Comments

• Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unbelievable
  • yesman2012yesman2012 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sloane has been very lucky with injured opponents, first Laura and now Serena.

yeah azerenka will swat her away easily
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,158
    Forum Member
    Chardy is very easy on the eye! :o

I am going to be a zombie at work today! :sleep:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :( Chardy's found his rhythm. Oh please not a cliff hanger, save that for Rog when my emotions wont be shred.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PHEW.Thank god for that. First set achieved.

This is not going to be a piece of cake. *bites fingers* Please don't go into secondsetitis mode.
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tally wrote: »
    This is not going to be a piece of cake. *bites fingers* Please don't go into secondsetitis mode.

I'll eat my hat if Chardy takes a set off murray. No chance. Murray's breezing through this one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup. I'm breathing easier now.
    Why oh why do I subject myself to watching a match at this time in the morning, when I care so much about the result? Though at 2 sets up, I'm a happy bunny :)

:p I SO want Tsonga to tough Rog out in a long 5 setter,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D Wonderful stuff. Sorry Andy for doubting you. That was magnificent during the last 2 sets, one blip excepted. Stunning play once your first serve found the sweet spot.

Now, please Jo-Wilfred, run Rog ragged.

I might have an hours' kip, I'm so calm. :)
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,567
    Forum Member
    Who is this guy pretending to be Andy Murray?

I'm not used to him breezing through his matches :)

Well done Andy, hope that Jo-Wilfred can win against Roger (love matches between Tsonga and Murray)
  • Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chardy's FH is effective when it's on but Andy withstood it pretty well. The Frenchman seemed to just give up in the second and third. Not exactly the test I was hoping for. Andy's FH and touch was lovely, two-handed BH less so. Didn't make a BH pass the entire match.

Playing Raonic isn't great for your rhythm so maybe Tsonga can grab the first set while Fed adjusts.
  • VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Murray looking better now. Would love Tsonga to beat Fed, but I'd also like Murray to overcome the 'beat Fed in a major' barrier - and this tournament would be a decent chance to do that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow. :eek:

When I saw the Serena result my jaw hit the ground! But I guess she was injured? Really hope Sloane can win the whole thing now, but Masha must fancy her chances!

Surprised Andy is being so efficient. The USO win looks to have had a great effect on him, as I have never been so calm before! If Federer gets through he will be a very tough semi final, but it will be interesting to see the new Andy play him! :D
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A much more convincing Andy. He will be relieved to get that over quickly, I know I was.:)
    I was shocked at Serena's defeat but it was to a very talented player.
    I hope Tsonga gives Roger a real hard match, but I suspect Roger, on current form will cruise tthrough. I can but hope.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Serena's out!!! And I missed it all. Oh no. Gutted. Stayed up for Vika's match but just had to sleep after that. As much as I like Sloane I don't believe she has the game yet to beat win a Slam or even get to the final, Laura was injured and she struggled in her next match too. Oh boy - I've now gone into anyone but Maria mode. At the moment, I hope Azarenka retains her crown but in an ideal world would like Sloane to win.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well there was me bemoaning the predictability of the women's tour this year.

Having said that, it will likely be the top 2 seeds in the final. I'd love Sloane to win but I think someone else will be adding to their Slam tally.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :) Keep it up Jo. You can do this.
    Forum Member
    smartie 33 wrote: »
    Serena's out!!! And I missed it all. Oh no. Gutted. Stayed up for Vika's match but just had to sleep after that. As much as I like Sloane I don't believe she has the game yet to beat win a Slam or even get to the final, Laura was injured and she struggled in her next match too. Oh boy - I've now gone into anyone but Maria mode. At the moment, I hope Azarenka retains her crown but in an ideal world would like Sloane to win.
    benjamini wrote: »
    A much more convincing Andy. He will be relieved to get that over quickly, I know I was.:)
    I was shocked at Serena's defeat but it was to a very talented player.
    I hope Tsonga gives Roger a real hard match, but I suspect Roger, on current form will cruise tthrough. I can but hope.:)

She was in a lot of pain, I think a lot of other players would have retired. She was very conscious of her back when she was serving and it totally effected her forehand. Still it was a very good effort by Sloane also. I don't think she's going to be a total wet lettuce for Vika.

Well done Andy! It's so nice to watch him in GS matches and not be worrying right through a match - we're not used to this! :eek::D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Serena was injured, so I guess not quite as impressive as initially appeared though still very good. Also, she is always nervous when she goes into a Slam as a hot favourite - surprisingly cannot take the pressure. And playing Sloane was always going to be problematic due to their big sis-little sis relationship. Pleased for Sloane but don't think she should have said getting to the semis was easy in her press conference. I think, barring Serena she had a good draw, and it's abit disrespectful to her opponents.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »
    She was in a lot of pain, I think a lot of other players would have retired. She was very conscious of her back when she was serving and it totally effected her forehand. Still it was a very good effort by Sloane also. I don't think she's going to be a total wet lettuce for Vika.

Well done Andy! It's so nice to watch him in GS matches and not be worrying right through a match - we're not used to this! :eek::D

Yes, she's said it was a relief to lose due to the pain in her back. And true, we're used to Andy causing uneccessary stress.
  • footygirlfootygirl Posts: 35,171
    Forum Member
    Sloane Stephens bt Serena Williams
    Leeanne White

Andy Murray bt Jeremy Chardy
    Carlos Ramos

Jo Wilfred Tsonga v Roger Federer
    Jake Garner

Victoria Azarenka bt Svetlana Kuznetsova
    Enric Molina
  • smudesmude Posts: 17,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Fed wins which I think he will Andy must not let him get off to a flying start. Tsonga was down before he had blinked. [I think I should apply to be Andy's assistant coach]
  • BoxfreshBoxfresh Posts: 2,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So much for the Womens game stinking up the joint compared to the mens.

At least the younger generation of women are now taking it to their elders. Stephens is officially the best of the new prospects, with her Australian Open run overshadowing what Laura Robson has managed to do so far. But Robson is coming along nicely, and Heather Watson might even be in the mix if she makes some adjustments. You've also got the likes of Madison Keys making waves. The new generation is going to makes waves this year in the WTA.

Murray, Federer, Djokovic (and Nadal if he reurns in good nick) will keep winning everything for the next 3 or 4 years, as nobody is stepping up to move them out of the way.
    Forum Member
    smartie 33 wrote: »
    Serena was injured, so I guess not quite as impressive as initially appeared though still very good. Also, she is always nervous when she goes into a Slam as a hot favourite - surprisingly cannot take the pressure. And playing Sloane was always going to be problematic due to their big sis-little sis relationship. Pleased for Sloane but don't think she should have said getting to the semis was easy in her press conference. I think, barring Serena she had a good draw, and it's abit disrespectful to her opponents.

She needs a bit of PR coaching I think, as she does tend to come across as arrogant. I don't mind arrogance in tennis players or sports people in general but let's wait until you've got some substance behind you to back the arrogance up! :D
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,567
    Forum Member
    looks like JW is putting up a good fight, shame he lost the tiebreak

hope this match stays close or at least JW wins in 4 :)
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want to be at home watching Jo-Wilf!! :( He's taken the second set, yeah Jo-Wilf.
This discussion has been closed.