Options

Death in Paradise - Series 2

Comments

• Options
    SallysallySallysally Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    Another one raving about the show. Absolutely loved it - and even got the culprit and method.
    What a joy KM has been in this series. I was one of those who thought that the BM schtick was getting a bit over-played - there is only so much storyline based on an Aspergers policeman - after that it is just repetition. Here, with Humph blending in, other stories can take their place.

All the other actors - guests and stayers were wonderful too, but Michelle Dotrice! I would never have recognised her in a million years.

And hooray for Harry!
  • Options
    Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lakes wrote: »
    a very clever episode last night, used all what we had learned by the other episodes to mislead us and used it against us. well done.
    love this show but shocked we have to wait a year for more of it.

Yes, like Humph testing out whether he could hide behind the door. All good stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't know who Robert Thorogood was before DiP, so I looked him up. His background incldes being president of Footlights.

It struck me how many of the good recent light comedies/mysteres of recent years (at least the ones I like) have been created and written by people with a clear background in comedy, who then turn their hand to mystery writing. (I'm particularly thinking of such as Jonathan Creek and Sherlock, as well as DiP).

I also got sidetracked and looked at a list of ex footlights people, as listed in Wikipedia. There are lots of well known people. Obviously there are groups suc as the Monty Python team, that everyone knows, but a lot of more recent faces, also, which I didn't know we4e ex footlights.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ...and,

Now we know his feelings for Camille, and it looks like she might feel the same - she was spying on him when he met Sally (although that might just be caring for a colleague in a purely platonic way), it will be difficult to keep the same dynamic without moving it on, which I don't think they can ever do as we can never have them getting together.

Platonic my eye!!!
  • Options
    TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't know who Robert Thorogood was before DiP, so I looked him up. His background incldes being president of Footlights.

It struck me how many of the good recent light comedies/mysteres of recent years (at least the ones I like) have been created and written by people with a clear background in comedy, who then turn their hand to mystery writing. (I'm particularly thinking of such as Jonathan Creek and Sherlock, as well as DiP).

I also got sidetracked and looked at a list of ex footlights people, as listed in Wikipedia. There are lots of well known people. Obviously there are groups suc as the Monty Python team, that everyone knows, but a lot of more recent faces, also, which I didn't know we4e ex footlights.
    I've been surprised at the number of actors and comedians on tv that are Oxbridge graduates. Given the quality of some of them I'm not totally convinced it's such a great breeding ground for talent rather then the old boys/girls network at play.
  • Options
    RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Sallysally wrote: »
    Another one raving about the show. Absolutely loved it - and even got the culprit and method.
    What a joy KM has been in this series. I was one of those who thought that the BM schtick was getting a bit over-played - there is only so much storyline based on an Aspergers policeman - after that it is just repetition. Here, with Humph blending in, other stories can take their place.

All the other actors - guests and stayers were wonderful too, but Michelle Dotrice! I would never have recognised her in a million years.

And hooray for Harry!

I know, right!!!:cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Never thought I'd say this but I loved Death in Paradise. This series has been really good & Kris Marshall has been great. I cheered when he dumped his wife- she'd probably leave him again.
    Shame we have to wait til next year til the new series. Surely there are plenty of actors queuing up to appear in this?! :(
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that the ultimate accolade of a Christmas special would be great for the series but it wouldn't really help the wait as it's on in January anyway! :)
  • Options
    Wench02Wench02 Posts: 2,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I'm guessing humph fancies Camille?

Ok well I suppose I could work as a one way attraction, but if they decide to get humph and Camille together (unless maybe a one night drunken fumble), IMO it's shoddy and lazy script writing...a virtual repeat of Camille and Richard, only this time they decide to get them togetger.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I've only seen the last two episodes!! :o I've got hooked on it now....lordy and it's over!
    Hope the series will be repeated on Drama or something so I can catch up with it!!
    Kris Marshall is so good!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...and,

I agree with those above that this was an excellent episode. The four main characters have developed. I like the way they closed out the ex wife situation, so it's clear that Humph can move on if he wants to.

