Ebay advice - buyer not received item

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
Forum Member
I sold a faulty iphone 3g on ebay for about £110. I sent it out the next day, Saturday the 18th December, via special delivery next day. The guy in the post office said it should be there Monday. I never contacted the buyer, but he emailed me on the wednesday morning saying he hadn't received it and tried to open a dispute case (which he couldn't as it was obviously too early.) I emailed him the tracking number and told him when I sent it and that it might be delayed due to the bad weather and with it being christmas. Some things I ordered during this time took 10 days to arrive first class. I checked the royal mail website and it said that they had stopped guarnateeing next day for special delivery items.

When I enter the tracking number just get this:

Come back later. Your item has reached the delivery office and is out for delivery.
We can confirm that your item left the delivery office this morning and should arrive shortly if it hasn’t been delivered already.

It has said this since I sent it.

He has now opened a case (wednesday 29th december) and has asked that if he doesn't receive it by the weekend can he have a refund. Now I've never had a case against me before so I want to make sure I don't do anything to upset the buyer or something I don't have too.

I've looked into claiming for lost delivery with royal mail and the earliest I can submit a claim form is January the 5th, and the ebay case needs to be resolved January the 8th.

I was going to tell him to to wait a bit longer, and if he still hasn't had it by the 6th/7th then I will refund him and submit a claim to royal mail. Does this sound fair? I'm a bit worried that I'll refund him and then the item gets received. If that happened, will it be easy enough to get payment back if, worst case scenario, he became difficult?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 399
    Forum Member
    Have you tried ringing Royal Mail? you may be able to get through to someone to find out what's happening. I have had similar problems when I sold items just before Christmas, some took over a week to arrive first class.
    I wouldn't refund him, as you may end up out of pocket. He can't just dictate when he should receive a refund.
    You can ring Royal Mail on 08457 740 740 hope you get it sorted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Thank you, I will try that first!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Royal mail just says that it is 'progressing through the system' so I'm assuming it's on its way. The problem is, does ebay have a specific amount of time that it expects a buyer to wait for an item until they have to have a refund? What if he doesn't get the item before the ebay case needs to be closed?
  • TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wifler wrote: »
    Royal mail just says that it is 'progressing through the system' so I'm assuming it's on its way. The problem is, does ebay have a specific amount of time that it expects a buyer to wait for an item until they have to have a refund? What if he doesn't get the item before the ebay case needs to be closed?

Sounds lost to me. You will have to refund the buyer and claim through Royal Mail. You are within your rights to wait until Jan 8th although you might upset the buyer and risk negative feedback if you delay it.
  • Dangerous.DaveDangerous.Dave Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have recently had experience with "Special Delivery". The "Special Delivery" guarantee was recently suspended due to the weather and has recently been reintroduced I believe. But mail is still progressing slowly.

The online checking service is absolute and utter garbage and bears no relation to reality. I was led to believe items were about to be delivered - then they weren't. Then they were on their way again. Then they weren't. It's a bloody gimic.

This individual sounds like a chancer to me. He seems pretty adamant it has been lost despite there being obvious delays in deliveries doesn't he?

The parcel will eventually arrive and you have done everything correctly. Can't you respond to negative feedback on ebay now? A simple friendly response along the lines of "delays due to seasonal mail - item was dispatched same/next day" would reassure any prospective buyer nothing is amiss at your end.

All the best!

DD
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    with ebay/paypal its 30 days before you can get a refund