people when they, falsely, claim these things. There is nothing remotely 'fashionable', or 'chic' about being hard up, worrying about paying bills, or poverty in general. I don't know what it is, I don't understand it. If I was guessing I'd say it was the 'authentic' thing. The Keeley Hawes thing doesn't bother me; she doesn't deny where is came from, but her life circumstances/her career changed her accent. Happens more than anyone seems to think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keith Moon from the Who also put his accent on.
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    chimpus wrote: »
    Well that explains something for me. I wondered why a posh girl had a chavvy name.

Her real name is Claire Hawes. She had to change it because of the "one person of a given name" rule of Equity.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sbds1 wrote: »
    Lily Allen

And Keith
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do things suddenly resurface after being ignored for a couple of years?