Now we know his feelings for Camille, and it looks like she might feel the same - she was spying on him when he met Sally (although that might just be caring for a colleague in a purely platonic way), it will be difficult to keep the same dynamic without moving it on, which I don't think they can ever do as we can never have them getting together.

If the looks Camille was giving Sally and Humph were platonic then I'm a Dutch uncle. She is jealous pure and simple. And jealousy usually means she feels more than a platonic friendship towards Humph. And Humph seems finally to have woken to the fact that he finds Camille "wonderful" etc.

Plethora of good actors tonight, and I guessed Joanna David did the deed right from the first time I saw her and Rupert Vandersitt together.

Gutted we have to wait until next year to see the next series. Talk about wishing my life away.
  • Options
    radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    to Face of Jack. I have sent you a private message
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Platonic my eye!!!

Yes, I'm inclined to agree. However, if they are both chomping at the bit at the beginning of the next series, then it will be very difficult to write any sort of believable storyline that can keep them apart in a suitably comic way for a whole series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, I'm inclined to agree. However, if they are both chomping at the bit at the beginning of the next series, then it will be very difficult to write any sort of believable storyline that can keep them apart in a suitably comic way for a whole series.

Yeah - they'll have to drag it out a bit... (and writers that means more than just one episode!)
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I want to know, is how the bent businessman seen in DCI Banks, suddenly appeared as a resident of the care home in the Caribbean, a day later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What I want to know, is how the bent businessman seen in DCI Banks, suddenly appeared as a resident of the care home in the Caribbean, a day later.

Well you know how these things are, crooked finances can get you everything :p

Oh wait, am I suggested crime pays!?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wench02 wrote: »
    Not seen it, but read the posts on here and a write up in the paper, sorry they are trying to recreate the Richard/Camille thing with humph.

Very shoddy script writing. I was hooked on the Richard/Camille will they won't they, but why carry it forward to the new bloke?

How can you say shoddy script writing when you not even watched the series, this has been a brilliant series, and I for one can't wait for a new series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched this on iPlayer (Was out last night)

What a brilliant episode, I have loved this series more than I thought I would, Kris Marshall deserves some credit, I thought he wouldn't be very good, but he isn't a bad actor after all.

Also agree with some earlier comments the Mystery elements of this episode was worthy of early Jonathan Creek, nothing like the new series sadly.

Grrr! 10 Months till the new one, good news that the BBC have agreed to another series, they'd have been daft not to!!!
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wench02 wrote: »
    So I'm guessing humph fancies Camille?

Ok well I suppose I could work as a one way attraction, but if they decide to get humph and Camille together (unless maybe a one night drunken fumble), IMO it's shoddy and lazy script writing...a virtual repeat of Camille and Richard, only this time they decide to get them togetger.

This is entirely down to Ben Miller leaving. If he had stayed this would have been Richard and Camille getting together. Finally.

Kris Marshall has done a fantastic job making the role his. It is quite clear that Humphrey and Camille fancy each other. It is also understandable why they do as well.

The only strange thing is that Camille is single relying on blind dates organised by her mother. Now that is strange script-writing.
  • Options
    Wench02Wench02 Posts: 2,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myscimitar wrote: »
    How can you say shoddy script writing when you not even watched the series, this has been a brilliant series, and I for one can't wait for a new series.

Quite easily... We've had Camille and one DI fancying each other, now a new one comes and she likes this one too? Especially when both of them are no oil painting and not "normal"
  • Options
    jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    I thought this last one was the best of this series - all of which have been good. It was a clever mystery and it felt believable that that woman might feel lonely to that extent. Plus I thought Humph's reaction to his wife reappearing was really well written and well acted. While I've enjoyed this series generally very much and am getting used to Humph rather than Ben Miller (who I loved), I have sometimes found Humph's bumbling a bit unconvincing, a bit heavy-handed. I thought they would tease us whether he'd leave or not till the end of the episode and that she would dump him, to make us feel more sorry for the hapless Humph. I really really liked that he had the strength to finish with his wife in such a clear honest way and had the sense to recognise he's in love with Camille. That surprised me and it's made me like Humph even more. I don't know where they go from here, but that seems to me a good thing to feel at the end of a series. I haven't always been completely convinced by Marshall, because of the bumbling and because I love Miller, but I thought he was really great in this episode.

