Is Darnell the most obnoxious HM ever?

Comments

• JTWJTW Posts: 41,922
    Forum Member
    Serotonin....I'll get back to you with a reply later (I'm shattered and was ready for logging off when I noticed your post). So please don't think I'm ignoring it.

Goodnight for now :)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darnell is OK apart from his constant self pity and inferiority complex.
  • Scarlet O'HaraScarlet O'Hara Posts: 6,933
    Forum Member
    If this kind of behaviour is merely competitiveness, don't you think you might be coming across as rather patronising about female behaviour, by painting all women with the same brush? 'Oh well, that's just what girls do!'

I don't think it's painting all women with the same brush or patronising at all. It's absolutely fair to say that human beings are on the whole competitive by nature and that this is just as evident in women. The fact is that women demonstrate competitiveness differently than men because on the whole we're encouraged from birth to be less openly aggressive and competitive. It's not perceived as ladylike.
    They're not strong females. The inability of Sylvia (and a lesser extent, Jen) to confront people with their peeves is a sign of weakness when the recourse is to backbiting.

This back-biting that you see as weakness is in fact a very common form of female aggression. As I said above, because women are taught to internalise aggression and to feel shame when they aggress openly, 'bitching' is often the way that a woman's anger is manifested. Conflict between women is very distressing and not easily managed. Many women will admit that falling out with another woman is a massive deal and that they find it less easy to be assertive with their friends than they do with their partners or family.

I get very miffed when I see this admittedly female trait reduced to weakness or associated with a deviousness or lack of integrity when in fact, it has its complex roots in emotions felt by both genders and is often the only recourse for a lot of women in a world that a) does NOT nurture, encourage or generally reward assertiveness in women, b) tends to view naked female aggression as an abhorrence (and the justice system treats it as such).

I'm not making this stuff up by the way. It's been researched by social psychologists.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wanda64 wrote: »
    Darnell is a hypocrite. He called Luke out for what??:confused: For doing exactly what he does himself..i.e flitting from group to group.
    Darnell nominated Sylvia and Jen , two housemates that he is very close to. He spends every night chatting to Dale and Jen, and was cuddling Sylvia straight after nominating her...far more two faced than Luke!!
    Darnell didn't have the courage to stand up to Alex or Sylvia or anyone else ..but the big brave man picks on Luke for doing exactly what he does himself...and as usual doesn't give Luke a chance to reply!:rolleyes:

Exactly!

What on earth possessed Darnell to have a go at Luke when he is the most sneakiest housemate himself?
    Don't forget that Darnell was an Alex supporter and he speaks with pride about his time in a US jail.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't find anything obnoxious about him at all. Even Dull wants him to win!
  • Toxic BunniToxic Bunni Posts: 12,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought you liked him. :confused:;)

Am I not allowed to change my mind? :p
  • Toxic BunniToxic Bunni Posts: 12,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Darnell is a hypocrite. He called Luke out for what??:confused: For doing exactly what he does himself..i.e flitting from group to group.
    Darnell nominated Sylvia and Jen ,
    two housemates that he is very close to. He spends every night chatting to Dale and Jen, and was cuddling Sylvia straight after nominating her...far more two faced than Luke!!
    Darnell didn't have the courage to stand up to Alex or Sylvia or anyone else ..but the big brave man picks on Luke for doing exactly what he does himself...and as usual doesn't give Luke a chance to reply!:rolleyes:

Exactly!!!! He's really starting to bug me.
  • colinbcolinb Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Darnell is a self pitying backstabbing game playing bore who is desperate to prove how clever he is because he's insecure about his own intelligence.

Hmm. I suspect Darnell might have nominated Jennifer, hence your negative view of him :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    I find his willingness to face issues that are bugging him, refreshing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    leave darnell ALONE :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darnell goes from group to group getting know people, he doesnt go around bitching with them, which is what Luke does, im sure getting to know people is allowed in the house?

& ive not seen him with Mario & lisa yet.:p
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, he's great.

Nice to see someone 'saying it to their face' without being rude or insulting. Jade Goody take note.
  • pinkfishpinkfish Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    Darnell has limited vision, yet he is very observant and very intelligent in his observations, its a pity there isn't a few more like him in the house. I was sorry when Johnathon had to leave last year, I enjoyed his conversations, I like Darnell, but is potential is wasted in bimboville at the moment.
  • TissyTissy Posts: 45,748
    Forum Member
    simmeh wrote: »
    Darnell goes from group to group getting know people, he doesnt go around bitching with them, which is what Luke does, im sure getting to know people is allowed in the house?

& ive not seen him with Mario & lisa yet.:p

You`ve obviously not been watching Darnell very closely.

He`s definitely a fan of USBB :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    I like him. Loved the way he told Luke exactly what he was up to. A sneaky little rat who runs around the house telling tales and mixing gossip. Darnell was right, he is under the radar coz they each all think he is only telling them gossip, making him popular.
    Luke out next :):):)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,464
    Forum Member
    Tissy wrote: »
    You`ve obviously not been watching Darnell very closely.

He`s definitely a fan of USBB :)
    He spent hours last night bitching with Dale,Jen and Dennis ...pretending to be shocked that Sylvia was up for nominations lol!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,464
    Forum Member
    twinklexx wrote: »
    I like him. Loved the way he told Luke exactly what he was up to. A sneaky little rat who runs around the house telling tales and mixing gossip. Darnell was right, he is under the radar coz they each all think he is only telling them gossip, making him popular.
    Luke out next :):):)
    If he didn't do the same and worse himself he might have a point , but he fklits about biatching worse than Luke!!:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I usually hate Darnell, but he was right about Luke AND definitely not obnoxious.
  • LuxxyLuxxy Posts: 18,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact is Darnell does play the game, he just does it better than Luke. ;)
  • *Laura**Laura* Posts: 45,129
    Forum Member
    If he didn't do the same and worse himself he might have a point , but he fklits about biatching worse than Luke!!:p

Aye, but the brilliance of Darnell was that he "called out Luke", and people in the house will be watching Luke more than Darnell. If Luke starts "biatching about Darnell, the others will think it's because of the "spat". He caught Luke off-guard and for once Luke didn't have a come back and will have to be more careful when he fliting from group to group. Where I am concerned for Darnell is that he may have showed Luke his hand to early, giving him chance to change his game-plan. Either way it was a BB classic moment which we'll be talking about for many series to come. :)

I really would have liked to have seen Darnell's reasons for nominating Jen and Slyvia as I'm sure it would have given us a better insight to the game he's playing.
  • TissyTissy Posts: 45,748
    Forum Member
    Luxxy wrote: »
    The fact is Darnell does play the game, he just does it better than Luke. ;)

He`ll get away with it because all the other hms will think of him as honest and upfront :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the way he spoke to Mikey re the cup-washing-privates affair was very tactful and sensitive - wasn't condescending at all, clearly didn't want to make Mikey feel uncomfortable. Gold star to Darnell from me :)
  • drumdrum Posts: 3,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darnell to Win .. I like him.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love Darnell :D
  • MiniMeTooMiniMeToo Posts: 17,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Darnell is OK apart from his constant self pity and inferiority complex.

I thought the same, but after his little b*tching session last night with Dennis, Jen and Dale I have gone off him a great deal now.