Options

Shaking and looking weird when around other people

cooltvcooltv Posts: 3,517
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have been a bit down lately but also a bit paranoid around people. I have a disability called myoclonus dystonia and it causes the upper part of my body to twitch/shake uncontrollably. Over the last few weeks I have been going for a drink in Mcdonalds, KFC, Subway and other places because I have an alcohol problem so choose to drink soft drinks when i'm out. I go into these places either at lunch time or during the afternoon/evening and when I went into Mcdonalds today my shaking was quite bad. When I go in I always get the staff to take my drink over to the table incase I drop it or spill it. I get all the kids staring at me sometimes and today my shaking was quite bad which draws their attention to me. I felt uncomfortable and feel like I am doing something wrong by going into these places every day and shaking/getting the staff to help me.Am I being silly, like should I go into these places knowing that I shake and draw attention to myself? This is probably going to sound really daft but sometimes I feel like one day someone might report me to the police for shaking and looking really weird when I go into these places especially when there are kids around. I need some advice please :(:(:(

Comments

• Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    Of course you should go into these places! You aren't causing trouble. Kids will always stare I'm afraid if someone who is in some way different comes into 'their world'. The ones who have parents who have taught them to have manners will realise they are staring and stop as they know it's rude. Unfortunately there are some who have no manners, but why the heck should you allow ignorant people to keep you from going out?
    The last I heard there was no law about going out in public with a disability, so carry on!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    screw the lot of them.
    Ive got Vasculitis all over my face and scalp I dont have hair just loads of boils I look like gollum's wife.theres sometimes I cant cover over and thats when the fun begins.
    IVe had people saying should i be out? is it catching..i am scaring the child thats with them you name it ive had it.As for the stares I think I would have less if I worse some Comedy outfit.
    Its very hard and yes its easy to write here and I would be a liar ifI said at times its gotten me so down I would rather stay in.But once you do that its going to be even harder going out.

what I found helped me try going out a wee bit earlier so that you get used to being out and built it up slowly like that.It does help Also if possible see if you can get a friend or Family member to come out a few times also its a very slow process and it will take a while.Im now in the state of mind after a very bad incident last week if people are that SAD thats all they can do is comment.stare and laugh I wish my bloody life was that boring.I truly wish you well xxx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    OP I've sent you a PM.
  • Options
    Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cooltv wrote: »
    I have been a bit down lately but also a bit paranoid around people. I have a disability called myoclonus dystonia and it causes the upper part of my body to twitch/shake uncontrollably. Over the last few weeks I have been going for a drink in Mcdonalds, KFC, Subway and other places because I have an alcohol problem so choose to drink soft drinks when i'm out. I go into these places either at lunch time or during the afternoon/evening and when I went into Mcdonalds today my shaking was quite bad. When I go in I always get the staff to take my drink over to the table incase I drop it or spill it. I get all the kids staring at me sometimes and today my shaking was quite bad which draws their attention to me. I felt uncomfortable and feel like I am doing something wrong by going into these places every day and shaking/getting the staff to help me.Am I being silly, like should I go into these places knowing that I shake and draw attention to myself? This is probably going to sound really daft but sometimes I feel like one day someone might report me to the police for shaking and looking really weird when I go into these places especially when there are kids around. I need some advice please :(:(:(

Of course you should carry on going where you want to go . Over the years I have learned one thing about kids .They are naturally curious and also very willing to accept once anything is explained .So if you feel you ever can, simply tell them its an illness that makes you shake and you might one day need a helping hand and hope they can help you .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course you should carry on going where you want to go . Over the years I have learned one thing about kids .They are naturally curious and also very willing to accept once anything is explained .So if you feel you ever can, simply tell them its an illness that makes you shake and you might one day need a helping hand and hope they can help you .

ive always found children amazing its the 50+ range of people seem to be the ones in need of some manners.
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Feel sorry for your suffering OP but should you be eating junk food everyday?!? Won't an increase in weight cause you shakings to gain momentum? Ignore people staring at you anyhow.
  • Options
    Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ive always found children amazing its the 50+ range of people seem to be the ones in need of some manners.

I am 50+ and have lovely manners .:)
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Feel sorry for your suffering OP but should you be eating junk food everyday?!? Won't an increase in weight cause you shakings to gain momentum? Ignore people staring at you anyhow.

Nothing in the OP to say that he eats anything in these places, nor that he has a weight problem.

I agree that young people are more likely to be mildly curious about your condition rather than negative about it.

Remember that many of them are likely themselves to have relatives with roughly comparable afflictions of one sort or another.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

^^^This is great advice.^^^
    OP please don't feel like you shouldn't be going out to these places, you have just as much right to be there as anyone else - unfortunately people will always stare at anyone or anything different. Would it help if you took a newspaper or book with you to read while you have your drink, so you don't notice people looking at you so much or is the shaking so bad that you wouldn't be able to do that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He said he goes to the places mentioned to have a drink, he didn't say anything about eating there.
  • Options
    tenorladytenorlady Posts: 1,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt very much anyone is going to report you to the police for shaking - do the staff in the fast food restaurants you frequent know you have a medical condition that causes your symptoms? If not, then tell them, the majority of people, old and young, will be compassionate and sympathetic towards you rather than antagonistic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replys. Sometimes I will be out and no one looks or says anything then the next day it can be 'that man is weird' or 'that man is on drugs' and it can be quite difficult. It's because it's quite a rare condition and people don't know how to take it. I am alot better than I used to be confidence wise around people but it is a slow process.
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    He said he goes to the places mentioned to have a drink, he didn't say anything about eating there.

ever?
  • Options
    tenorladytenorlady Posts: 1,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cooltv wrote: »
    Thanks for the replys. Sometimes I will be out and no one looks or says anything then the next day it can be 'that man is weird' or 'that man is on drugs' and it can be quite difficult. It's because it's quite a rare condition and people don't know how to take it. I am alot better than I used to be confidence wise around people but it is a slow process.
    I have a friend who has a similar condition - some people can be cruel, but MOST people aren't downright nasty, and those that are, would probably be mortified if you told them your symptoms were due to a medical issue. Take care of yourself, and have to confidence to tell a few people you see on a regular basis about your illness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ever?

His post says he goes to have a soft drink, he doesn't mention food whatsoever so what has food got to do with anything? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am limited to what I can have in these places because the more I use my hands and concentrate the worse the condition is. I can have a drink with the lid on with a straw and I can just about handle fries without any sauces but that's about it really. I cannot have burgers or anything saucey because of the mess i'd make trying to eat it. The main reason though for going into these places is to have a socialable drink, I very rarely have food.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I agree with everyone else who says you should keep going to the places you have been going to.

I'd just like to relate a little story that truly lifted my heart last week and gives me hope that there are lovely kids around. I was waiting for a presecription in the pharmacy and a boy of around 10-12 was with his Mum, waiting too. He looked out of the window and this conversation ensued -

Boy - 'Mum, Pat's outside'
    Mum - 'Pat who?'
    Boy - 'Tony's Pat'
    Mum - 'Oh, you mean wheelchair Pat'
    Boy (voice rising, hands in air) - 'No, Tony's Pat!'

Obviously he thought it wrong to describe a person by means of being in a wheelchair - it was all I could do from sticking my nose in and telling him what a lovely young man he was. I hope this will help to put across that not all kids are bad mannered and some really are thoughtful and kind.
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh ^^ yes, adults should only go out when accompanied by a responsible child!