Options

Gemma Arterton isn't just a piece of ass, apparently

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    My post from the movie section...

I seriously think she's being mis-quoted here... This "quote" has been floating around since Clash of the Titans came out, and it pops up whenever her new films come out. I think her intention is that she dosn't want to be the hot female companion in films all the time. Lets look at her 3 biggest films...

- Quantum of Solace = Hot female companion
    - Clash of the Titans = Hot female comapnion
    - Prince of Persia = Hot female companion

She just fears being typecast, and rightly so. She isnt just a "hot peice of ass", and her preformance in The Dissaperance of Alice Creed and Tess of the D'Urbervilles proves it. But the general public and media will always just see her as the "hot girl", which is unfair.

What this new formation of this quote has missed out is that she has said she didn't mind doing these big films, such as Clash of the Titans, but hopes that by doing these films, in the future she will be able to choose more intimate and deeper films etc. It's all about working your way up the ladder to be able to choose the films you want to do, rather than being the hot female companion forever more.

This counter-attack about her being in those shorts in Tamara Drewe is petty too. It's part of a scene in a movie, which she is playing the lead. Yes, she may be a "hot peice of ass" in the film, but she also plays the title role of an indiependent woman.

Just my two cents as a Gemma fan, but I really do think the media is spinning it.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have sympathy with her to a certain extent but it's not good to ever moan about work you are offered. She wants to prove that she is a serious actress and not just a 'hot female companion' because nobody cares if they can act. This happens to all attractive young actresses, it is a perennial complaint. Of course if she was unattractive she would be struggling to get a job at all. Gemma should try to enjoy it (the attention) whilst she can and hope that something more stretching turns up in the future.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, another plummy, 'woe is me' bore.

Let's face it, if she wasn't attractive she'd probably find it a damn sight more difficult to get these high-profile roles in Bond movies and whatnot.
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My post from the movie section...

I seriously think she's being mis-quoted here... This "quote" has been floating around since Clash of the Titans came out, and it pops up whenever her new films come out. I think her intention is that she dosn't want to be the hot female companion in films all the time. Lets look at her 3 biggest films...

- Quantum of Solace = Hot female companion
    - Clash of the Titans = Hot female comapnion
    - Prince of Persia = Hot female companion

She just fears being typecast, and rightly so. She isnt just a "hot peice of ass", and her preformance in The Dissaperance of Alice Creed and Tess of the D'Urbervilles proves it. But the general public and media will always just see her as the "hot girl", which is unfair.

What this new formation of this quote has missed out is that she has said she didn't mind doing these big films, such as Clash of the Titans, but hopes that by doing these films, in the future she will be able to choose more intimate and deeper films etc. It's all about working your way up the ladder to be able to choose the films you want to do, rather than being the hot female companion forever more.

This counter-attack about her being in those shorts in Tamara Drewe is petty too. It's part of a scene in a movie, which she is playing the lead. Yes, she may be a "hot peice of ass" in the film, but she also plays the title role of an indiependent woman.

Just my two cents as a Gemma fan, but I really do think the media is spinning it.

Totally agree with you. I like Gemma too, she's a real talent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gemma should be glad she's getting work at all, even if she IS typecast. There are plenty of good actresses out there struggling to get any work.
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alexelewis wrote: »

Eh? I can't see anything to criticise in that interview. She's just telling it like it is and why not? Why shouldn't she want the best career she can get and not one filled with compromises?

If it were a guy saying this, no one would have a problem with it.
  • Options
    VennegoorVennegoor Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty actress is peed off because she gets parts designed for pretty actresses. Poor soul.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Eh? I can't see anything to criticise in that interview. She's just telling it like it is and why not? Why shouldn't she want the best career she can get and not one filled with compromises?

If it were a guy saying this, no one would have a problem with it.

Keanu Reeves springs to mind- However all he gets are robotic.techno parts that require no acting at all :D

Gemma is great though but if she wants to get roles based on talent, she'll have to do a meryl streep and do really gritty, serious roles until she's won a few oscars and then she can do the comedy/fun roles
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keanu Reeves springs to mind- However all he gets are robotic.techno parts that require no acting at all :D

Gemma is great though but if she wants to get roles based on talent, she'll have to do a meryl streep and do really gritty, serious roles until she's won a few oscars and then she can do the comedy/fun roles

Agree but at least she's trying. And it's got to be hard to turn down roles when you're starting out... just takes time to get the balance right.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Agree but at least she's trying. And it's got to be hard to turn down roles when you're starting out... just takes time to get the balance right.

She is beautiful but to be fair she seems to have alot more to her than just looks

she has been very very believable in all her roles to date IMO

I can't wait to see tamara drew! looks fab

Dominic Cooper topless yet again yay! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is beautiful but to be fair she seems to have alot more to her than just looks

she has been very very believable in all her roles to date IMO

I can't wait to see tamara drew! looks fab

Dominic Cooper topless yet again yay! :D

Me too. Also the London Fields adaptation. That would be such a great role to bag. :)
  • Options
    LolaSveltLolaSvelt Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    Oh, another plummy, 'woe is me' bore.

Let's face it, if she wasn't attractive she'd probably find it a damn sight more difficult to get these high-profile roles in Bond movies and whatnot.
    Yes she would because she has the talent to back it up. She doesn't need to do crappy films like Prince of Persia and Clash of the Titans, but she has to start somewhere. I think after Tamara Drewe and The Disappearance of Alice Creed, she will have a better selection of roles.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    Arterton makes a fair point - that she deserves to be known for her acting more than (or even as much as) her looks. But she should be careful about publicly moaning about this, I'm pretty sure Jessica Biel has done some giving out about being 'too pretty' to get serious roles (...I won't take the thread off-topic by discussing this any further ) and that hasn't done her any favours...
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alexelewis wrote: »

Her skin-tight cut-offs don't make her "just a piece of ass"; while she certainly looks good in them, they don't preclude there being more to her.

I can understand why she's concerned. Of course, work is work, and as has been pointed out there's many an actor would greatly envy Gemma her career. But she needs to think of the long term too; if she's thought of as just another bit of eye-candy, then her career is all too likely to tail off as the years pass, whereas actresses of genuine talent, such as Gemma has the potential to be, can work all their life..
  • Options
    Sunshine&SolaceSunshine&Solace Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like Gemma and I loved her in Tess of the D'Urbervilles where I thought she proved she could definitely act.

The thing I like most about her though is her voice, I find it really distinctive and beautiful - I think it sets her apart from other actresses and she should use it more to her advantage. Pretty faces are ten-a-penny in Hollywood but pretty faces with melodious voices are not so common.