I've loved this series. My mum can't watch it any more because Ben Miller has gone. I can understand that, but I'm glad for Kris Marshall that most of the audience has stuck with it. Can't wait for the next series.
  • Options
    marsch_labbmarsch_labb Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As soon as it was revealed there was no poison (pills) in the curry, i thought it was switched. But that's all i got last night.

Someone mentionned earlier the jealousy of Fidel towards Dwayne; that's the only part i don't like. Where's their complicity of the first two seasons? Ambition sure changes people!

Glad what i perceived from the start is now wide open; Camille's feeling for Humphrey. And now he realised he's got some too, good.
    But i'm not sure they'll want to break the 'will they' dynamic. The series ended with Humphrey telling Fidel how he feels and why he will not tell Camille. I predict that Camille will do the same with Dwayne!
    We would have a fourth season with both of them having feelings for each other and not knowing about it. It would keep the suspense alive and give way for some akward scenes.

Anyway, although slightly less excited than with Poole, the difference is so minute that i'm still quit hooked!
    Very good third season on TV and with people here who gave their thoughts, thank you :)

One last thought (for now), given the popularity of Harry, do you think the BBC should do a mini-episode with him to fill the looooong 10 months wait?
    :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As soon as it was revealed there was no poison (pills) in the curry, i thought it was switched. But that's all i got last night.

Someone mentionned earlier the jealousy of Fidel towards Dwayne; that's the only part i don't like. Where's their complicity of the first two seasons? Ambition sure changes people!

Glad what i perceived from the start is now wide open; Camille's feeling for Humphrey. And now he realised he's got some too, good.
    But i'm not sure they'll want to break the 'will they' dynamic. The series ended with Humphrey telling Fidel how he feels and why he will not tell Camille. I predict that Camille will do the same with Dwayne!
    We would have a fourth season with both of them having feelings for each other and not knowing about it. It would keep the suspense alive and give way for some akward scenes.

Anyway, although slightly less excited than with Poole, the difference is so minute that i'm still quit hooked!
    Very good third season on TV and with people here who gave their thoughts, thank you :)

One last thought (for now), given the popularity of Harry, do you think the BBC should do a mini-episode with him to fill the looooong 10 months wait?
    :)

Possibly, but wouldn't Dwayne and Fidel at some point feel a need to discuss their respective secrets over a beer.
  • Options
    marsch_labbmarsch_labb Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Possibly, but wouldn't Dwayne and Fidel at some point feel a need to discuss their respective secrets over a beer.

Of course, probably at the end of the season.
    The akward scenes i referred to where not just between Camille and Humphrey, but also between Fidel and Dwayne.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RFS wrote: »
    BTW anyone catch the jealous little look between Dwayne and Fidel when Dwayne's sleuthing was getting all the attention? Loving that friendly needling this year!!!
    Yeah I spotted that too.

Good episode, I like the reasoning giving for how the murder took place, it was believable. Unfortunately I can't say the same for how Humph revealed his 'secret' to Fidel; for someone who at times is seemingly hesitant when it comes to talking about personal matters, it just sounded like a line trotted out to shut the other person up (not that I felt he said it for that reason, it just didn't believe it). I thought he might say 'I have feelings for another' or 'I think I have feelings for another' than to fully come out and say they're in love with someone who they met a few weeks ago. The line he said to his wife as to why they shouldn't get back together sounded more plausible though, and the episode and the series on a whole has been a wonderful way to end a Tuesday night. Can't wait until its return. ;-)