Water Bills - Do you pay yours?

Comments

• Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    :eek::confused: This sounds too high

If a meter cannot be fitted I know that they are obliged to manually assess how much water you probably use and bill you accordingly (if you ask to have it formally reviewed).

I live in a one bedroom house and the bill I received the other day from Thames Water is £198 for the year.

Mine sounds high compared to that too, especially considering that's London prices!

Mines £350 a year for a small two bed mid terrace! :eek:

I love a bill less than 200 quid!
  • TiggergirlTiggergirl Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is far too high, but Thames Water can not fit a meter to my property. It's £370 a year for a one bed flat. I am not even there most of the bloody time.

Is your flat in a converted house by any chance? Thats the problem I have with mine. My flat is in a terraced house that has been divided into 3 seperate flats and I am being charged over £600 for my water rates which when I checked on the website was the rate for a full house not a small flat which is one of the issues I am fighting with them over and therefore not paying at the moment as they have already said they will not refund me any overpayments that might occur in the meantime.
  • Its-GillianIts-Gillian Posts: 3,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know somebody who hasn't paid for over 10 years, since living in the house they live in, they never get reminders let alone chased for it. I pay my own monthly
  • HenryBaneHenryBane Posts: 4,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know somebody who hasn't paid for over 10 years, since living in the house they live in, they never get reminders let alone chased for it. I pay my own monthly

We all know the odd tale, out of 62 million there will be tales like yours. They are the minority, the ones that slip out of the net.
  • metal boxmetal box Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I pay £42 a month in a 3 bedroom terrace. I am considering going on a water meter...at least that way I can control how much we use instead of paying a flat rate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    metal box wrote: »
    I pay £42 a month in a 3 bedroom terrace. I am considering going on a water meter...at least that way I can control how much we use instead of paying a flat rate.

I would, thing is it will cost you if they have to put a new pipe from your house to the mains.
  • a_c_g_ta_c_g_t Posts: 1,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't have water bills the group of houses where I live have a bore hole :)
  • misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    see below
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misha06 wrote: »
    Haven't paid the water for nearly three years.

Had letters, phone calls, a knock on the door from the water board.

The last demand was for about 300 quid (we don't use a lot of water we are quite frugal), when they send something really nasty in the post I will pay it.

Same with the gas and 'leccy when they threaten to get nasty and send the heavies with baseball bats round I cough up.

Even then when you ring up to pay, they are as nice as pie and offer installments if you are struggling.

I owe what I owe, no complaints, but until it gets serious, the money is better in my account than theirs.

That's great. But don't expect to ever get a loan, mortgage or anything from a catalogue.
  • misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HenryBane wrote: »
    That's great. But don't expect to ever get a loan, mortgage or anything from a catalogue.

Have a mortgage, wouldn't ever consider buying from a catalogue, and had a had a financial probitity check for a new job i started 6 months ago, no issues.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a mortgage, wouldn't ever consider buying from a catalogue, and had a had a financial probitity check for a new job i started 6 months ago, no issues.

Err, the new job will catch you out. The CCJ will come into place when you put your national insurance number up when Inland revenue traces you via PAYE.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you can pay all that, what makes you special enough not to pay for water? What makes you immune?
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    :eek::confused: This sounds too high

If a meter cannot be fitted I know that they are obliged to manually assess how much water you probably use and bill you accordingly (if you ask to have it formally reviewed).

I live in a one bedroom house and the bill I received the other day from Thames Water is £198 for the year.

The last bill I got was £185.06 and that was for SIX months. :( I shall get back on to them I think. They can only tell me to get knotted. In any case I have nothing to lose. Thanks Hynodisc. :)
    Tiggergirl wrote: »
    Is your flat in a converted house by any chance? Thats the problem I have with mine. My flat is in a terraced house that has been divided into 3 seperate flats and I am being charged over £600 for my water rates which when I checked on the website was the rate for a full house not a small flat which is one of the issues I am fighting with them over and therefore not paying at the moment as they have already said they will not refund me any overpayments that might occur in the meantime.

No, my flat is in a purpose built block. I am on the ground floor, but they told me there's nowhere for a meter to be fitted.

That was a few years ago, so shall get back on to them I think. Good luck with your dispute. :)
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I pay all such bills by direct debit
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is far too high, but Thames Water can not fit a meter to my property. It's £370 a year for a one bed flat. I am not even there most of the bloody time.

why can't they fit a meter? Mine is indoors as it could not be fitted outside., I prefer that as I can keep a eye on it and make it sure it don't leak.
  • The FBIThe FBI Posts: 2,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3PS wrote: »
    My mate never pays her water as she says thay they can't cut you off if you have a child under 5. Actually know 3 ppl who don't pay. When one got caught up with the judge said he had to pay 5 pounds a week back. My dad didn't pay years ago and they cut out hot water off. I always pay mine. Bloody rip of at 49 quid . Stupid that they do it on your house valuation.

Gas and electricity she's meaning..

Just blood pay and be grateful they bring it to the house.

And big lol at the post about getting hot water cut off
  • Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I pay £12 a month on the SOLOW rate.
    Not exactly breaking the bank.
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My water meter costs me about £11 a month. Hardly a huge amount.
  • WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    When I saw the comments on water lost through leakage, I thought that if you actually check the amount of water lost by companies through leaks, that it would be a small amount per person and not really relevant.

Looking at http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/jul/31/billions-litres-water-leaks-daily this claims that 3.3 billion litres of water is lost per day due to leaks. This is approximately 55 litres of water lost per person in the UK per day.

Surely this can't be right. That would be about the same amount of water as many people use.
  • 3PS3PS Posts: 822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The FBI wrote: »
    Gas and electricity she's meaning..

Just blood pay and be grateful they bring it to the house.

And big lol at the post about getting hot water cut off

No she uses a card and key for her electricty and gas.
    She ain't payed for over 8 years. Her blokes on the 'sick.
    I don't no why they don't pay as they have zero credit rating and i bet it will catch up with them.

My dad used to duck and dive all bills. Thats why i think i pay all bills lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Received my yearly water bill the other day and it got me thinking;

I'm aware of quite a few people who do not pay their water bill despite reminders - some have never even had a reminder.

I've read that water companies cannot disconnect you (although I've also seen things to counter this) and also that unofficially they rarely chase up non-payers as it's supposedly more trouble than it's worth.

So, are there any here who successfully get away with not paying their water bill?

I will be paying mine - it's cheap as I'm only in a 1 bedroom place, but I can see the justification for not paying, I'm not particularly happy with Thames Water myself because of the hosepipe ban (yet they waste ridiculously high volumes of water a year due to leaks) and have abysmal customer service but I'd rather a quiet life :cool:

I got a CCJ from them:o
  • CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's disgusting the amount we have to pay for our water supply and worst of all we pay VAT on our water bills.

Water like health care should come out of taxes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CherryRose wrote: »
    I think it's disgusting the amount we have to pay for our water supply and worst of all we pay VAT on our water bills.

Water like health care should come out of taxes.
    http://www.unitedutilities.com/VAT.aspx
  • CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got a CCJ from them:o

My friend did too.

When you first move into a property the water company send you a letter to he occupyer, I suppose if no one responds then they may presumme the property is unoccupied.
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here in Scotland, water isn't privatised, so we pay for water/sewerage in our council tax bill, i.e. a flat rate depending on CT band. It's impossible to separate the two.

Refusing to pay a water bill reminds me of the late 80s when people were refusing to pay their poll tax bills. Oh what a lovely state that got the country in to. :rolleyes: